Australian Gold Star Race
Phillip Island, 25 Nov 1973
|1||Johnnie Walker||Lola T330 [HU23] - Repco Holden V8
(see note 1)
|2||John McCormack||Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 2)
|3||Garrie Cooper||Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 3)
|4||Paul Feltham||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Birrana 273 [272-006] - Ford twin cam
|5||Chas Talbot||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam
|6||Bob Minogue||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam
|7||Wolfgang Prejawa||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam
|R||Howie Sangster||McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|R||Alfredo Costanzo||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin Mono Mk IID [MD6756] - Ford twin cam
|R||John Leffler||Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 5)
|R||Kevin Bartlett||Lola T330 [HU22] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Kevin Bartlett||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU22] - Chevrolet V8||1m 35.3s|
|2||Johnnie Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU23] - Repco Holden V8||1m 35.8s|
|3||John McCormack||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8||1m 38.3s|
|4||John Leffler||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8||1m 41.3s|
|5||Garrie Cooper||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8||1m 43.1s|
|6||Howie Sangster||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8||1m 44.1s|
|7||Paul Feltham||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Birrana 273 [272-006] - Ford twin cam||1m 51.2s|
|8||Bob Minogue||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam||1m 53.1s|
|9||Chas Talbot||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam||1m 53.7s|
|10||Wolfgang Prejawa||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 600B  - Ford twin cam||1m 56.0s|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T330 [HU23] (Johnnie Walker): See full history: Lola T330 HU23.
- Elfin MR5  (John McCormack): New to John McCormack in September 1971, and raced in Australian Gold Star, taking two second places and a win from three races. Raced by McCormack in the 1972 Tasman series, and the 1972 Australian Gold Star, where he won one race. Then raced in the 1973 Tasman series, where he won the NZ GP and the Adelaide '100', and in the 1973 Australian Gold Star, when he won two races and the championship. Raced again in the 1974 Tasman, again winning the NZ GP. Raced by Phil Moore in the 1974 Gold Star. Sold to Glen Nichols December 1975, and entered for the Rothmans Internationals, but did not start a race. History then unknown until bought from Les Swallow by Gavin Sala, and sold to John McCormack for restoration some time before 1992.
- Elfin MR5  (Garrie Cooper): Works Elfin Sports Cars entry for Garrie Cooper in the 1972 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1973 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1974 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, and the 1975 Tasman and Australian Gold Star. Rebuilt in August 1975 as the MR5-B. Sold to John Edmonds for the last race of the Australian Gold Star, then the 1976 New Zealand and Australian Internationals, the 1976 national season, and the 1977 Australian Internationals. Then to Phil Ward 1977, and then with Mike Pope from 1980 to 1986. History then unknown until bought from Geoff Munday by Gavin Sala. Sold by Sala to Ken Smith in Nnew Zealand, and reportedly with Barrie Flett in 1994. The car is said to have spent time in a museum in NZ, before being bought by Smith again, and sold back to Geoff Munday some time before 2014.
- McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] (Howie Sangster): See full history: McLaren M18 500-01.
- Elfin MR5  (John Leffler): New to Max Stewart in time for the start of the 1972 Tasman series. Also raced by Stewart in the 1972 Australian Gold Star. Entered by Stewart for John Leffler in a few raced in October/November 1973. Then sold to Baron Robertson and raced in the Tasman series in 1974 and 1975, and in the New Zealand and Australian Internationals in 1976. History then unknown until bought from David Davidson (Melbourne) by Gavin Sala. By 1994, this car was with Adrian Tweedle (Victoria). Subsequent history again unknown, but reported to be with Max Pearson by 2012.
- Lola T330 [HU22] (Kevin Bartlett): New to Kevin Bartlett (Aus) 1973. First raced in Australia September 1973, then in the 1974 Tasman series, but crashed in practice at Pukekohe and effectively written off.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Australian Gold Star results for the period 1971-1976 are now available from a variety Australian magazines and yearbooks. As well as Racing Car News, results have been cross-checked against the 1972 Australian Motoring Yearbook and the 1973 and 1974 Australian Competition Yearbooks. Information is added from Autosport where available. The 1975 season was collated by Glenn Moulds using Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag, Australian Competition Year, "50 Years Of The Australian Grand Prix" and "Australia's Elfin Sports and Racing Cars". For the 1976 season, Glenn was also able to use Motor Sport Reporter from R3 Calder onwards.