Aurora AFX Championship Round
Wigram, 25 Jan 1981
|1||David Oxton||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA
|2||Steve Millen||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
#7 Schollum Brothers
|3||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
|4||Rob Wilson||March 80A  - Ford BDA
|5||John Smith||March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#4 (see note 1)
|6||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 - Ford BDA
|7||Ken Smith||March 782/79B  - Ford BDA
#11 (see note 2)
|8||Eric Morgan||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
#6 (see note 3)
|R||Charlie O'Brien||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
#3 (see note 4)
|R||Tom Donovan||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA
#12 (see note 5)
|R||Robin Irving||Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Masport
(see note 6)
|DNS||Adrian Reynard||Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA
|Did not start
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA||1.11.1|
|2||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||1.11.2|
|3||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||1.12.0|
|4||Rob Wilson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 80A  - Ford BDA||1.12.0|
|5||Charlie O'Brien||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||1.12.2|
|6||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.12.6|
|7||Grant Campbell||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 - Ford BDA||1.13.2|
|8||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782/79B  - Ford BDA||1.13.2|
|9||Tom Donovan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA||1.14.0|
|10||Eric Morgan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA||1.14.2|
|11||Adrian Reynard *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA|
|12||Robin Irving||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Masport||1.19.7|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 77B  (John Smith): Entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.
- March 782/79B  (Ken Smith): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (Eric Morgan): New to Team Warsteiner Eurorace for Hans Binder to drive in Formula 2, using a BMW engine. Then to Brian Redman who drove it in the 1976 New Zealand Internationals, still with its 2-litre BMW engine, as part of the Fred Opert team. Sold in New Zealand to David Oxton, fitted with a Formula Pacific BDA engine and raced in the New Zealand Formula Pacific series in January 1977. Then to Eric Morgan for Gold Star and International races from 1977 to 1981. Sold to Chris Read for 1982. Later history with the car indicates that it was sold by Read to Kenny Smith in 1991, then to Brian Sampson in 1992, then Peter Whelan in 2000, and Miles Jackson in 2008.
- Ralt RT1  (Charlie O'Brien): Ralt sales record says sold to Bernard Hunter, delivered 12 Jul 78, but not raced until the 1979 Formula Atlantic season in the UK. Sold to David Duffield for 1980 British Atlantic races. Chassis number given for Ron Barnacle’s car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP, and said to be ex Charlie O’Brien, so presumed to be his car earlier in the 1981 season.
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Tom Donovan): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in Nov 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in Aug 1998 then Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- Modus M3 [047-F3] (Robin Irving): Chassis number observed on Phil Sharp’s car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described in the works record as a development F3 chassis, and built up from spares at David Price Racing, where Sharp was a mechanic. Therefore the car raced through the 1976 Indylantic season in Britain, then taken to his native New Zealand. NZMA reports that the car was sold to Steve Empson. In 1980 the car appears in the NZ series in the hands of Robin Irving.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.