Guards F5000 Championship round
Mallory Park, 25 May 1970
|1||Peter Gethin||McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8
|2||Mike Hailwood||Lola T190 ["M"] - Chevrolet V8
|3||Trevor Taylor||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
|4||Mike Walker||McLaren M10B [400-03] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8
#4 (see note 1)
|5||Derrick Williams||Lola T142 [SL142/42] - Chevrolet V8
|6||Davey Powell||Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8
#77 (see note 2)
|7||Mac Daghorn||Leda LT20  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
|8||Kaye Griffiths||Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8
|9||Jock Russell||Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Shelby V8
(see note 3)
|10||Fred Place||Cooper T86C [F1-3-68] - Ford Boss 302 V8
|11||Fred Saunders||Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8
|12||Bob Miller||(F5000) 4.7-litre Dulon LD8  - Ford 289 ci JW V8
|13||Ulf Norinder||Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] - Chevrolet V8
#7 (see note 4)
|14||Graham McRae||McLaren M10B [400-11S] - Chevrolet V8
|15||David Prophet||McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Pierre Soukry||(F5000) 4.5-litre McLaren M3A  - Oldsmobile V8
(see note 5)
|Did not start
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8||0.42.8|
|2||Graham McRae||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-11S] - Chevrolet V8||0.43.4|
|3||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-03] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8||0.43.8|
|4||Mike Hailwood||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 ["M"] - Chevrolet V8||0.44.0|
|5||Trevor Taylor||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||0.44.2|
|6||David Prophet||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet V8||0.44.4|
|7||Ulf Norinder||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] - Chevrolet V8||0.44.6|
|8||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8||0.45.8|
|9||Davey Powell||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8||0.46.0|
|10||Derrick Williams||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/42] - Chevrolet V8||0.46.8|
|11||Mac Daghorn||(F5000) 5-litre Leda LT20  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||0.48.0|
|12||Kaye Griffiths||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8||0.49.4|
|13||Bob Miller||(F5000) 4.7-litre Dulon LD8  - Ford 289 ci JW V8||0.50.0|
|14||Jock Russell||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Shelby V8||0.51.0|
|15||Fred Place||(F5000) 5-litre Cooper T86C [F1-3-68] - Ford Boss 302 V8||0.53.2|
|16||Pierre Soukry *||(F5000) 4.5-litre McLaren M3A  - Oldsmobile V8||0.54.2|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- McLaren M10B [400-03] (Mike Walker): Alan McKenchnie for Mike Walker UK 1970. The monocoque was replaced (by 400-18S) so that Walker could get the lower engine mount specification used by Gethin and Ganley. The 400-03 chassis to Roy Lane (Warwick, Warwickshire) and built up with 5.5-litre Chev for the British Hill Climb Championship 1971. To Richard Shardlow (Baslow, Derbyshire) for hillclimbs in 1972 but rolled at Harewood. To John Bailey and rebuilt for Sprints during 1974 and 1975. To Harry Phillips (Coventry) 1976 for libre. Then unknown until sold in 1984 by Ian Webb (Dorking) to Roger Ealand, and raced in 1985 and 1986. To Paul Palmer and restored by Michael Cane Ltd, then to Ed Hubbard, and then to Ean Pugh (Wales & Monaco) in 1988. However, Ean was quite sure the car he bought was the "ex-Prophet" 400-04, not 400-03. Together with the rest of Pugh's cars, the McLaren is now in a private museum near High Wycombe.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/7] (Davey Powell): New to Doug Hardwick's Henley Forklift for the 1970 UK F5000 series. Raced by Mo Nunn (2 races), Davey Powell (7 races + 2 DNS) and Trevor Taylor (6 races) in 1970, then Kaye Griffiths (2 races + 1 DNQ), Terry Sanger (1 race only), Ian Ashley (3 races) and Tony Trimmer (1 race only) in 1971. To Rocky Plumridge for 1972 and raced by Ian Ashley (9 races + DNQ for Rothmans £50,000). Subsequent history unknown.
- Lotus 70  (Jock Russell): Jock Russell (Ford V8) UK 1970 (debut Mallory Park May 1970), UK 1971, UK 1972 (first rounds only); retained by Russell for many years - Peter Denty (date unknown): restored and raced in UK by Peter's son, James Denty. Raced by James at the Silverstone Classic in 2005 and at Watkins Glen in 2008. Offered for sale by Peter Denty in 2010. Raced again by James Denty at Watkins Glen in 2012 but on behalf of new owner Nick Grewal (Gilford, NH).
- Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] (Ulf Norinder): New for Ulf Norinder and raced in the 1970 Tasman series. Then raced in the UK 1970 but crashed in practice for R4 Zandvoort 19 April 1970 and rebuilt on the 11th T190 tub as 190/F1/2-2. Raced again by Norinder for five more races then raced by Tony Lanfranchi at two races but crashed on the warm-up lap at the Oulton Park Gold Cup on 22 August. The car broke its back on landing and was not seen again. Presumed destroyed.
- McLaren M3A  (Pierre Soukry): Harry Zweifel (Glarus, Switzerland) bought the first McLaren M3A, already equipped with a 4.5-litre Traco Oldsmobile V8 engine, to use in hillclimbs across Europe. His first outing is believed to have been the new course at Lorentzweiler in Luxembourg in April 1966 but such were Zweifel's travels that it may well have appeared earlier. Later in the season, he replaced the original engine with a 4960cc version and retained the car in this form for 1967. Sold to Peter Boner (Pontresina, Switzerland) and used in Swiss national events in 1968 and 1969, but now it seems with the original 4450cc engine. Then to Pierre Soukry (Strasbourg, France) and used in French hillclimbs but also in several F5000 races in 1970. Retained for 1971 but crashed by Soukry at Col de l'Aubisque in May 1971 and not seen again. Soukry replaced it with a pukka F5000 McLaren M10B for 1972. McLaren expert Duncan Fox believes this car is still in France but it hasn't been seen since the late 1970s.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.