Aurora AFX Championship Round
Manfeild, 21 Jan 1980
|1||John Smith||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon
|2||Steve Millen||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Masport
#7 Schollum Bros.
|3||Huub Rothengatter||Chevron B48 [48-79-07] - Ford BDA
#8 Alan Docking Racing
|4||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#1 (see note 1)
|5||David Oxton||Chevron B34 [34-76-OX] - Ford BDA Hart
|6||Brett Riley||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#10 (see note 2)
|7||Larry Perkins||Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA
#4 (see note 3)
|8||Ian Flux||Ehrlich RP5  - Ford BDA Nicholson
|9||Ken Smith||March 782/79B  - Ford BDA
(see note 4)
|10||Mike Thackwell||March 792  - Ford BDA
#3 March Cars - Marlboro
|11||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 - Ford BDA
|12||Andrea de Cesaris||March 792  - Ford BDA
#2 March Cars - Marlboro
|R||Desiré Wilson||March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#9 (see note 5)
|DNS||Bob Donaldson||Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart
||Did not start
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.04.90|
|2||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Masport||1.05.49|
|3||Huub Rothengatter||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B48 [48-79-07] - Ford BDA||1.05.53|
|4||Andrea de Cesaris||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 792  - Ford BDA||1.05.60|
|5||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.79|
|6||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-OX] - Ford BDA Hart||1.05.89|
|7||Brett Riley||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.05.93|
|8||Larry Perkins||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA||1.06.23|
|9||Desiré Wilson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.06.39|
|10||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782/79B  - Ford BDA||1.06.47|
|11||Ian Flux||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ehrlich RP5  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.06.98|
|12||Mike Thackwell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 792  - Ford BDA||1.07.02|
|13||Grant Campbell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 - Ford BDA||1.07.88|
|14||Bob Donaldson *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B42 [42-78-01] - Ford BDA Hart||1.12.32|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT1  (Dave McMillan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill's RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard - a car originally intended for McMillan's use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Brett Riley): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in Nov 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in Aug 1998 then Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- Chevron B39 [39-77-02] (Larry Perkins): New to Tony Martin (Durban, South Africa) and raced in the 1977 South African series. Retained for 1978 as a spare car to Martin's new B45, and and upgraded to B45 specification. Sold for 1979 to Paul England for Peter Larner to race in the early 1979 Australian Internationals. Larry Perkins took over the drive later in 1979, and also drove the car in the Aurora AFX Formula Pacific Championship in New Zealand in early 1980 and the Australian National Panasonic Formula Pacific series in 1981. Some time about 1985 or 1986, the car was sold to Norm Carr (Victoria) who raced it once or twice before damaging one corner at Calder. When Carr acquired it the chassis plate was missing so he had a new one issued by Roger Andreason at Chevron which read "39-77-B-02". It was still owned by Carr in 2003.
- March 782/79B  (Ken Smith): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
- March 77B  (Desiré Wilson): Entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.