Lime Rock Grand Prix
Lime Rock, 7 Sep 1970
|1||David Hobbs||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
#1 Team Surtees, Ltd, Edenbridge, England
|2||George Follmer||Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Falconer & Dunn V8
#16 O'Neil Racing
|3||John Cannon||McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Hogan/Starr Racing Ltd, St Louis, Mo
|4||Eppie Wietzes||McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8
#94 Formula Racing, Toronto, Canada
|5||John Gunn||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
#39 Fred Opert Racing/John Gunn, Miami, Fla.
|6||Dow "Jack" Byers II||Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8
#7 Competition Devl., Seattle, Wash.
(see note 1)
|7||Horst Kroll||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
|8||Ron Grable||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8
|9||Eric Haga||Lola T190 [190/F1/8] - Chevrolet V8
#8 Competition Devl., Seattle, Wash.
(see note 2)
|10||Spence Stoddard||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
#9 Competition Devl., Seattle, Wash.
|11||Kurt Reinold||McKee Mk 12 - Chevrolet V8
#26 Team Nappi Racing, Rockford, Ill
|12||Rich Galloway||Lola T190 [190/F1/1] - Chevrolet V8
#27 Colea Metals Intn'l Ltd, Denver, Colorado
(see note 3)
|13||Bob Stanford||McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8
#70 Bob Stanford, Mars, Pa.
|14||Ludwig Heimrath||McLaren M10A [300-02] - Chevrolet V8
#38 Heimrath Racing, Toronto, Canada
(see note 4)
|15||Tom Wood||Vulcan - Plymouth V8
#23 Tom Wood Racing, Xenia, Ohio
|16||Rex Ramsey||Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8
#22 Aero Structures Dev., Sherman Oaks, Calif.
|17||Dick Stockton||Vulcan - Chevrolet V8
#71 Dick Stockton, Williams Grove, Pa.
|18||George Wintersteen||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
#12 Echlin Ignition/Smothers-Wintersteen Racing Corp., NS, PA
|19||Dick Smothers||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
#10 Echlin Ignition/Smothers-Wintersteen Racing Corp., BH, CA
|20||Bill Brack||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
#85 Bill Brack Racing, Toronto, Canada
|21||Gus Hutchison||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
#51 Champlin Racing, Enid, Okla.
(see note 5)
|22||John Hood||Lola T140 - Chevrolet V8
#89 John R. Hood, Orlando, Fla.
|23||Russ Murray||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|24||Gregg Young||McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8
#5 Young Amer. Racing
|DNS||Fred Phillips||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8
#72 Great Southern Co., Shreveport, Lo.
|Did not start
(car loaned to Grable)
|DNSC||Ron Grable||Lola T190 [190/F1/3] - Chevrolet V8
#4 Williams Racing Ent., Los Altos, Calif
|Did not start (crashed)|
| ||Steve Durst||McLaren M10B [400-13] - Chevrolet V8
#36 Steve Durst, Elkins Park, Pa
|On entry list|
| ||Pete Sherman||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
#52 Pete Sherman, Ashton, Md
|On entry list|
| ||Michael Brockman||Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8
#87 Ground Floor Racing, Santa Ana, Calif
|On entry list|
| ||Gerard Raney||Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8
#90 Gerard Raney, Redwood City, Calif.
|On entry list|
| ||Crockey Peterson||Lola T190 [190/F1/12] - Chevrolet V8
#96 Crockey Peterson Racing Enterprises, Flat River, Missouri
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||0.51.1|
|2||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8||0.52.0|
|3||George Follmer||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Falconer & Dunn V8||0.52.2|
|4||Gus Hutchison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||0.52.8|
|5||George Wintersteen||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||0.52.9|
|6||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8||0.52.9|
|7||Dick Smothers||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||0.53.6|
|8||Bill Brack||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||0.53.6|
|9||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8||0.53.8|
|10||Rex Ramsey||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8||0.54.3|
|11||Spence Stoddard||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||0.54.6|
|12||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||0.55.4|
|13||Eric Haga||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/8] - Chevrolet V8||0.55.4|
|14||Dow "Jack" Byers II||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8||0.55.6|
|15||Rich Galloway||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/1] - Chevrolet V8||0.55.7|
|16||Kurt Reinold||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 12 - Chevrolet V8||0.55.9|
|17||Ludwig Heimrath||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A [300-02] - Chevrolet V8||0.58.0|
|18||Gregg Young||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8||0.58.0|
|19||Dick Stockton||(F5000) 5-litre Vulcan - Chevrolet V8||0.58.0|
|20||Russ Murray||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||0.58.2|
|21||Bob Stanford||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8||0.59.2|
|22||Tom Wood||(F5000) 5-litre Vulcan - Plymouth V8||1.00.2|
|23||John Hood||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T140 - Chevrolet V8||2.01.4|
|24||Ron Grable||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8||No time|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T190 [190/F1/6] (Dow "Jack" Byers II): Test car. Epstein-Cuthbert for Mike Hailwood UK R1 1970 but crashed Heat 1 and replaced by 190/F1/15 for next three races. Original car apparantly to Dow 'Jack' Byers II US 1970 (11 races) and presumably the car he raced at Questor 1971 ("T190/6"). Advertised by Jack Byers 12 Jun 1971. Subsequent history unknown. Note that two cars in the US may have carried this number, Byers' and Don Dierking's ex-Epstein car (see 190/15).
- Lola T190 [190/F1/8] (Eric Haga): New to Eric Haga (Seattle, WA) and raced in the US Pro series in 1970. To Don Baker (Long Beach, CA) for 1971 and used in local SCCA events. To Jim Gustafson (Costa Mesa, CA) for 1974 and again raced in West Coast SCCA events. To Richard Votava (Southern California) in 1975. The log book then identifies a Troy R. Milken (or Millen or Milleau) driving the car in a school on 21 Feb 1976. Then Votava in SCCA Regionals (mainly at RIR) in 1976 and 1977; then SCCA Nationals in 1978 and 1979. To Marshall R. Tarnow March 1980 - Alan Sevadjain (owned with Don Johnstone) and raced at Texas in 1981 - Larry C. Clain (Tulsa, OK) and raced at RIR and elsewhere 1982 - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) 1984 - Chip Boatright (Illinois) 2006. Sold back to original driver Eric Haga (Renton, WA) for historic racing. Appeared in the 2011/12 and 2012/13 Tasman Revival series, but wrecked at Teretonga Park in February 2013.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/1] (Rich Galloway): New to Jerry Hansen and raced at Sebring in December 1969. Also driven by Chuck Parsons (his #44 Aqua Velva T190 at US R1 1970), then by Hansen at the Laguna Seca Pro race on 14 June 1970. Advertised 25 Jul 1970. Apparantly sold to Rich Galloway and raced in the US series, starting from R9 Brainerd 16 Aug 1970. Probably the car used by Galloway Tasman 1971 (crashed by Bobby Brown in practice for R1 but rebuilt for Brown in remaining New Zealand races and then for Galloway in Australia; then crashed at last race. To Charlie Hayes and raced by Bobby Unser at the Questor GP 1971; presumably then the car advertised by Hayes in August 1971. Advertised "Bobby Unser's Questor GP T-190-92" from Los Altos, CA (in the San Francisco Bay Area) April 1972 which would appear to rule it out from being the either the Cal Rayburn or Dick Losk cars. Subsequent history unknown.
- McLaren M10A [300-02] (Ludwig Heimrath): See full history: McLaren M10A 300-02.
- Lola T190 (Gus Hutchison): New to Champlin Racing in July 1970 for Gus Hutchison to drive, replacing the F1 Brabham BT26 with which he had won two rounds of the US F5000 championship. Crashed in practice at Mosport, where Hutchison drove Crockey Peterson's T190 in the race. Hutchison was a non-starter again at Sebring in October, after which he and Doug Champlin parted company. The T190 was advertised by Champ Carr (San Juan Capistrano, CA), Champlin's new venture with Fred Carillo, in Autoweek 13 Feb 1971. Bafflingly advertised ("ex-Hutchison") by Michael Brockman (Orlando, FL), the owner of T190/F1/18, in September 1972. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T142 (Russ Murray): Ross Murray (Dorval, Quebec): entered at Mosport 23 August 1969 and St Jovite 7 Sep 1969, but there is no evidence that he was present at either. The car was entered as #61, but the colour is unknown. Ed Butt, who did the chassis set up for Murray, recalls that it was a brand new car. Murray made his first known appearance at Rockcliffe Airfield, the fourth round of the 1970 Canadian series, and also appeared at Trois-Rivières, Lime Rock and Mosport later in the year. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.