New Zealand Gold Star Race
Manfeild, 30 Oct 1977
|1||Robbie Francevic||Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|2||Richard Melville||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#10 (see note 1)
|3||Ken Smith||March 76B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#11 (see note 2)
|4||Ross Stone||Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson
|5||Norm Lankshear||Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart
|6||Peter Larner||Dolphin ['3'] - Ford BDA England
|7||Eric Morgan||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
#15 (see note 3)
|R||Reg Cook||March 742 ["U1"] - Ford BDA
||Withdrew due to conditions|
|R||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
(see note 4)
|R||Graeme Crawford||Birrana 273 [273-010] - Ford BDA England
|Withdrew due to conditions|
|DNA||Dave Saunders||March 75B ["8"] - Ford BDA
(see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||David Oxton||Chevron B39 - Ford BDA
||Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.06.25|
|2||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.06.31|
|3||Richard Melville||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.06.76|
|4||Ross Stone||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.07.03|
|5||Robbie Francevic||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.07.39|
|6||Reg Cook||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 742 ["U1"] - Ford BDA||1.07.79|
|7||Norm Lankshear||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart||1.07.92|
|8||Peter Larner||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Dolphin ['3'] - Ford BDA England||1.07.96|
|9||Graeme Crawford||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Birrana 273 [273-010] - Ford BDA England||1.08.74|
|10||Eric Morgan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA||1.11.13|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B  (Richard Melville): Chassis number observed on Richard Melville’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5 and described as ex Brambilla. Brambilla's 1976 Trois Rivières car according to Motoring News 10 Feb 77, so a Doug Shierson Racing team car in 1976. As Shierson ran up to four drivers, plus a spare car, at some American and Canadian races, we cannot yet identify users in North America. [However, it does seem we can eliminate Cobb, using 76B . Chassis number observed on Melville’s car by McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4. Dave McKinney advises sold to Unipart for Tiff Needell to use in 1979 Macau GP. Observed on Sonny Rajah’s car by Dave McKinney at Malaysian GP, 1980 and published NZMA 16 Jun 80 p15, so presumably sold to Rajah.
- March 76B  (Ken Smith): Sold via Doug Shierson to Ken Smith (New Zealand) and debuts in early 1977 New Zealand races. Retained to 1981 then sold to Warren Binning. Returned to Smith in 1982 and retained to at least 2003.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (Eric Morgan): Built as a works development car, and tested by Brian Redman. Then entered by Jörg Obermoser's Team Warsteiner Eurorace for Hans Binder to drive in Formula 2 with a Rosche BMW engine, when it was reported to be chassis 32. Brian Redman drove it in the 1976 New Zealand Internationals, still with its 2-litre BMW engine, this time as part of the Fred Opert team. Sold in New Zealand to David Oxton, fitted with a Formula Pacific BDA engine and raced in the New Zealand Formula Pacific series in January 1977. Then to Eric Morgan for Gold Star and International races from 1977 to 1981. Sold to Chris Read for 1982. Later history with the car indicates that it was sold by Read to Kenny Smith in 1991, then to Brian Sampson in 1992, then Peter Whelan in 2000, and Miles Jackson in 2008.
- Ralt RT1  (Dave McMillan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill's RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard - a car originally intended for McMillan's use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
- March 75B ["8"] (Dave Saunders): Carrying chassis plate 75B-8, this car was bought by Kiwi Dave Saunders from March in 1976, after it had been returned to the works. It is unclear why 75B-8 would have been in England but March records do contain a note saying that its Shierson Racing sister car 75B-2 was returned to England for repairs. Presumably Saunders, who had raced in the UK in 1976, took it back with him to New Zealand because it appears in the first two rounds of the 1977 NZ series, being badly damaged in practice for the second. A NZ vehicle registration document [required for all cars in NZ] dated 10 Nov 77 confirms the plate is chassis number 8. The Pukekohe damage was made good with a new tub, bought not from March but John Thompson's fabrication company, numbered M772PU6. The car is now in Australia, and these documents were forwarded from the owner via Bryan Miller, and had been confirmed with Dave Saunders.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.