Guards F5000 Championship round
Thruxton, 9 Aug 1970
|1||Frank Gardner||Lola T190 VLWB [190/F1/14] - Chevrolet Mathwall/Lola V8
#30 Motor Racing Research Ltd
|2||Peter Gethin||McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8
#1 Sidney Taylor
|3||Howden Ganley||McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet John Middleton V8
#12 Howden Ganley Racing (see note 1)
|4||Mike Hailwood||Lola T190 LWB ["A"] - Chevrolet Lola V8
#3 Epstein-Cuthbert TEAM LOLA
|5||Alan Rollinson||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet Vegantune V8
#70 Alan Rollinson
|6||David Prophet||McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet Bartz V8
#21 David Prophet
|7||Tony Lanfranchi||Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#7 Ulf Norinder Racing (see note 2)
|8||Fred Saunders||Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8
#66 Mermaid Racing
|9||Ray Calcutt||Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#63 Alan Fraser (see note 3)
|10||Bob Miller||(F5000) 4.7-litre Dulon LD8  - Ford 289 ci JW V8
#98 Robert Miller
|11||Brian Tarrant||Harris RH5 - Chevrolet V8
#90 Ray Harris Ltd.
|12||Dave Berry||(F5000) 3.5-litre Brabham BT16/21B [F2-19-65] - Rover V8
#28 David Berry (see note 4)
|13||Lingard Goulding||Beattie P1100 ['1'] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#31 B.+I. Motorway to Ireland (see note 5)
|14||Davey Powell||Lola T142 [SL142/22] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8
#78 Doug Hardwick (see note 6)
|15||Trevor Taylor||Lola T190 LWB [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8
#77 Doug Hardwick (see note 7)
|16||Kaye Griffiths||Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#10 Ulf Norinder Racing (see note 8)
|DNS||Peter Hawtin||Cooper T90 [F1C/2.69] - Chevrolet V8
#16 Peter Hawtin
|Did not start|
|DNSC||Roy Pike||Leda LT20  - Chevrolet V8
#11 M.F. Bridgeland
|Did not start (crashed)|
| ||Graham McRae||McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8
#2 Graham McRae
|On entry list|
| ||Mike Walker||McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8
#4 Alan McKechnie
|On entry list|
| ||Willie Forbes||Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8
#9 William Forbes (see note 9)
|On entry list|
| ||John Myerscough||(F5000) 4.5-litre Brabham BT11/19 - Oldsmobile Traco V8
#23 John Butterworth
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|17||Peter Hawtin||Did not start (Distributor)|
|Davey Powell||0||Did not start (Oil leak)|
|1||Frank Gardner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 VLWB [190/F1/14] - Chevrolet Mathwall/Lola V8||1.13.6|
|2||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8||1.13.8|
|3||Howden Ganley||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet John Middleton V8||1.14.0|
|4||Mike Hailwood||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 LWB ["A"] - Chevrolet Lola V8||1.14.8|
|5||Alan Rollinson||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet Vegantune V8||1.16.2|
|6||Tony Lanfranchi||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] - Chevrolet Traco V8||1.17.4|
|7||Trevor Taylor||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 LWB [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8||1.18.2|
|8||David Prophet||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1.20.0|
|9||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8||1.20.2|
|10||Ray Calcutt||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet Traco V8||1.23.8|
|11||Bob Miller||(F5000) 4.7-litre Dulon LD8  - Ford 289 ci JW V8||1.24.0|
|12||Lingard Goulding||(F5000) 5-litre Beattie P1100 ['1'] - Chevrolet Traco V8||1.25.6|
|13||Davey Powell||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/22] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8||1.27.2|
|14||Brian Tarrant||(F5000) 5-litre Harris RH5 - Chevrolet V8||1.27.4|
|15||Dave Berry||(F5000) 3.5-litre Brabham BT16/21B [F2-19-65] - Rover V8||1.27.8|
|16||Kaye Griffiths||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet Traco V8||1.35.6|
Notes on the cars:
- McLaren M10B [400-05] (Howden Ganley): Barry Newman for Howden Ganley: UK 1970 (18 races, five second places) - Gordon Spice: Argentinean GP 1971; UK 1971 (11 races + 1 DNS). Rebuilt as 'Kitchmac' by Tony Kitchiner for 1972 season: driven by Gordon Spice (UK: 7 races + 1 DNS), John Kendall (UK: 2 races; US : 1 race only R3 Watkins Glen), Fred Saunders (UK: 1 DNS only), Alan Rollinson (UK: 1 race only), Roger Williamson (UK: 3 races); UK 1973: driven by Kaye Griffiths ( 1 race only), Richard Knight (5 races + 1 DNS). Not seen again after the end of 1973. It has been reported that this car was wrecked in an accident but it appears to have survived its final race in 1973 intact. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] (Tony Lanfranchi): New for Ulf Norinder and raced in the 1970 Tasman series. Then raced in the UK 1970 but crashed in practice for R4 Zandvoort 19 April 1970 and rebuilt on the 11th T190 tub as 190/F1/2-2. Raced again by Norinder for five more races then raced by Tony Lanfranchi at two races but crashed on the warm-up lap at the Oulton Park Gold Cup on 22 August. The car broke its back on landing and was not seen again. Presumed destroyed.
- Lola T142 [SL142/36] (Ray Calcutt): New to Alan Fraser for Keith Holland to drive in British F5000 in 1969 and 1970, and by Ray Calcutt when Holland left the team. Then via Harry Linney and Bob Miller to John Bowtell (Witney, Oxfordshire) who raced it in late 1971 and early 1972, entered by Andrew Cavell. Raced at Silverstone in April by Martin Ridehalgh, and by Bowtell again later in the year. To Richard Brown (Chieveley, Berkshire) for hillclimbs in 1973, then to Bob de la Haye for 1974 and 1975. Then unknown until acquired by John Peskett (Leicester) in 1978. Unused and stored until the car was featured on TV program 'Salvage Squad' broadcast in March 2002. Again unknown until advertised by Marcel Roks (Belgium) 2005 (blue with white stripe, #39). To Will Tomkins (Peterborough, Cambridgeshire) 2005 - Roger Deans (Baldock, Herts) 2006 and debuted at Shelsley Walsh in September 2006. See full history: Lola T142 SL142/36.
- Brabham BT16/21B [F2-19-65] (Dave Berry): Jack Brabham's works SCA-engined BT16, used during the 1965 mid-season and also raced by Chris Irwin when the Honda project was revived. To Robs Lamplough (London) for 1966 and retained for 1967. To John Watson (Craigavad, County Down, Northern Ireland) for Irish racing in 1967 and fitted with a Lotus-Ford twin-cam. Retained for 1968. Sold to Dave Berry (Colwyn Bay, Wales) for 1969 and used in UK libre; then fitted with an Oldsmobile V8 for 1970, 1971 and 1972. Last seen in October 1972.
- Beattie P1100 ['1'] (Lingard Goulding): Built mid-1970 for Lingard Goulding to race in Formula 5000, and in occasional libre races. Retained for 1971 in 'P1100B' specification, but crashed heavily by Goulding at Mallory Park in early July and written off.
- Lola T142 [SL142/22] (Davey Powell): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/22.
- Lola T190 LWB [190/F1/7] (Trevor Taylor): New to Doug Hardwick's Henley Forklift team for the 1970 British Formula 5000 series. Raced by Mo Nunn (2 races), Davey Powell (7 races + 2 DNS) and Trevor Taylor (6 races) in 1970. To Kaye Griffiths (2 races + 1 DNQ), Terry Sanger (1 race only), Ian Ashley (3 races) and Tony Trimmer (1 race only) in 1971, during which time it was acquired by Rocky Plumridge. Retained by Plumridge for 1972 and raced by Ian Ashley (9 F5000 races, and DNQ for the Rothmans 50,000). Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T142 [SL142/35] (Kaye Griffiths): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/35.
- Lola T142 [SL142/31] (Willie Forbes): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/31.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.