Olympic Cup National (Northwest Region SCCA National)
Seattle, 11 Jul 1976
|1||Glenn Brown||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU14] - Chevrolet V8
#79 (see note 1)
|2||Jon Norman||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lotus 69 [71/69.2.FB] - Ford BDA
#58 (see note 2)
|17||1st in FB|
|3||Steve Jizmagian||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU3] - Ford BDA
#4 (see note 3)
|17||2nd in FB|
|4||Bill Hill||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT29  - Ford twin cam
#73 (see note 4)
|17||3rd in FB|
|5||Tom Foster||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38  - Ford BDA
#47 (see note 5)
|16||4th in FB|
|6||Mike Gilbert||(FC) 1-litre Lotus 41 [F3-16] - Ford Cosworth
|7||Terry Annis||(FC) 1-litre Elden Mk14 - Ford
|8||Jan Labell||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A [300-09 (B)] - Chevrolet V8
#3 (see note 6)
|14||2nd in FA|
|9||Byron Snow||(FC) Lotus
|10||Ron Householder||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT40  - Ford BDA Cosworth
#6 (see note 7)
|11||5th in FB|
|R||Russell Rotzler||(FC) Cooper
|R||Dan Marvin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU4] - Ford BDA
#8 (see note 8)
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T330 [HU14] (Glenn Brown): See full history: Lola T330 HU14.
- Lotus 69 [71/69.2.FB] (Jon Norman): New to William Monson (Kent, WA) in February 1971 with pale yellow bodywork according to the Lotus built record. Raced by Monson in the SCCA Continental Championship and SCCA Nationals in 1971 but after only a few races he suffered a major accident at Laguna Seca in June 1971 when he clipped the bridge and was in hospital with significant injuries. He returned to racing but crashed again in a SCCA Regional at Portland in August, seriously damaging the car. This time he retired from racing and sold the wrecked Lotus to Gary Gove (Tacoma, WA). Gove's racing partner Pete Lovely was then in the process of fitting a F1 DFV engine to his 1970 F2 Lotus 69 and Gove was able to use the F2 rear end to repair Monson's car. The result was a very quick car and in 1972 Gove raced it in ICSCC and NW Regional events plus at least one National and the Westwood round of the Canadian FB series. In 1973, Gove won the NorPac title in the Lotus and then sold it to Jon Norman (Oakland, CA) who won the 1975 NorPac FB title and was second in 1976. Norman also took the car to the SCCA Runoffs in 1975, finishing a remarkable fourth, and raced it in several Pro Formula Atlantic races. Norman raced it at least once in SCCA events in 1977 before replacing it with a much newer March 76B. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T460 [HU3] (Steve Jizmagian): New to Steve Jizmagian (San Francisco, CA) and raced in SCCA Nationals and IMSA Formula Atlantic races in 1976. Retained for 1977 for Californian SCCA Nationals and Regionals. Retained again for 1978, again for Californian SCCA Nationals and Regionals. Retained by Jizmagian for 1979, but destroyed in an accident at Westwood in June 1979. What was left was broken for spares.
- Brabham BT29  (Bill Hill): This early chassis number would have raced in 1969 but its first owner is still unknown. Working backwards from its modern ownership, it would have been the black-and-yellow BT29 raced by Allan Lader (Gresham, OR), until Lader got a new 1970-spec BT29 in July. The older car was sold to Ron Householder (Portland, OR) and raced by him in SCCA, CASC and ICSCC events in 1971, 1972 and 1973. Householder sold it to Paul Anderson (Huntington Beach, CA) who entered it for Pete Halsmer in SCCA events in 1974. Then to Bill Hill (Olympia, WA) in March 1975. Hill drove this car, mainly in ICSCC events, until April 1980 at least, and Hill advertised the car "for rent" in mid-1980. Retained by Hill until his death. It was sold by his widow to David Irwin (Evergreen, CO) in December 2017.
- Brabham BT38  (Tom Foster): Brand new for Tom Belsø at Oulton Park at the end of March 1972, entered by Team Viking. Raced by Belsø in F2 all season, then converted to Formula Atlantic for a couple of races late in the year. For sale during much of 1973, then to Tom Foster (Modesto, CA) for SCCA Formula B and ICSCC events from 1974 to 1977. Ron Householder (Portland, OR) then bought it for the engine, and sold the car in July 1978 to Kevin Skinner (Langley, BC, Canada). He won the ICSCC Formula B class in 1979, winning his class in seven races. In 2013, he still owned the car.
- McLaren M10A [300-09 (B)] (Jan Labell): See full history: McLaren M10A 300-09(B).
- Brabham BT40  (Ron Householder): Sold new via Fred Opert to Al Lader (Gresham, OR) and used in the Canadian Formula B championship. Lader crashed in practice at Sanair in June, and it is unclear whether BT40-37 was the car Lader used all season, repaired as required, or whether it was a new car supplied after the Sanair accident. Lader won four races that season and would have won the championship if it had been open to non-Canadians. Sold to Ron Householder (Portland, OR) for 1974, and fitted with a BDA engine for the Canadian series, which was now to Formula Atlantic rules. Also raced in SCCA racing that year, where it was moved up to the Formula A class as the BDA was not allowed into Formula B until 1975. Householder continued to race this car in SCCA and ICSCC racing for the rest of the 1970s. It was then stored in an aircraft hanger until late 2011, when it was acquired by Collin Jackson (Langley, British Columbia, Canada), who had been a teenage crew member for Householder in the 1970s. The car was restored over the next three years by Jackson and Andy Pearson of Specialty Engineering, and it was raced by Jackson in vintage racing in 2015.
- Lola T360 [HU4] (Dan Marvin): Sold to North American agent Carl Haas, where it is almost certainly the car acquired by preparer Dan Fodge. Said to have been run by Fodge for Kenny Briggs, but Briggs did not appear in Pro Formula Atlantic and there is no mention of him in the SCCA's Finish Line or The Wheel magazines covering SCCA racing in California. Then said to have gone to Jon Norman (Oakland, CA) for 1975, but Norman raced an older Lotus in 1975, winning Northern Pacific Division, and no Lola was mentioned at the time. Its first known usage is 1976, when Norman ran it for Dan Marvin (El Sobrante, CA) in Pro Formula Atlantic and in SCCA FB. Sold at the end of 1976 to Cal Huartson (Bellingham, WA), who used in in Regional Formula B in 1977. This is presumably the T360 used by Bruce Yeo (Burnaby, BC, Canada) in ICSCC in 1978, then by Bruce Shaughnessy (Maple Ridge, BC/Coquitlam, BC) in 1979 and 1981 and, in the Formula Libre class, in 1982 and 1983. Shaughnessy advertised the car in 1993, and this is then reported to be the T360 raced by Udo Piersch between 1996 and 2003. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Individual sources for this event
SCCA Sanction 76-N-17P. Official results from SCCA records at the IMRRC. The Wheel August 1976 p7