SCCA National (NEOhio Region)
Nelson Ledges, 23 May 1976
|1||Bob Nagel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|2||John Kowalski||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA
(see note 2)
|23||1st in FB|
|3||John Mortensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA
Karaba Racing/Stimola (see note 3)
|23||2nd in FB|
|4||Rick Villate||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
||22||1st in FSV|
|5||Paul Henry||(FC) 1.1-litre Chevron B25 [25-73-15] - Cosworth BDJ
(see note 4)
|22||1st in FC|
|6||R Peter Gates||(FC) 1.1-litre Brabham BT40  - Cosworth BDJ
(see note 5)
|22||2nd in FC|
|7||Herm A. Johnson||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
||21||2nd in FSV|
|8||John R. Fowler||(FC) 1.1-litre Brabham BT41 - Ford BDA Hart
||20||3rd in FC|
|9||Vic Todia||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|20||2nd in FA|
|10||Dave Hansen||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
||20||3rd in FSV|
|11||Gary Passon||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
||18||4th in FSV|
|12||Tom Pomeroy||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T252 [HU57] VW
||11||5th in FSV|
|13||Patrick Garmyn||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8
||10||did not finish (3rd in FA?)|
|14||Tom Outcault||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [6?] - Ford BDA
(see note 7)
|9||did not finish (3rd In FB?)|
|15||Rick Haynes||(FSV) 1.6-litre Royale VW
||1||did not finish (6th in FSV?)|
|16||Bob Welch||(FC) 1.1-litre Lola T240
(see note 8)
|0||did not finish (4th in FC?)|
|DNS||Charles Smith||(FSV) 1.6-litre unknown VW
||Did not start
(Listed as 17th but not mentioned as starter)
|DNS||Chuck Dietrich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38 [15?] - Ford BDA
(see note 9)
|Did not start
|DNS||Robert J. Nelkin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-02?] - Ford BDA
||Did not start
(Chevron B29 FB)
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|1||Bob Nagel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8|
|2||Tom Outcault||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B [6?] - Ford BDA||1m 06.1s|
|3||John Kowalski||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA||1m 06.3s|
|4||Herm A. Johnson||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 - VW||1m 06.6s|
|5||John Mortensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA||1m 07.0s|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU33] (Bob Nagel): See full history: Lola T332 HU33.
- Lola T360 [HU3] (John Kowalski): Sold via North American agent Carl Haas to Bill O'Connor (Highland Park, IL) and run for him by Traylor Engineering in the Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1974. O'Connor won the US GP support race in this car in October 1974. Retained for 1975, when it was used in the Canadian series and at least once in SCCA Nationals, entered by United Racing Ltd. To John Kowalski (Berea, OH), who won Central Division Formula B in 1976 in the car, qualifying for the Runoffs. Kowalski only scored nine points in a Lola in Central Division FB in 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 76B  (John Mortensen): John Mortensen (New York, NY/Weston, CT) raced a March 76B in SCCA events in 1976 and the livery - Midnight blue with red stripe on each side - exactly matches that given in March records for 76B-7.
- Chevron B25 [25-73-15] (Paul Henry): Sold to Geoffrey Freeman (Yellow Springs, OH) of Freeman Racing Enterprises for SCCA Formula B. Ostensibly for Bobby Brown to use in late season Atlantic races. Brown is entered in a blue B25 at Watkins Glen but does not appear. He may have used the car at Trois Rivieres but is not on the entry list at Elkhart Lake. Brown does not remember driving a B25. Then sold by Freeman to Paul Henry (Clyde, OH) and converted to FC spec with a BDJ engine. Run for many years in SCCA class FC in Central Division and Henry qualified for the SCCA Runoffs in 1974 and 1975 in this car, before changing to a newer Chevron B34. Retained by the Henry family until sold to David Gathercole in 2008 and restored for UK historic racing. Raced by Gathercole and Steve Allen in HSCC racing in 2012 and 2014. Sold to Jamie Brashaw in 2014, and raced in HSCC events in 2015.
- Brabham BT40  (R Peter Gates): New to Ken Duclos (Boxboro, MA) and raced in Formula B in 1973, winning the Northeast Division title, and the National title by winning the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta in November. Retained for 1974, and again won both the Northeast title and the National title, and towards the end of that season was fitted with a Cosworth BDA for Formula Atlantic. Again retained for 1975, now with the BDA in Formula B, and Duclos won a third successive NEDiv title in the car, but this time retired at the Runoffs. In 1975, the car wore Falconer bodywork. Sold to Peter Gates (Claymont, DE) for 1976, fitted with a 1.1-litre Cosworth BDJ for Formula C, and finished third in the NEDiv FC title. To Jon Sley (Claymont, Delaware) for FC again in 1977, finishing fifth in NEDiv. The car was next seen when advertised by Gates in 1992 as restored with a new tub. After that, it was next mentioned by Michael Rand in February 2018 as having been recently purchased. By April 2015, Rand had sold it to Bob Burnside (Dexter, MI).
- McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] (Vic Todia): Bought by Tom Jones in the autumn of 1972 from Fred Opert as a kit, and built up by Jones and his father. Raced in the US series in 1973 and 1974. Sold to the father of Vic Todia (Parma Heights, OH) who raced in SCCA and 'Pro' events in 1976 and then SCCA events in 1977 and 1978. Acquired by Len Arnold (Greeley, Colorado) 1989, who restored the car and sold it to McLaren collector Harry Mathews in November 1990. Sold to Kiwi Tony Roberts (Auckland, New Zealand) to race in the 2007/08 F5000 Tasman Revival series. Sold to Tim Rush (Feilding, NZ), and raced in the 2009/10 Revival series. Later damaged at Hampton Downs in January 2015. More information about McLaren M22 M22-3-72
- March 76B [6?] (Tom Outcault): Tom Outcault (Middletown, OH or Cranford, NJ) raced a blue #31 March 76B in 1976, entered by Tom Outcault Racing. The colour suggest that this was 76B-6, the only blue car in March records for which an owner is not known. Outcault appears to have retained the car for SCCA racing in 1977, but is thought to have acquired a 77B later that season. Outcault was still racing a 76B or 77B as late as 1980. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T240 (Bob Welch): Bob Welch (Alexandria, VA) raced a Lola T240 in Formula C in 1975 and 1976. Nothing more known.
- Brabham BT38 [15?] (Chuck Dietrich): New for Motul Rondel Racing at Hockenheim in mid-April 1972, and raced all season by Bob Wolleck. Raced once by Carlos Reutemann at Enna. Sold to Bill O'Connor (Highland Park, IL) for Formula B for 1973. To Chuck Dietrich (Sandusky, OH) for 1974, then fitted with a Cosworth BDA for 1975, 1976 and 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Individual sources for this event
Formula August 1976 pp33-34. Official results not held in the SCCA Archive at the IMRRC.