New Zealand Formula Pacific Race
Pukekohe, 8 Mar 1981
|1||David Oxton||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA
|2||Ken Smith||March 782/79B  - Ford BDA
#11 (see note 1)
|3||Eric Morgan||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
#6 (see note 2)
|4||Rex Hart||Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA
(see note 3)
|5||Robin Irving||Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Masport
(see note 4)
|6||Steve Cameron||Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA
|R||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 - Ford BDA
#19 (see note 5)
|R||Tom Donovan||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA
#12 (see note 6)
|R||Graeme Lawrence||March 80A  - Ford BDA
|DNS||Ian Capewell||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
||Did not start
|DNS||Dave Saunders||March 77B [75B/"8"—2] - Ford BDA
#25 (see note 7)
|Did not start
|DNS||Warwick Binning||March 76B  - Ford BDA
(see note 8)
|Did not start
|DNS||Robbie Francevic||Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA
||Did not start
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA||0.58.6|
|2||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782/79B  - Ford BDA||0.59.1|
|3||Graeme Lawrence||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDA||0.59.3|
|4||Grant Campbell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 - Ford BDA||0.59.4|
|5||Tom Donovan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA||0.59.9|
|6||Eric Morgan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA||1.00.0|
|7||Rex Hart||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA||1.02.5|
|8||Robin Irving||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Masport||1.03.3|
|9||Ian Capewell *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||1.04.0|
|10||Steve Cameron||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA||1.04.1|
|11||Dave Saunders *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B [75B/"8"—2] - Ford BDA||1.05.7|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 782/79B  (Ken Smith): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (Eric Morgan): Built as a works development car, and tested by Brian Redman. Then entered by Jörg Obermoser's Team Warsteiner Eurorace for Hans Binder to drive in Formula 2 with a Rosche BMW engine, when it was reported to be chassis 32. Brian Redman drove it in the 1976 New Zealand Internationals, still with its 2-litre BMW engine, this time as part of the Fred Opert team. Sold in New Zealand to David Oxton, fitted with a Formula Pacific BDA engine and raced in the New Zealand Formula Pacific series in January 1977. Then to Eric Morgan for Gold Star and International races from 1977 to 1981. Sold to Chris Read for 1982. Later history with the car indicates that it was sold by Read to Kenny Smith in 1991, then to Brian Sampson in 1992, then Peter Whelan in 2000, and Miles Jackson in 2008.
- Surtees TS15  (Rex Hart): New to Graeme Lawrence and raced in the 2-litre class of the 1973 Tasman Cup, using a 1.9-litre Hart BDA. Then raced in Southeast Asian events, using a Hart Ford twin cam engine. Retained for Southeast Asian 1600cc events in 1974, but Lawrence used his new F5000 Lola T332 in the Tasman series. Retained again for Southeast Asian 1600cc events in 1975. He still had the car in early 1976 when he was musing whether to convert it to Formula Pacific. Later in 1976 the car was sold to Rex Hart and fitted with a Cosworth BDA for Formula Pacific, and raced in New Zealand from 1977 to 1981. Sold to Ken Smith in 1982, and sold by him to John Wigston (Auckland) in 1984.
- Modus M3 [047-F3] (Robin Irving): Chassis number observed on Phil Sharp’s car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described in the works record as a development F3 chassis, and built up from spares at David Price Racing, where Sharp was a mechanic. Therefore the car raced through the 1976 Indylantic season in Britain, then taken to his native New Zealand. NZMA reports that the car was sold to Steve Empson. In 1980 the car appears in the NZ series in the hands of Robin Irving.
- Chevron B39 (Grant Campbell): John Sisk (Lahaska, PA) raced a Formula B Chevron in a NERRC event at Lime Rock in April 1978. At the end of that season New Zealander Grant Campbell bought a Chevron B39 from the US to use in the New Zealand Formula Pacific from January 1979 onwards. Kiwi journalist David McKinney noted that the car wore the '01' chassis plate and was told by Campbell that it had previously been raced by John Sisk. It was retained by Campbell for the 1979/80 and 1980/81 seasons in New Zealand, then taken to Australia for the National Panasonic Formula Pacific series before the start of the 1981/82 New Zealand season. To Steve Cameron (Auckland) for the 1982/83 season. David McKinney advised that it then went to Charlie Thomasen, who also owned the ex-Dave Oxton B34, and then to John Wigston (Auckland) in 1985.
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Tom Donovan): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in November 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in August 1998 in exchange for a Reynard Formula Holden. It was sold to Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- March 77B [75B/"8"—2] (Dave Saunders): Carrying chassis plate 75B-8, this car was bought by Kiwi Dave Saunders from March in 1976, after it had been returned to the works. It is unclear why 75B-8 would have been in England but March records do contain a note saying that its Shierson Racing sister car 75B-2 was returned to England for repairs. Presumably Saunders, who had raced in the UK in 1976, took it back with him to New Zealand because it appears in the first two rounds of the 1977 NZ series, being badly damaged in practice for the second. A NZ vehicle registration document [required for all cars in NZ] dated 10 Nov 77 confirms the plate is chassis number 8. The Pukekohe damage was made good with a new tub, bought not from March but John Thompson's fabrication company, numbered M772PU6. The car is now in Australia, and these documents were forwarded from the owner via Bryan Miller, and had been confirmed with Dave Saunders.
- March 76B  (Warwick Binning): Sold via Doug Shierson to Ken Smith (New Zealand) and debuts in early 1977 New Zealand races. Retained to 1981 then sold to Warren Binning. Returned to Smith in 1982 and retained to at least 2003.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.