Goldfields Raceway (Welkom), 5 Feb 1977
|1||Ian Scheckter||March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#1 Lexington Racing (see note 1)
|2||Roy Klomfass||March 77B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#2 Team Gunston
|3||Nols Nieman||Wheatcroft R18  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#5 Benson & Hedges / Alex Blignault
(see note 2)
|4||Tony Martin||Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#4 South Coast Motors
|5||Kevin Stopford||Modus M3  - Ford BDA Nicholson
(see note 3)
|6||Rupert Keegan||March 77B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#21 Doug Shierson Racing
|7||Mike Domingo||March 76B ['1A'] - Ford BDA
#6 Team Domingo
|R||Gilles Villeneuve||Chevron B39 [39-77-01] - Ford BDA Swindon
#20 Valvoline-Chevron Cars
|R||Dave Charlton||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#3 Lucky Strike Racing-Scribante
(see note 4)
|R||Basil van Rooyen||Chevron B34 [34.76.08] - Ford BDA Swindon
|R||Len Booysen||March 76B  - Ford BDA
#9 Golden-Flo Racing with Kenitex
(see note 5)
|DNSC||John Simpson||Modus M3 [022(A)] - Ford BDA Nicholson
||Did not start (crashed)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Atl unless noted.
|1||Ian Scheckter||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.26.7|
|2||Roy Klomfass||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.27.1|
|3||Basil van Rooyen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.08] - Ford BDA Swindon||1.27.3|
|4||Dave Charlton||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.27.6|
|5||Gilles Villeneuve||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-01] - Ford BDA Swindon||1.28.1|
|6||Tony Martin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B39 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.28.3|
|7||Len Booysen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA||1.28.3|
|8||Kevin Stopford||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Modus M3  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.28.4|
|9||Nols Nieman||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Wheatcroft R18  - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.28.5|
|10||Rupert Keegan||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA Swindon||1.29.2|
|11||John Simpson *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [022(A)] - Ford BDA Nicholson||1.35.0|
|12||Mike Domingo||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B ['1A'] - Ford BDA||1.35.1|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- March 77B  (Ian Scheckter): New to Team Lexington for Ian Scheckter to race in the South African Formula Atlantic championship in 1977. Returned to March Engineering in 1978 and sold to Andy Barton (Newcastle upon Tyne), updated to 772P specification, fitted with a 2-litre Ford BDG and used in libre racing. Converted to Formula Atlantic specification for 1979 with a Swindon BDA engine and used in the revised British championship. Retained for 1980 as a hire drive, usually for Cameron Binnie (Cornhill-on-Tweed, Northumberland). Sold to Colin Richardson (Peebles, Scottish Borders, Scotland) for 1981 and 1982. Possibly borrowed back by Barton for a couple of races after his 782/792 was wrecked in April 1981. Subsequent history unknown.
- Wheatcroft R18  (Nols Nieman): Sold new to Alex Blignaut, for the 1976 South African season driven by Nols Neiman. Chassis number given in AS report of Welkom race 10 Feb 76, with the note that ‘last year’s Wheatcroft works car’ was carried as the team spare [R18-002]. Used throughout season, the spare remaining un-raced until 1977. Reported by Ian Hebblewhite as sold to Grant Maben in 1977, debut at Kyalami 1 Oct 77.
- Modus M3  (Kevin Stopford): Works record for the car sold 24 Sep 75 to Dave Charlton in South Africa. Used throughout the 1976 South African season. At Natal Spring Trophy, September 5, 1976, Kevin Stopford appears in an M3, with Charlton debuting a new March 76B. In the A/S report of the Rand Spring Trophy, October 2, 1976, the Stopford car is described as 'ex Charlton'. Stopford appears in the car in the 1977 season; MN 10 Feb 77 p1 again describes the car as ‘ex Charlton’.
- March 76B  (Dave Charlton): Sold to Dave Charlton in South Africa in mid 1976 to replace his Modus M3, debuting at the Rand Winter Trophy, 7 Aug 1976. Retained by Charlton in 1977, then sold mid-1978 to Nols Nieman as a spare car. To Alex Blignaut's team in 1979/80 and later to the Domingo team in exchange for ther 76B/1A.
- March 76B  (Len Booysen): Presumed to be the car of Ian Scheckter, used in the 1976 South African season. Racing tradition has it that Scheckter always had the first car of any of March's production runs, and South African expert Ian Hebblethwaite suggests that Scheckter had both the first chassis of the 76B and 77B production. A/S report of the race at Welkom 10 Feb 76 says that Scheckter's car is "the first of the production examples". Badly damaged in testing accident after the race at Aldo Scribante 27 Mar 76 and at Roy Hesketh Scheckter appears in a car that is described as "brand new" by A/S and having a "new tub" [MN]. Subsequent evidence suggests that the latter was the case, and the rebuilt car, if it still carried a plate, probably kept the identity of chassis 1 to avoid fresh import duties on a new car. The remains of the old tub were sold to the Domingo brothers, who built it up with spares to become 76B-1A in 1977. Sold to Len Booysen in 1977, and loaned by him to Dave Charlton and Bernard Tilanus in 1978.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The South African race results have been compiled by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News plus information supplied by a wide range of contributors.
Individual sources for this event
Motoring News 10 Feb 1877 p1, Rand Daily Mail 7 Feb 1977 p4, Motor Sport Annual of South Africa 1978.