New Zealand Formula Pacific Race
Wigram, 28 Jan 1979
|1||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#41 (see note 1)
|2||Teo Fabi||March 782/79B  - Ford BDA Hart
#3 March Racing (see note 2)
|3||Brett Riley||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA Swindon
#8 (see note 3)
|4||John Smith||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Weissner
|5||Ken Smith||March 76B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#11 La Valise Travel (see note 4)
|6||Jeff Wood||March 78B - Ford BDA Willis
#4 Great Plains Racing (see note 5)
|7||Eje Elgh||March 782  - Ford BDA Swindon
#2 Dick Bennetts Racing (see note 6)
|8||Steve Millen||Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart
#17 Schollum Racing
|9||Hugh Owen||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Nicholson
|R||Ross Stone||Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Stone
|R||Larry Perkins||March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#1 Colin Giltrap Racing (see note 7)
|DNS||Howard Wood||Lyncar 010  - Ford BDA
|Did not start
|DNS||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 - Ford BDA
(see note 8)
|Did not start
|DNA||Norm Lankshear||Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart
||Did not arrive|
|DNA||Andrew Miedecke||Galloway HG1 - Ford BDA Dewhurst
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.10.7|
|2||Teo Fabi||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782/79B  - Ford BDA Hart||1.11.1|
|3||Brett Riley||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA Swindon||1.11.3|
|4||Larry Perkins||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.11.5|
|5||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.12.0|
|6||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Weissner||1.12.1|
|7||Eje Elgh||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.12.3|
|8||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart||1.12.6|
|9||Jeff Wood||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 78B - Ford BDA Willis||1.12.7|
|10||Ross Stone||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Stone||1.13.4|
|11||Hugh Owen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.14.7|
|12||Howard Wood *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Lyncar 010  - Ford BDA||1.16.2|
|13||Grant Campbell *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 - Ford BDA||1.16.9|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT1  (Dave McMillan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill's RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard - a car originally intended for McMillan's use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
- March 782/79B  (Teo Fabi): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Brett Riley): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in November 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in August 1998 in exchange for a Reynard Formula Holden. It was sold to Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- March 76B  (Ken Smith): Sold via Doug Shierson to Ken Smith (New Zealand) and debuts in early 1977 New Zealand races. Retained to 1981 then sold to Warren Binning. Returned to Smith in 1982 and retained to at least 2003.
- March 78B (Jeff Wood): Jeff Wood (Studio City, CA) had a pair of March 78Bs in 1978, entered by Great Plains Racing in Formula Atlantic in 1978 and he then raced one of them in New Zealand in December 1978 and January 1979. He started the 1979 season with one of the 78Bs at Long Beach, and then had a new 79B at either the second or third race. One of the 78Bs was sold to Greg Sun who ran it (as a 78-79B) in SCCA events in 1979. It was then acquired by Bob Schader and raced on through 1980 and early 1981, including appearances at the Long Beach and Road America Pro races in 1980 and at Long Beach again in 1981. Schader then moved into FSV and the 78B was sold to Dorsey Schroeder (Manchester, MO) and used extensively in SCCA in 1981 and 1982.
- March 782  (Eje Elgh): Eddie Cheever's car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. To Dick Bennetts Racing and converted to Formula Atlantic for Eje Elgh to race in New Zealand in January 1979. Then to Charlie Kirby as a 78B and raced in Atlantic from 1979 to 1981. Offered for sale in On Track in 1981 by Kirby's Transatlantic Racing Services (Norcross, GA). Next seen with Andy Falbo (Detroit, MI) who raced it in US Formula Atlantic in 1983, and again in 1986 and 1988. Retained by Falbo and still owned by him in 2015.
- March 77B  (Larry Perkins): Entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.
- Chevron B39 (Grant Campbell): John Sisk (Lahaska, PA) raced a Formula B Chevron in a NERRC event at Lime Rock in April 1978. At the end of that season New Zealander Grant Campbell bought a Chevron B39 from the US to use in the New Zealand Formula Pacific from January 1979 onwards. Kiwi journalist David McKinney noted that the car wore the '01' chassis plate and was told by Campbell that it had previously been raced by John Sisk. It was retained by Campbell for the 1979/80 and 1980/81 seasons in New Zealand, then taken to Australia for the National Panasonic Formula Pacific series before the start of the 1981/82 New Zealand season. To Steve Cameron (Auckland) for the 1982/83 season. David McKinney advised that it then went to Charlie Thomasen, who also owned the ex-Dave Oxton B34, and then to John Wigston (Auckland) in 1985.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.