New Zealand Formula Pacific Race
Baypark Raceway, 3 Jan 1977
|1||Steve Millen||Chevron B35 [35-76-06] - Ford BDA Hart
#17 Schollum Bros. (see note 1)
|75||1h 09m 38.6s
|2||Bruce Allison||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#62 (see note 2)
|75||1h 09m 38.9s
|3||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart
#0 Team McMillan (see note 3)
|75||1h 09m 48.0s
|4||John Nicholson||Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson
#1 Nicholson Racing
|75||1h 09m 50.0s
|5||Richard Melville||March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#10 Doug Shierson Racing (see note 4)
|75||1h 09m 51.3s
|6||Andrew Miedecke||Lola T360 ['AU1'] - Ford BDA
#2 (see note 5)
|75||1h 09m 53.2s
|7||David Oxton||Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA
#18 Oxton Motors (see note 6)
|75||1h 10m 29.7s
|8||Howard Wood||March 742 ["U1"] - Ford BDA
#15 Anderson Racing
|9||Graham Baker||Birrana 274 [274-016] - Ford BDA
#67 Bramwell Scaff
|10||Ross Stone||Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson
|11||Dave Saunders||March 75B ["8"] - Ford BDA
#9 (see note 7)
|12||Albert Poon||Chevron B34 [34-76-37] - Ford BDA Swindon
|13||Beng Soeswanto||Lola T460 [HU15] - Ford BDA Swindon
#25 (see note 8)
|14||Ivan Tighe||Elfin 642 [73-428] - Ford BDA Hart
|16||Ken Smith||March 76B  - Ford BDA Nicholson
#11 La Valise Travel (see note 9)
|R||Mikko Kozarowitzky||Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart
#5 Fred Opert Racing
|R||Tom Gloy||Tui BH2 - Ford BDA Nicholson
#7 Team Tui
|R||Enno Buesselman||Elfin 622  - Ford BDA
|R||Wolfgang Prejawa||Birrana 274 [274-012] - Ford BDA
|R||Keke Rosberg||Chevron B34 [34-76-21] - Ford BDA Hart
#4 Fred Opert Racing
|R||Rex Hart||Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA
#19 (see note 10)
|DNS||Philip Sharp||Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Nicholson
|Did not start
|DNQ||Peter Hughes||Brabham BT29  - Ford BDA
#16 (see note 11)
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Alan Crocker||March 74B  - Ford BDA Swindon
#23 (see note 12)
|Did not qualify|
|T||Keke Rosberg||Chevron B34 [34-76-19] - Ford BDA Hart
||(Only used in practice)|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Keke Rosberg||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-21] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.1|
|2||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.3|
|3||Bruce Allison||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.4|
|4||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B35 [35-76-06] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.5|
|5||Tom Gloy||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Tui BH2 - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.54.5|
|6||Mikko Kozarowitzky||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.25] - Ford BDA Hart||0.54.6|
|7||Richard Melville||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Swindon||0.54.8|
|8||John Nicholson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [022(B)/054] - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.54.8|
|9||Graham Baker||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Birrana 274 [274-016] - Ford BDA||0.55.0|
|10||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.55.0|
|11||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B29 [29-75-30] - Ford BDA||0.55.1|
|12||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Lola T360 ['AU1'] - Ford BDA||0.55.1|
|13||Howard Wood||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 742 ["U1"] - Ford BDA||0.55.2|
|14||Enno Buesselman||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Elfin 622  - Ford BDA||0.55.6|
|15||Rex Hart||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA||0.55.9|
|16||Ross Stone||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR3 - Ford BDA Nicholson||0.56.3|
|17||Beng Soeswanto||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Lola T460 [HU15] - Ford BDA Swindon||0.56.7|
|18||Wolfgang Prejawa||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Birrana 274 [274-012] - Ford BDA||0.56.8|
|19||Dave Saunders||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 75B ["8"] - Ford BDA||0.56.9|
|20||Albert Poon||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34-76-37] - Ford BDA Swindon||0.57.0|
|21||Ivan Tighe||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Elfin 642 [73-428] - Ford BDA Hart||0.57.3|
|22||Philip Sharp *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Nicholson|
|23||Alan Crocker *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 74B  - Ford BDA Swindon|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B35 [35-76-06] (Steve Millen): Entered by Fred Opert Racing for the 1976 European F2 season, and raced by José Dolhem in both the Hockenheim and Thruxton races at least, as the chassis number is given in MN reports of both. Chassis number observed on Steve Millen’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published New Zealand Motor Action [NZMA] 28 Jan 77 p5. A/S 6 Jan 77 p5, says ex Opert, and the car used by Keegan at Macau late 1976. Car sold by Millen at the end of 1977 and either destroyed or badly damaged in a testing accident by the new owner. Not known after that date.
- Ralt RT1  (Bruce Allison): Chassis number observed on Bruce Allison's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. New for the Peter Stuyvesant Series in New Zealand. Car recorded by NZMA as sold to Bob Johns in Australia in 1979. NZMA report for Lakeside Formula Pacific race, 19 Jul 81 says that Graeme Lawrence borrowed "Allison's 1977 car".
- Ralt RT1  (Dave McMillan): Consigned by Ralt to Ralt American in summer 1976. Run by Dave McMillan in New Zealand Gold Star series, late 1976. Chassis number observed on Dave McMillan's car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described there as ex Kevin Cogan, so one of the four RT1s [chassis 30; 33; 34; 36] shown in Ralt build records [reproduced Autosport 1977] sent to Brian Robertson for Formula Atlantic series in 1976. Since 30 is known to be the car of Bertil Roos, and 33 that of Craig Hill, we can assume that Cogan indeed used 36 [except at the last race of the year when he is known to use Hill's RT1-33], and 34 was that of Richard Spenard - a car originally intended for McMillan's use in North America, until his sponsorship fell through. Retained by McMillan until at least 1980, and used in both North America and New Zealand. McMillan says took his own car to Canada NZMA 29 Jul 77 p5. NZMA report of the race at Halifax says car used in NZ. Chassis number given for McMillan's car at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1978 [NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4].
- March 76B  (Richard Melville): Chassis number observed on Richard Melville’s car by Dave McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1977, and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5 and described as ex Brambilla. Brambilla's 1976 Trois Rivières car according to Motoring News 10 Feb 77, so a Doug Shierson Racing team car in 1976. As Shierson ran up to four drivers, plus a spare car, at some American and Canadian races, we cannot yet identify users in North America. [However, it does seem we can eliminate Cobb, using 76B . Chassis number observed on Melville’s car by McKinney at Baypark, 2 Jan 1978, and published NZMA 20 Jan 78 p4. Dave McKinney advises sold to Unipart for Tiff Needell to use in 1979 Macau GP. Observed on Sonny Rajah’s car by Dave McKinney at Malaysian GP, 1980 and published NZMA 16 Jun 80 p15, so presumably sold to Rajah.
- Lola T360 ['AU1'] (Andrew Miedecke): Believed to be the prototype T360, which was tested at Silverstone and then used to facilitate construction of production jigs. It was a complete car when acquired by Don Baker of Dolphin Racing and Lola agent Glen Abbey, but dismantled and shipped to Australia in parts, where it was given the identity 'AU1'. Fitted with a Ford twin cam engine for ANF2, and raced by Chris Farrell, Graeme Lawrence, and Kevin Bartlett. Acquired by Fred Gibson from the Bartlett-Abbey organisation in mid-1974. To Doug McArthur for 1975 and 1976, then to Andrew Miedecke and rebuilt as a Formula Pacific for the 1977 New Zealand series. Returned to Australia for John Davis to race as an ANF2 in 1977, then converted to the new single-cam ANF2 and raced by Davis in 1978. Then to Jim Hunter but remained unused until it reappeared in historic racing in 1989. Bought by Colin Haste (Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia) in 2002, and still with him in 2013.
- Chevron B29 [29-75-30] (David Oxton): Built as a works development car, and tested by Brian Redman. Then run for Hans Binder in F2 under the Obermoser/Team Warsteiner Eurorace banner for Hans Binder to drive in Formula 2 with a Rosche BMW engine, when it was reported to be chassis 32. Brian Redman drove it in the 1976 New Zealand Internationals, still with its 2-litre BMW engine, this time as part of the Fred Opert team. Sold in New Zealand to David Oxton, fitted with a Formula Pacific BDA engine and raced in the New Zealand Formula Pacific series in January 1977. Then to Eric Morgan for Gold Star and International races from 1977 to 1981. Sold to Chris Read for 1982. Later history with the car indicates that it was sold by Read to Kenny Smith in 1991, then to Brian Sampson in 1992, then Peter Whelan in 2000, and Miles Jackson in 2008.
- March 75B ["8"] (Dave Saunders): Carrying chassis plate 75B-8, this car was bought by Kiwi Dave Saunders from March in 1976, after it had been returned to the works. It is unclear why 75B-8 would have been in England but March records do contain a note saying that its Shierson Racing sister car 75B-2 was returned to England for repairs. Presumably Saunders, who had raced in the UK in 1976, took it back with him to New Zealand because it appears in the first two rounds of the 1977 NZ series, being badly damaged in practice for the second. A NZ vehicle registration document [required for all cars in NZ] dated 10 Nov 77 confirms the plate is chassis number 8. The Pukekohe damage was made good with a new tub, bought not from March but John Thompson's fabrication company, numbered M772PU6. The car is now in Australia, and these documents were forwarded from the owner via Bryan Miller, and had been confirmed with Dave Saunders.
- Lola T460 [HU15] (Beng Soeswanto): New to American Ted Wentz and raced in the 1976 Indylantic series, entered by Swan Lager Racing. The car remained in Lola's ownership, and was sold at the end of the season via Albert Poon to Indonesian racer Beng Soeswanto, who raced it in the New Zealand Formula Pacific Internationals in January 1977, then in Southeast Asian races later that year. He crashed the car at Penang in May 1977, but was back out for the Macau GP in November. Believed to have been retained for 1978.
- March 76B  (Ken Smith): Sold via Doug Shierson to Ken Smith (New Zealand) and debuts in early 1977 New Zealand races. Retained to 1981 then sold to Warren Binning. Returned to Smith in 1982 and retained to at least 2003.
- Surtees TS15  (Rex Hart): New to Graeme Lawrence and raced in the 2-litre class of the 1973 Tasman Cup, using a 1.9-litre Hart BDA. Then raced in Southeast Asian events, using a Hart Ford twin cam engine. Retained for Southeast Asian 1600cc events in 1974, but Lawrence used his new F5000 Lola T332 in the Tasman series. Retained again for Southeast Asian 1600cc events in 1975. He still had the car in early 1976 when he was musing whether to convert it to Formula Pacific. Later in 1976 the car was sold to Rex Hart and fitted with a Cosworth BDA for Formula Pacific, and raced in New Zealand from 1977 to 1981. Sold to Ken Smith in 1982, and sold by him to John Wigston in 1984.
- Brabham BT29  (Peter Hughes): Entered by Fred Opert Racing for Evan Noyes (Cedarville, MI) in the 1971 Tasman series, where it was fitted with a 1.8-litre Cosworth FVC. This was not the same BT29 that Noyes had used in Formula B in 1970, as that car was later advertised by Opert in the US. Sold to Graeme Lawrence (New Zealand) after the Tasman series, fitted with a Hart twin cam and used in races in South East Asia in early 1971, then with the FVC again for races in New Zealand and Australia. To Leo Geoghegan for SE Asian races in 1972, then to Ken Smith in New Zealand. Next seen when advertised by Bill David (Taupo, New Zealand) in June 1974, still with its FVC and twin cam engines. Raced by Frank Bray and entered by David in 1975, then to Peter Hughes and fitted with a Fiat engine for 1976, then a BDA for 1977. Observed by David McKinney in 1977 to be chassis BT29/23.
- March 74B  (Alan Crocker): New to Ted Wentz (Philadelphia, PA) and raced in the 1974 British Formula Atlantic season. To New Zealander Alan Crocker, who had moved to England to race in the 1975 British series, but a blown engine curtailed his season. Used occasionally in the 1976 Indylantic series and in libre racing. Croker took the car to New Zealand and raced it in the 1977 Formula Pacific series, then sold it there to Ken Smith, who rented it to Ken Sager to drive in the 1977/78 Gold Star series, and to Robbie Booth for the 1978/79 season. It reappeared with Robbie Hislop in 1981/82, then to Tony Batchelor for 1982/83. Last seen when raced by Keith Laney in 1984/85, and sold by him back to Kenny Smith some time before 1988. Later sold by Smith to Richard Carter in Australia to donate parts to Carter's rebuild of March 73B/8. The remains of the car were sold with the 73B to George Makin (Melbourne, Australia) about 2005.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.