Australian Gold Star Race
Oran Park, 29 Jul 1979
|1||John Bowe||Elfin MR8B-C [8783-2] - Chevrolet V8
#11 Ansett Team Elfin
|2||John Wright||Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#76 J. Wright (see note 1)
|3||Johnnie Walker||Lola T332 ['HU22-3'] - Chevrolet V8
#25 Magnum Wheels (see note 2)
|4||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA
#71 Mr Juicy Racing
|5||Chas Talbot||Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet V8
#3 C. Talbot (see note 3)
|6||Paul Hamilton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Elfin 600  - Ford BDA
#88 P. Hamilton
|7||Bob Johns||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Ford BDA
#39 G. Johns (see note 4)
|8||Peter Edwards||Lola T332 [T330 HU23(B)] - Chevrolet V8
#21 P.J. Edwards
|9||Ian Adams||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#8 I. Adams (see note 5)
|10||Clive Millis||(F?) Elfin 720 [630 746301?]
#7 Clive Millis Motors P/L
|11||Rob Butcher||Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8
#10 R. Butcher (see note 6)
|12||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 763/76B - Ford BDA
#31 A Mediecke
|35||retired - unknown|
|13||Mel McEwin||Matich A53/A55  - Repco Holden V8
#17 M. McEwin
|28||retired - unknown|
|14||Peter "Chris" Middleton||Elfin MR5-B  - Repco Holden V8
#5 P. Middleton (see note 7)
|21||retired - unknown|
|15||Larry Perkins||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39/B45 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA
#70 P. England (see note 8)
|14||retired - unknown|
|DNS||Kevin Bartlett||Brabham BT43  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 9)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Jim Richards||Matich A51/A53  - Repco Holden V8
||Did not start|
|DNS||Ron Trim||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Rennmax BN7 - Ford BDA
||Did not start|
|DNS||Ray Hanger||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Dolphin 273 ['2'] - Ford BDA
||Did not start|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||John Bowe||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8B-C [8783-2] - Chevrolet V8|
|2||John Wright||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8|
|3||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 763/76B - Ford BDA|
|4||John Smith||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/77  - Ford BDA|
|5||Larry Perkins||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Chevron B39/B45 [39-77-02] - Ford BDA|
|6||Clive Millis||(F?) Elfin 720 [630 746301?]|
|7||Chas Talbot||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet V8|
|8||Peter "Chris" Middleton||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR5-B  - Repco Holden V8|
|9||Rob Butcher||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8|
|10||Paul Hamilton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Elfin 600  - Ford BDA|
|11||Bob Johns||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Ford BDA|
|12||Jim Richards *||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A51/A53  - Repco Holden V8|
|13||Kevin Bartlett *||(F5000) 5-litre Brabham BT43  - Chevrolet V8|
|14||Ray Hanger *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Dolphin 273 ['2'] - Ford BDA|
|15||Peter Edwards||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [T330 HU23(B)] - Chevrolet V8|
|16||Ron Trim *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Rennmax BN7 - Ford BDA|
|17||Mel McEwin||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A53/A55  - Repco Holden V8|
|18||Ian Adams||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||no time|
|19||Johnnie Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 ['HU22-3'] - Chevrolet V8||no time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T400 [HU15] (John Wright): See full history: Lola T400 HU15.
- Lola T332 ['HU22-3'] (Johnnie Walker): Effectively a new Lola T332 built for Kevin Bartlett to replace the T330 crashed at Pukekohe in January 1974. Raced by Bartlett in the Australian Gold Star from August 1974 onwards. To Bruce Allison for 1975 and raced in Australian Gold Star 1975, and New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976, but crashed and heavily damaged at Oran Park 1 Feb. Rebuilt again on another T332 tub and raced by Allison later in 1976. Sold by Allison to Martin Sampson of Magnum Wheels, and raced for him by Kevin Bartlett in the 1977 Australian Internationals 1977, by Alan Jones at Surfers after he wrecked his T332C HU61, then by Johnnie Walker in September 1977, and in Australia in 1978 and 1979. Sampson retired the car after 1979, and it was displayed at the Birdwood Museum until sold to Bob Minogue in 1987. Raced for Minoque by Barry Ward in 1987, then sold to Paul Cromarty (Aus), then Adrian Whapham (NZ) in 1994 or 1995. To Stan Redmond (Christchurch, NZ) by 2001 and raced in F5000 Tasman Revival series. To Peter Sundberg (Auckland, New Zealand) 2009. To David Banks (Auckland, New Zealand) and raced by him in the 2017/18 Tasman Revival series. More information about Lola T332 'the Kevin Bartlett car'
- Lola T332 [HU36] (Chas Talbot): See full history: Lola T332 HU36.
- Ralt RT1/76  (Bob Johns): New to Bruce Allison, and raced in the New Zealand International Formula Pacific series in January 1977. Not seen for the rest of 1977 and through 1978, but sold to Bob Johns in Australia in 1979. Then unseen again until borrowed by Graeme Lawrence for two races at Lakeside in July 1981.
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Ian Adams): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. In ecember 1974, Kevin Bartlett used the car to win a New Zealand Gold Star race. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
- Lola T330 [HU8] (Rob Butcher): To Haas/Hall and developed by Jim Hall with revised bodywork, radiators and rear wing for Brian Redman in the 1973 US series. Then to Rogers Racing for Larry Harley in the 1974 US series. To Ken Smith (New Zealand) for the 1974/75 season, the New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976. To Chris Milton (South Australia) and raced in Australia from Sep 1977 to Sep 1978. To John Blanden 1978, and driven for him by Rob Butcher from 1979 to 1982. To Bib Stillwell 1988 for Australian historic racing. To Noel Robson (Melbourne, Australia) 1993, and raced in Australian historic racing for many years. More information about Lola T330 HU8
- Elfin MR5-B  (Peter "Chris" Middleton): New to John Walker 1972, but he quickly replaced it with a Matich A50. Sold to Stan Keen and fitted with a Ford V8 later in the 1972 season, but not raced after October 1973. Sold to Peter "Chris" Middleton 1977, and raced in the 1978 Australian Internationals, and in the 1978 and 1979 Australian national seasons. Sold to Tony Parkinson 1979, then to Mike Adams 1981. It was then rebodied by Elfin, renamed 815, and raced by Mike Trengove and by Adams in 1981 and 1982. Sold to Paul Trevethan, then to Peter Brennan (Melbourne, Victoria) in the mid-1980s who restored it to original specification, and fitted a flat plane crank Repco Holden engine. To David Doubtfire in 1991, then to Max Floreani in 1996, and raced by Tony Floreani in historics up to 2013.
- Chevron B39/B45 [39-77-02] (Larry Perkins): New to Tony Martin (Durban, South Africa) and raced in the 1977 South African series. Retained for 1978 as a spare car to Martin's new B45, and and upgraded to B45 specification. Sold for 1979 to Paul England for Peter Larner to race in the early 1979 Australian Internationals. Larry Perkins took over the drive later in 1979, and also drove the car in the Aurora AFX Formula Pacific Championship in New Zealand in early 1980 and the Australian National Panasonic Formula Pacific series in 1981. Some time about 1985 or 1986, the car was sold to Norm Carr (Victoria) who raced it once or twice before damaging one corner at Calder. When Carr acquired it the chassis plate was missing so he had a new one issued by Roger Andreason at Chevron which read "39-77-B-02". It was still owned by Carr in 2003.
- Brabham BT43  (Kevin Bartlett): Brabham BT43/1 race history.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Australian Gold Star results for the period 1971-1976 are now available from a variety Australian magazines and yearbooks. As well as Racing Car News, results have been cross-checked against the 1972 Australian Motoring Yearbook and the 1973 and 1974 Australian Competition Yearbooks. Information is added from Autosport where available. The 1975 season was collated by Glenn Moulds using Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag, Australian Competition Year, "50 Years Of The Australian Grand Prix" and "Australia's Elfin Sports and Racing Cars". For the 1976 season, Glenn was also able to use Motor Sport Reporter from R3 Calder onwards.