Just Juice International Formula Pacific Series Race
Baypark Raceway, 2 Jan 1983
|1||Allen Berg||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
#4 Graeme Lawrence Racing
|2||Mike Rosen||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
|3||Christian Danner||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#7 Andrew Miedecke (see note 1)
|4||Ken Smith||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#11 (see note 2)
|5||Charlie O'Brien||Ralt RT4/83  - Ford BDD
#3 Erle McRae Racing
|6||Paul Radisich||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
#5 Graham Watson Racing (see note 3)
|7||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
#41 (see note 4)
|8||Grant Campbell||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDD
#19 Shea Racing
|9||Graham Watson||Ralt RT4/83  - Ford BDD
|10||Steve Cameron||Chevron B39 - Ford BDD
|11||Norm Hunter||Ralt RT4/83  - Ford BDD
#1 Auto Clutch Ltd
|NC||Tom Donovan||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDD
(see note 5)
|NC||Eric Morgan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDD
|DNS||Tony Batchelor||March 74B  - Ford BDA
#23 (see note 6)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Hubert Phipps||Tiga FA82  - Ford BDD
|Did not start|
|DNA||Charlie Thomasen||Chevron B49 [49-79-04] - Ford BDD
(see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|10||Dave McMillan||37||Out of petrol|
|Hubert Phipps||DNS: Accident|
|Ken Smith||25||Head gasket|
|Eric Morgan||DNS: Overheating|
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT4/81  (Christian Danner): Ralt sales record says sold to Andrew Meidecke, without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/94; gearbox: FT1423; JM34732 11/80]. The car of Andrew Meidecke in the 1981 Australian season; chassis number given for Meidecke's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]; chassis number given for Meidecke's car at the Selangor GP 29 Nov 81 [NZMA 11 Jan 82 p3];
- Ralt RT4/81  (Ken Smith): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Bob Jane, without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/118; Gearbox FT1356; Fuel cell: JM36679 5/81] Chassis number noted in NZMA report as on the car of Geoff Brabham at the AGP 1981, [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Chassis number given for Jacques Laffite's car at 1982 AGP. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Ken Smith at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83. A separate note by Dave McKinney says that this was the car used by Brabham 1981 AGP and Jacques Laffite 1982 AGP.
- Ralt RT4/82  (Paul Radisich): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 2 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/123; gearbox FT1482; fuel cell JM36678 6/81] Chassis number given by NZMA for the car of Mike Rosen at Bay Park 3 Jan 82. Described by NZMA report as ex-Jarier, so presumed to be Jarier's car at Macau 1981. A note for Paul Radisich's car at the Bay Park Union Travel Championship race 11 Apr 82 [A/S 15 Apr 82 p48] says that this was the car used earlier in the year by Mike Rosen. Paul Radisich's car at Adelaide 4 Jul 82 is described as 'ex Mike Rosen' [AMSYB-82 p153] Chassis number given for Paul Radisich's car at 1982 AGP, and presumed to be the car used by him throughout the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Paul Radisich at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83.
- Ralt RT4/82  (Dave McMillan): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 16 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/135; gearbox FT1488; fuel cell JM37176 10/81] Dave McMillan's car at Bay Park 3 Jan 82 is described by NZMN as Lees's car from Macau, 1981. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Dave McMillan at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83. Presumed to be the car used by McMillan for the first part of the 1982 North American season, before he was given a 1982 specification car to use [alternatively this may have been RT4-205]. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at 1982 AGP, [AMSYB-82 p167]
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Tom Donovan): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in Nov 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in Aug 1998 then Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- March 74B  (Tony Batchelor): New to Ted Wentz (Philadelphia, PA) and raced in the 1974 British Formula Atlantic season. To New Zealander Alan Crocker, who had moved to England to race in the 1975 British series, but a blown engine curtailed his season. Used occasionally in the 1976 Indylantic series and in libre racing. Croker took the car to New Zealand and raced it in the 1977 Formula Pacific series, then sold it there to Ken Smith, who rented it to Ken Sager to drive in the 1977/78 Gold Star series, and to Robbie Booth for the 1978/79 season. It reappeared with Robbie Hislop in 1981/82, then to Tony Batchelor for 1982/83. Last seen when raced by Keith Laney in 1984/85, and sold by him back to Kenny Smith some time before 1988. Later sold by Smith to Richard Carter in Australia to donate parts to Carter's rebuild of March 73B/8. The remains of the car were sold with the 73B to George Makin (Melbourne, Australia) about 2005.
- Chevron B49 [49-79-04] (Charlie Thomasen): New to Graeme Lawrence (New Zealand) and raced in the Southeast Asian Formula Pacific races in 1979. Crashed in the Selangor Grand Prix in September, and reported to have been written off. To Peter Haskett and rebuilt. Entered by Haskett for Charlie Thomasen in the 1983/84 New Zealand season. Raced by Haskett in the 1983/84 season, and retained for 1984/85. Then unknown until 2003 or 2004, when it was bought from Kenny Smith by Kevin Ban (Christchurch, NZ) of Kelford Cams. It went to Barry Leitch for restoration, and Murray Sinclair commented on TNF in June 2006 that it would need a new monocoque, which was being fabricated. It was shown complete in March 2015, when Ban was due to pick it up.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.
Individual sources for this event
NZMA, Autosport 6 Jan 1983 p50.