Lady Wigram Trophy
Wigram, 2 Dec 1984
|1||Ross Cheever||Ralt RT4/85  - Ford BDD
#2 Graham Watson Racing
|2||Steve Cameron||Ralt RT4/81 - Ford BDD
#4 Rick Shea Racing
|3||Jeff MacPherson||Ralt RT4/83  - Ford BDD
#70 Alan McCall
|4||Ken Smith||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
#11 Apple Car Company (see note 1)
|5||Davy Jones||Ralt RT4/85  - Ford BDD
#1 Graham Watson Racing
|6||Peter Haskett||Chevron B49 [49-79-04] - Ford BDD
James Credit Real Estate (see note 2)
|7||Charlie O'Brien||Ralt RT4/83  - Ford BDD
|8||Ross Zampati||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
(see note 3)
|9||Tom Blackaller||Ralt RT4/83 [81-213] - Ford BDD
Rick Shea Racing
|10||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD
#41 (see note 4)
|11||Ross Cameron||Ralt RT4 - Ford BDD
|UNK||Keith Laney||March 74B  - Ford BDD
(see note 5)
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|Peter Haskett||17||Throttle cable|
|Keith Laney||17||Out of fuel|
|Charlie O'Brien||10||Fuel pump|
|Dave McMillan||10||Wheel bearing|
|1||Davy Jones||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/85  - Ford BDD||1.10.77|
|2||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD||1.11.06|
|3||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD||1.11.11|
|4||Jeff MacPherson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/83  - Ford BDD||1.11.16|
|5||Steve Cameron||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81 - Ford BDD||1.11.59|
|6||Charlie O'Brien||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/83  - Ford BDD||1.12.80|
|7||Peter Haskett||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B49 [49-79-04] - Ford BDD||1.13.45|
|8||Tom Blackaller||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/83 [81-213] - Ford BDD||1.15.47|
|9||Ross Zampati||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDD||1.16.75|
|10||Ross Cameron||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4 - Ford BDD||1.18.25|
|11||Keith Laney||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDD||1.26.44|
|12||Ross Cheever||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/85  - Ford BDD||no time|
Notes on the cars:
- Ralt RT4/82  (Ken Smith): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Bob Jane, without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/118; Gearbox FT1356; Fuel cell: JM36679 5/81] Chassis number noted in NZMA report as on the car of Geoff Brabham at the AGP 1981, [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Chassis number given for Jacques Laffite's car at 1982 AGP. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Ken Smith at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83. A separate note by Dave McKinney says that this was the car used by Brabham 1981 AGP and Jacques Laffite 1982 AGP.
- Chevron B49 [49-79-04] (Peter Haskett): New to Graeme Lawrence (New Zealand) and raced in the Southeast Asian Formula Pacific races in 1979. Crashed in the Selangor Grand Prix in September, and reported to have been written off. To Peter Haskett and rebuilt. Entered by Haskett for Charlie Thomasen in the 1983/84 New Zealand season. Raced by Haskett in the 1983/84 season, and retained for 1984/85. Then unknown until 2003 or 2004, when it was bought from Kenny Smith by Kevin Ban (Christchurch, NZ) of Kelford Cams. It went to Barry Leitch for restoration, and Murray Sinclair commented on TNF in June 2006 that it would need a new monocoque, which was being fabricated. It was shown complete in March 2015, when Ban was due to pick it up.
- Ralt RT4/82  (Ross Zampati): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Smith without delivery date. [Tub no: 81/122; gearbox: FT1475; fuel cell: JM36405 4/81]. The car of John Smith: chassis number given for Smith's car in NZMA report of 1981 AGP, [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Retained by Smith for the 1982 Gold Star season, but very badly damaged in testing before the Adelaide round. [A/S 15 Jul 82 p49; AMSYB-82 p152]. The car was rebuilt around a new Ralt tub. Chassis number given by AMSYB for Smith's car at 1982 AGP so presumably kept the plate.
- Ralt RT4/82  (Dave McMillan): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 16 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/135; gearbox FT1488; fuel cell JM37176 10/81] Dave McMillan's car at Bay Park 3 Jan 82 is described by NZMN as Lees's car from Macau, 1981. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Dave McMillan at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83. Presumed to be the car used by McMillan for the first part of the 1982 North American season, before he was given a 1982 specification car to use [alternatively this may have been RT4-205]. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at 1982 AGP, [AMSYB-82 p167]
- March 74B  (Keith Laney): New to Ted Wentz (Philadelphia, PA) and raced in the 1974 British Formula Atlantic season. To New Zealander Alan Crocker, who had moved to England to race in the 1975 British series, but a blown engine curtailed his season. Used occasionally in the 1976 Indylantic series and in libre racing. Croker took the car to New Zealand and raced it in the 1977 Formula Pacific series, then sold it there to Ken Smith, who rented it to Ken Sager to drive in the 1977/78 Gold Star series, and to Robbie Booth for the 1978/79 season. It reappeared with Robbie Hislop in 1981/82, then to Tony Batchelor for 1982/83. Last seen when raced by Keith Laney in 1984/85, and sold by him back to Kenny Smith some time before 1988. Later sold by Smith to Richard Carter in Australia to donate parts to Carter's rebuild of March 73B/8. The remains of the car were sold with the 73B to George Makin (Melbourne, Australia) about 2005.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.