Canadian American Prototype Thunder Car Race
Willow Springs, 3 May 1987
|1||Buddy Lazier||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
#19 Tivoli Lodge (see note 1)
|48||1h 03m 18.68s
|2||Bill Tempero||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
#2 Bud Light Special (see note 2)
|48||1h 03m 27.63s
|3||Bill Scott||McKee Mk 18A ['1'] - Chevrolet V8
#44 (see note 3)
|4||Mark Bailey||Frissbee-Lola T330 [HU24] - Chevrolet V8
#88 (see note 4)
|5||John Macaluso||Frissbee-Lola [HU11] - Chevrolet V8
#10 Sorrento Cheese
|6||Al Lamb||Frissbee GR2 - Chevrolet V8
|7||Horst Kroll||Frissbee-Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8
#1 Horst Kroll Racing (see note 5)
|8||Dave Smith||Shadow DN10 [DN8/3A] - Dodge V8
|9||Jim Gradel||March 847  - Chevrolet V8
#18 Gradel Racing
|22||1:Ignition; 2:Oil pressure|
|10||Gene Forsthofel||Penske PC9B  - Chevrolet V8
#77 L.T. Interprises
|27||1:Overheating; 2:Oil leak|
|11||Mike Snow||(Can-Am) March 85C  - Pontiac
#26 (see note 6)
|12||Gerald Nelson||Longhorn LR03 - Chevrolet V8
#57 (see note 7)
|13||Chuck McConnell||Frissbee - Chevrolet V8
|14||Ray Reimer||Frissbee-Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
#64 Ray Reimer Racing (see note 8)
|15||Stuart Baumgard||VDS 004 - Chevrolet V8
#24 (see note 9)
|16||Bruce Langson||Langson 02 - Chevrolet V8
#22 The Gunite Company of Houston, Texas
|17||Wayne Rutherford||March 85C - Chevrolet V8
#21 Texas American Race Teams
|18||Lou Sell||March 85C  - Chevrolet V8
#5 (see note 10)
|UNKE||Randy Zimmer||(Can-Am) 5.9-litre March 83C - Chevrolet 358 ci V8
#14 Texas American Race Teams
|On entry list|
|DNA||Cliff Dawson||(Can-Am 2l) 2-litre March 832  - Hart 420R
#52 Trebas Institute of Recording Arts
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 5-litre Can-Am unless noted.
|1||Buddy Lazier||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 16.12s|
|2||Bill Tempero||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 16.92s|
|3||Chuck McConnell||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee - Chevrolet V8||1m 17.54s|
|4||Lou Sell||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C  - Chevrolet V8||1m 17.98s|
|5||Stuart Baumgard||(Can-Am) 5-litre VDS 004 - Chevrolet V8||1m 18.16s|
|6||Horst Kroll||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8||1m 19.4s|
|7||Al Lamb||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee GR2 - Chevrolet V8||1m 19.68s|
|8||Jim Gradel||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 847  - Chevrolet V8||1m 25.98s|
|9||Mark Bailey||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola T330 [HU24] - Chevrolet V8||1m 26.34s|
|10||Dave Smith||(Can-Am) 5-litre Shadow DN10 [DN8/3A] - Dodge V8||1m 27.39s|
|11||Ray Reimer||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8||1m 27.76s|
|12||Bill Scott||(Can-Am) 5-litre McKee Mk 18A ['1'] - Chevrolet V8||1m 27.8s|
|13||Gene Forsthofel||(Can-Am) 5-litre Penske PC9B  - Chevrolet V8||1m 27.8s|
|14||John Macaluso||(Can-Am) 5-litre Frissbee-Lola [HU11] - Chevrolet V8||1m 31.34s|
|15||Gerald Nelson||(Can-Am) 5-litre Longhorn LR03 - Chevrolet V8||1m 33.06s|
|16||Mike Snow||(Can-Am) March 85C  - Pontiac||1m 38.83s|
|17||Bruce Langson||(Can-Am) 5-litre Langson 02 - Chevrolet V8|
|18||Wayne Rutherford||(Can-Am) 5-litre March 85C - Chevrolet V8|
Notes on the cars:
- March 85C  (Buddy Lazier): Buddy Lazier's #19 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-08 "ex-Rahal".
- March 85C  (Bill Tempero): Bill Tempero's #2 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-51 "ex-Rahal".
- McKee Mk 18A ['1'] (Bill Scott): New for Dick DeJarld (Joliet, IL) in 1972, and raced in SCCA Formula A events. Appeared at the Michigan Pro F5000 event in 1973 but did not qualify from the heat. Raced by DeJarld until sold to Ed Midgley (Geneva, IL) for 1976, when it was also raced by Jerry Hansen at Blackhawk Farms. To Robert Goulet (Wauwatsoa, WI) for 1977, and raced in SCCA Formula A. Goulet converted the McKee to sports car bodywork for 1979, appearing at Brainerd in July that year in the ASR class. Raced in Can-Am in 1980 and 1981, then renamed the "Sabre 001" for Can-Am again in 1983, and again in 1985. To Bob McKee and raced by Bill Scott in CAT races in 1986 and 1987. Then restored to its original specification for new owner Tom Simpson (Peoria, IL), and used in vintage racing, appearing at the Chicago Historic Races at Road America in 1988. It ran alongside several other McKee cars in historic races at Road America in the early 1990s, and also ran at HSR Mid-Ohio in August 1993. After a 20-year gap, Simpson ran the Mk 18 again in historic events in 2006.
- Frissbee-Lola T330 [HU24] (Mark Bailey): See full history: Lola T330 HU24.
- Frissbee-Lola T330 [HU2] (Horst Kroll): See full history: Lola T330 HU2.
- March 85C  (Mike Snow): Mike Snow's #26 March 85C-Pontiac Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-11 "ex-Rahal runner Indy '85".
- Longhorn LR03 (Gerald Nelson): Although Gerald Nelson's 1986/87 Can-Am car is listed as a Williams in some entry lists, it was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 as an ex-Unser Longhorn LR03.
- Frissbee-Lola T332 [HU46] (Ray Reimer): See full history: Lola T332 HU46.
- VDS 004 (Stuart Baumgard): Built up by Dallas Motorsports for 1984, using components built by VDS before the team was sold to Norwood-Walker Racing. Raced by Michael Roe in 1984, winning most of its races. Reappeared when used in the filming of a Peugeot TV commercial at Riverside in 1986. Raced in CAT in 1987 by Stuart Baumgard.
- March 85C  (Lou Sell): Lou Sell's #5 March 85C Can-Am car was identified at Willow Springs in 1987 by Martin Spetz as 85C-44 "ex-Michael Andretti Kraco".
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.