Kirkistown, 23 Sep 1967
|1||Malcolm Templeton||Brabham BT16 [BT14 FL-5-65] - Ford twin cam
(see note 1)
|2||John L'Amie||(sports) 2-litre Crosslé 9S [C9/S66/28] - BMW M10
|3||David Baird||Crosslé 12F [C12F/67/33] - Ford twin cam
|4||Andrew Fletcher||(F2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT18 [F2-5-66] - Ford twin cam
(see note 2)
|5||John Watson||Brabham BT16 [F2-19-65] - Ford twin cam
(see note 3)
|R||Tommy Reid||Brabham BT23  - Ford twin cam
(see note 4)
|R||John Pollock||Crosslé 12F [C11F/67/31] - Ford twin cam
|R||Robs Lamplough||(F2) 1.6-litre Lola T62 [SL62/8] - Ford twin cam
(see note 5)
|broken half shaft|
|R||Lingard Goulding||Alexis Mk10 [TR4] - Ford twin cam
|UNK||Kevin Murphy||Brabham BT18 [F2-18-66] - Ford twin cam
(see note 6)
All cars are 1.6-litre Irish 1600cc unless noted.
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- Brabham BT16 [BT14 FL-5-65] (Malcolm Templeton): New to Malcolm Templeton (Ballymena, County Antrim, Northern Ireland) for Irish libre racing, winning 14 libre races over the next three seasons, more than any other Irish driver. Crashed heavily at Dunboyne in July 1966 and rebuilt on a new frame, thought to have been a BT16 frame. Templeton retired after 1967 and the BT14/BT16 was taken over by John Smith, also from Ballymena, and raced for a further two seasons. Sold to Ed Irvine (Conlig, County Down), the father of the future GP driver of the same name, in early 1971 and raced in Formula 4 with a 997cc engine. Then to Gerry Gaw (Bangor, County Down) who raced it in 1972 in the 1600cc class of the Clubmans Specials category with 997cc then 1089cc engines. Then sold to someone in nearby Newtownards who never raced it and later emigrated to Australia, possibly taking the car with him. Subsequent history unknown.
- Brabham BT18 [F2-5-66] (Andrew Fletcher): David Preston ran a Brabham with a 1.6-litre Ford twin-cam engine in libre racing throughout 1966. The car was generally described as a BT14 but that may just be because comentators were used to the twincam Brabham being a BT14. His season was punctuated by a serious accident at Silverstone on 25 Jun and he was not seen again for eight weeks. Andrew Fletcher then raced a Brabham BT18 in F2 and in libre in 1967, the car being identified by Motoring News as one that had been raced in libre during 1966. Then, in January 1969, when Fletcher traded up to a Chevron B8, his BT18 was described as being ex-Preston. The subsequent history of the Brabham is unknown.
- Brabham BT16 [F2-19-65] (John Watson): Jack Brabham's works SCA-engined BT16, used during the 1965 mid-season and also raced by Chris Irwin when the Honda project was revived. To Robs Lamplough (London) for 1966 and retained for 1967. To John Watson (Craigavad, County Down, Northern Ireland) for Irish racing in 1967 and fitted with a Lotus-Ford twin-cam. Retained for 1968. Sold to Dave Berry (Colwyn Bay, Wales) for 1969 and used in UK libre; then fitted with an Oldsmobile V8 for 1970, 1971 and 1972. Last seen in October 1972.
- Brabham BT23  (Tommy Reid): Entered by Motor Racing Developments for Jack Brabham in F2 in 1967 until crashed at Rouen in July. Repaired and sold to Mick Mooney's Irish Racing Cars in July, fitted with a 1600cc Ford twin cam and raced by Tommy Reid (Tandragee, County Armagh, Northern Ireland) in Irish 1600cc Formula events for the rest of 1967 and through 1968. Refitted with a Cosworth FVA for 1969 and dominated the Irish season. To Walter Kinnear (Gilford, County Down, Northern Ireland) with twin cam power for 1970 but crashed heavily at Mondello Park in August. Rebuilt on a new BT23C frame and raced in 1971 and 1972 by Nelson Todd (Lisburn, Northern Ireland). To Maurice Stirling (Crumlin, County Antrim, Northern Ireland) for 1973 and converted to Irish Clubmans for 1974. Advertised from a Ballymoney, County Antrim telephone number in 1979 but then unknown until for sale by Northdown Racing (Ripley, Surrey) in 1982. Then to Bob Wilson (Glasgow) and sold via dealer Jon Bradburn to Andrew Fellowes in late 1984. To Joe Fairley (Belfast, N. Ireland) 1986. To John Moulds (Alderley Edge, Cheshire) 1997. Sold to Steve Padgett (Australia) 2013.
- Lola T62 [SL62/8] (Robs Lamplough): John Surtees' 1966 F2 car according to Lola records, and raced only at Karlskoga in August 1966. To Robs Lamplough (London) at the end of 1966 and raced in 1967 F2 and libre, when it was described as having been updated to T63 specification. Then to John L'Amie in Ireland for 1600cc class racing. Sold to the US in Sep 1968, and almost certain to be the car imported by Pierre Philips of Pierre's Motor Racing (Portland, OR) and raced by Robert Schmidt (Portland, OR) for Formula B in 1969. From Schmidt it was sold to Sans Thompson (Banks, OR), who in turn sold it to Robert 'Bob' Tracy (Hillsboro, OR), who raced it in local Formula B in 1973. While owned by Tracy, the Lola was crashed by David E.B. 'Deb' Ward in 1974 at a driving school at Kent. Many years later, it was acquired by Lawrence Hayes, still in Tracy's livery, and sold by him via Rob Shanahan in February 2012 back to Robs Lamplough.
- Brabham BT18 [F2-18-66] (Kevin Murphy): New for Jack Brabham to race in Formula 2 from April to July 1966, fitted with a Honda engine. Brabham won at Goodwood, Pau, Montjuich Park, Zolder and Reims in this car. Then raced by Alan Rees at Keimola in August, using a Cosworth SCA engine. Not seen again that season. Sold to Kevin Murphy (County Offaly, Ireland), fitted with a 1600cc Ford twin cam engine and raced by Murphy and Frank Keane in Irish libre events in 1967, 1968 and 1969. Sold to Patsy McGarrity (Belfast, Northern Ireland) for 1970, again for Irish libre. To Paddy Farrelly (Lucan, Dublin, Ireland) for libre in 1971 and for Formula Ireland in 1972.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help in any way with our research.
Individual sources for this event
Autosport 29 Sep 1967 p533. The season ended clumsily with the 1600cc cars again being part of a libre race. Prior to the race Templeton led the series on 58 points from Watson on 56, Pollock on 25 and Murphy ("BT14") on 20.