New Zealand Formula Pacific Race
Pukekohe, 6 Dec 1981
|1||David Oxton||Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA
|2||Steve Millen||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA
|3||Dave McMillan||Ralt RT1  - Nissan LZ14
|4||Ken Smith||March 782/79B  - Ford BDA
#11 (see note 1)
|5||Graham Watson||Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA
(see note 2)
|6||Mike Rosen||Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDA
(see note 3)
|7||Eric Morgan||Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA
|8||Tom Donovan||March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA
(see note 4)
|9||Steve Cameron||Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA
|R||Bryan Hartley||Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA
|13||Out of petrol|
|R||Robin Irving||Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Masport
(see note 5)
|DNA||Robbie Hislop||March 74B  - Ford BDA
(see note 6)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Grant Campbell||Chevron B39 - Ford BDA
(see note 7)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 1.6-litre F/Pac unless noted.
|1||Steve Millen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA||1.02.8|
|2||Mike Rosen||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/82  - Ford BDA||1.03.0|
|3||David Oxton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/80  - Ford BDA||1.03.4|
|4||Dave McMillan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Nissan LZ14||1.04.5|
|5||Tom Donovan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B ["763-U3"] - Ford BDA||1.05.2|
|6||Ken Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 782/79B  - Ford BDA||1.05.2|
|7||Eric Morgan||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1  - Ford BDA||1.05.9|
|8||Graham Watson||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT4/81  - Ford BDA||1.06.4|
|9||Steve Cameron||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Cuda JR5 - Ford BDA||1.07.2|
|10||Bryan Hartley||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.19] - Ford BDA||1.07.3|
|11||Robin Irving||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Modus M3 [047-F3] - Ford BDA Masport||1.07.8|
Notes on the cars:
- March 782/79B  (Ken Smith): Ricardo Zunino's works car at Thruxton 27 Mar 1978 and presumably all season. Converted to Formula Atlantic for Teo Fabi to race in New Zealand in January 1979 (where it was reported to be wearing plate "782-16", an observation that is now thought to have been incorrect). To Ken Smith (New Zealand) and raced in Formula Pacific in the 1979/80, 1980/81 and 1981/82 seasons. Then to Warren Heron, but not raced until Bay Park in March 1989. Raced twice in 1990, but then stored until two further races, in 1998 and 1999. Sold back to Ken Smith in 2009. To Robert Shaw (UK) in 2010, and restored back to Formula 2 specification. To Marc Devis (Belgium) late 2016.
- Ralt RT4/81  (Graham Watson): Ralt sales record says sold to Graham Watson/Pwee, no delivery date. [Tub no: 81/126; gearbox: FT1478; JM36735 6/81] "Pwee" is Gregg 'Peewee' Siddle, who ran the teams of first Nelson Piquet in F3, and then Roberto Moreno in all junior formulae. Chassis number noted in NZMA report on the car of Nelson Piquet at Australian GP 1981 [NZMA 23 Nov 81 p4]. Chassis number given for Moreno's car in NZMA report of the Bay Park race, 3 Jan 82, and presumed to be the car run by Moreno throughout the NZ series. Chassis number given for Phillip Revell's car at the 1982 AGP and presumed to be the car used by Revell in the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Revell's car also described by AMSYB-82 p166 as 'ex Piquet 1981 AGP'.
- Ralt RT4/82  (Mike Rosen): Ralt sales record says sold to Theodore Racing, delivered 2 Oct 81. [Tub no: 81/123; gearbox FT1482; fuel cell JM36678 6/81] Chassis number given by NZMA for the car of Mike Rosen at Bay Park 3 Jan 82. Described by NZMA report as ex-Jarier, so presumed to be Jarier's car at Macau 1981. A note for Paul Radisich's car at the Bay Park Union Travel Championship race 11 Apr 82 [A/S 15 Apr 82 p48] says that this was the car used earlier in the year by Mike Rosen. Paul Radisich's car at Adelaide 4 Jul 82 is described as 'ex Mike Rosen' [AMSYB-82 p153] Chassis number given for Paul Radisich's car at 1982 AGP, and presumed to be the car used by him throughout the 1982 Australian Gold Star series. Chassis number given NZMN 21 Jan 83 p16 for the car of Paul Radisich at Bay Park, 2 Jan 83.
- March 77B ["763-U3"] (Tom Donovan): Brett Riley took delivery of a March 77B in December 1977 that is believed to have carried the chassis number 763-U3 when it arrived in New Zealand. Riley raced it in Formula Pacific in 1978, 1979 and 1980 before selling it to Tom Donovan who progressively modified it and ran it in hillclimbs as well as F/Pacific up to 1983. He then won the 1984 and 1985 NZ hillclimb championships running a 1800cc Cosworth engine in the car. It was sold to Stuart McChesney in 1985 and again used in hillclimbs. It then went to Kenny Smith around 1987 and then to John Mackinlay (Christchurch) around 1993 who restored it and raced it in historic racing 1994-1996. It passed to Garry Cliff (Magnum Motors, Christchurch) in November 1996 then Peter Finlay in Australia in August 1998 in exchange for a Reynard Formula Holden. It was sold to Kevin Miller in May 1999. Retained May 2003.
- Modus M3 [047-F3] (Robin Irving): Chassis number observed on Phil Sharp’s car by Dave McKinney at Bay Park, 2 Jan 1977 and published NZMA 28 Jan 77 p5. Described in the works record as a development F3 chassis, and built up from spares at David Price Racing, where Sharp was a mechanic. Therefore the car raced through the 1976 Indylantic season in Britain, then taken to his native New Zealand. NZMA reports that the car was sold to Steve Empson. In 1980 the car appears in the NZ series in the hands of Robin Irving.
- March 74B  (Robbie Hislop): New to Ted Wentz (Philadelphia, PA) and raced in the 1974 British Formula Atlantic season. To New Zealander Alan Crocker, who had moved to England to race in the 1975 British series, but a blown engine curtailed his season. Used occasionally in the 1976 Indylantic series and in libre racing. Croker took the car to New Zealand and raced it in the 1977 Formula Pacific series, then sold it there to Ken Smith, who rented it to Ken Sager to drive in the 1977/78 Gold Star series, and to Robbie Booth for the 1978/79 season. It reappeared with Robbie Hislop in 1981/82, then to Tony Batchelor for 1982/83. Last seen when raced by Keith Laney in 1984/85, and sold by him back to Kenny Smith some time before 1988. Later sold by Smith to Richard Carter in Australia to donate parts to Carter's rebuild of March 73B/8. The remains of the car were sold with the 73B to George Makin (Melbourne, Australia) about 2005.
- Chevron B39 (Grant Campbell): John Sisk (Lahaska, PA) raced a Formula B Chevron in a NERRC event at Lime Rock in April 1978. At the end of that season New Zealander Grant Campbell bought a Chevron B39 from the US to use in the New Zealand Formula Pacific from January 1979 onwards. Kiwi journalist David McKinney noted that the car wore the '01' chassis plate and was told by Campbell that it had previously been raced by John Sisk. It was retained by Campbell for the 1979/80 and 1980/81 seasons in New Zealand, then taken to Australia for the National Panasonic Formula Pacific series before the start of the 1981/82 New Zealand season. To Steve Cameron (Auckland) for the 1982/83 season. David McKinney advised that it then went to Charlie Thomasen, who also owned the ex-Dave Oxton B34, and then to John Wigston (Auckland) in 1985.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
The New Zealand race results have been provided by Chris Townsend based on material in Autosport and Motoring News reports in the UK, Motoraction in New Zealand plus the information supplied by a wide range of contributors.