Indian Summer Races (Arizona Region SCCA National)
Phoenix International Raceway, 12 Sep 1976
|1||Cliff Hansen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Race Shop
#7 (see note 1)
|2||Dick Hayes||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B27 - Ford BDA Hart
#81 (see note 2)
|3||Ray Stephens||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8
|4||Rick Mears||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola VW
|5||Don Schoeny||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola VW
|6||Al Stanchfield||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 - Chevrolet V8
#44 (see note 3)
|7||Jules Williams||(FC) 1.1-litre GRD 373 - Fiat PBS
#51 (see note 4)
|8||Pete Sharland||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T252 VW
|9||Dick Murray||(FV) 1.2-litre Zink
|10||Hank Henschen||(FV) 1.2-litre Autodynamics FV
|11||D. David France||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
#41 (see note 5)
|12||Bill Bradford||(FV) 1.2-litre Lynx
|13||Don Courtney||(FV) 1.2-litre Autodynamics FV
|14||Byron Snow||(FC) Lotus
|15||Marsh Holt||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Alexis
|R||Gerre Payvis||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU19] - Chevrolet V8
#47 (see note 6)
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- March 76B  (Cliff Hansen): Cliff Hansen (Laguna Beach, CA) campaigned a blue/red #6 March 76B in 1976 as part of the Doug Shierson Racing operation. Hansen retained the car for the start of the 1977 season, until his new 77B arrived, and then kept the 76B as a spare, needing it at St-Félicien and at Trois-Rivières after crashing the 77B. Its history in 1978 is unknown, but it is believed to be the car raced by Tom Contino (Ontario, CA) between 1979 and 1981, then sold by him in October 1981 to Damon Meek (Los Gatos, CA), who raced the car in SCCA Nationals in 1982 and has identified it as "76B-02" and ex-Cliff Hansen. Meek sold it to Lee Follansbee (San Jose, CA) and it would be the 76B raced by him in the Sears Point Pro race in 1984. Sold by Follansbee to Michael Olsen (Santa Clara, CA) who raced it at Sears Point in October 1988. Subsequent history unknown.
- Chevron B27 (Dick Hayes): Dick Hayes (Huntingdon Beach, CA) raced a Chevron in SCCA Nationals and one IMSA Pro race in 1975 and 1976. It was described as an "ex-Howdy Holmes B27" by Finish Line in 1975, and a photograph shows that it was dark blue with dark green sidepods when it appeared at Ontario in May 1976. However, the car Holmes drove was also driven by Tom Pryce at Trois-Rivières, and an ex-Pryce car was owned by Dan Neuman in 1975 and 1976. So it is possible that the car Holmes drove at Watkins Glen in October 1974 was a new car, unrecorded in Chevron records, and this is what went to Hayes. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T192 (Al Stanchfield): Al Stanchfield (Fresno, CA) raced a Lola T192 in SCCA Formula A events at Riverside and Phoenix from 1974 to 1978. Steve Smith, who crewed for Stanchfield and raced the car once in an ASRA event in Phoenix, recalls that Stanchfield sold the engine and later sold the car separately in the early 1980s. Nothing more known.
- GRD 373 (Jules Williams): In late 1975, Jules Williams of Automotive Development (Orange, CA) announced that he would be running the ex-Tony Brise GRD 373 in Formula C car in Southern Pacific Division Nationals in 1976. The car was to be powered by an 1100cc Fiat engine developed by PBS Engineering (Garden Grove, CA) with a four-valve head based on the company's 1300cc C Sports Racing engine. Williams qualified for the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta but retired after a single lap. He returned in the car in 1977, when he finished second in the Division. He scored points again in SPDiv in 1979 with the "PBS".
- McRae GM1  (D. David France): See full history: McRae GM1/006.
- Lola T330 [HU19] (Gerre Payvis): See full history: Lola T330 HU19.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Individual sources for this event
SCCA Sanction 76-N-64S. Official results from SCCA records at the IMRRC.