Guards F5000 Championship round
Mondello Park, 1 Jun 1970
|1||Trevor Taylor||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
#14 Team Surtees
|84||1h 27m 06.2s
|2||Peter Gethin||McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8
#1 Sid Taylor
|84||1h 27m 13.2s
|3||Frank Gardner||Lola T190 LWB [190/F1/14] - Chevrolet Mathwall/Lola V8
#30 Motor Racing Research
|84||1h 27m 38.4s
|4||Howden Ganley||McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet John Middleton V8
#12 (see note 1)
|84||1h 27m 57.8s
|5||Keith Holland||Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#63 Alan B. Fraser (see note 2)
|6||David Prophet||McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet Bartz V8
|7||Davey Powell||Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8
#77 Doug Hardwick (see note 3)
|8||Kaye Griffiths||Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#10 (see note 4)
|9||Gordon Spice||(F5000) 4.7-litre Kitchiner K3A  - Ford 289 ci JW V8
#99 Tony Kitchiner
|10||Derrick Williams||Lola T142 [SL142/42] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#33 (see note 5)
|11||Bob Miller||(F5000) 4.7-litre Dulon LD8  - Ford 289 ci JW V8
|12||Fred Saunders||Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8
#66 Mermaid Racing
|13||Roy Pike||Leda LT20  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
#11 Malaya Garage
|14||Mike Walker||McLaren M10B [400-03] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8
#4 Alan McKechnie Racing (see note 6)
|15||Fred Place||Cooper T86C [F1-3-68] - Ford Boss 302 V8
|16||Ulf Norinder||Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] - Chevrolet Traco/Lola V8
#7 Ulf Norinder Racing (see note 7)
|DNSC||Mike Hailwood||Lola T190 LWB ["M"] - Chevrolet Lola V8
#3 Epstein-Cuthbert Team Lola
|Did not start (crashed)|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|14||Fred Place||Petrol pipe|
|15||Ulf Norinder||13||Driver unwell|
|16||Mike Walker||9||Spun and stalled|
|12||Derrick Williams||9||Collision with Walker|
|13||Mike Walker||9||Collision with Williams|
|1||Frank Gardner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 LWB [190/F1/14] - Chevrolet Mathwall/Lola V8||0.55.2|
|2||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8||0.55.2|
|3||Trevor Taylor||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||0.55.6|
|4||Howden Ganley||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet John Middleton V8||0.55.6|
|5||David Prophet||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet Bartz V8||0.56.2|
|6||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-03] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8||0.56.4|
|7||Roy Pike||(F5000) 5-litre Leda LT20  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||0.56.8|
|8||Ulf Norinder||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] - Chevrolet Traco/Lola V8||0.57.0|
|9||Davey Powell||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8||0.57.4|
|10||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8||0.58.0|
|11||Derrick Williams||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/42] - Chevrolet Traco V8||0.58.4|
|12||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet Traco V8||0.58.6|
|13||Kaye Griffiths||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet Traco V8||0.59.2|
|14||Bob Miller||(F5000) 4.7-litre Dulon LD8  - Ford 289 ci JW V8||0.59.6|
|15||Gordon Spice||(F5000) 4.7-litre Kitchiner K3A  - Ford 289 ci JW V8||0.58.2|
|16||Fred Place||(F5000) 5-litre Cooper T86C [F1-3-68] - Ford Boss 302 V8||1.04.4|
Notes on the cars:
- McLaren M10B [400-05] (Howden Ganley): Barry Newman for Howden Ganley: UK 1970 (18 races, five second places) - Gordon Spice: Argentinean GP 1971; UK 1971 (11 races + 1 DNS). Rebuilt as 'Kitchmac' by Tony Kitchiner for 1972 season: driven by Gordon Spice (UK: 7 races + 1 DNS), John Kendall (UK: 2 races; US : 1 race only R3 Watkins Glen), Fred Saunders (UK: 1 DNS only), Alan Rollinson (UK: 1 race only), Roger Williamson (UK: 3 races); UK 1973: driven by Kaye Griffiths ( 1 race only), Richard Knight (5 races + 1 DNS). Not seen again after the end of 1973. It has been reported that this car was wrecked in an accident but it appears to have survived its final race in 1973 intact. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T142 [SL142/36] (Keith Holland): New to Alan Fraser for Keith Holland to drive in British F5000 in 1969 and 1970, and by Ray Calcutt when Holland left the team. Then via Harry Linney and Bob Miller to John Bowtell (Witney, Oxfordshire) who raced it in late 1971 and early 1972, entered by Andrew Cavell. Raced at Silverstone in April by Martin Ridehalgh, and by Bowtell again later in the year. To Richard Brown (Chieveley, Berkshire) for hillclimbs in 1973, then to Bob de la Haye for 1974 and 1975. Then unknown until acquired by John Peskett (Leicester) in 1978. Unused and stored until the car was featured on TV program 'Salvage Squad' broadcast in March 2002. Again unknown until advertised by Marcel Roks (Belgium) 2005 (blue with white stripe, #39). To Will Tomkins (Peterborough, Cambridgeshire) 2005 - Roger Deans (Baldock, Herts) 2006 and debuted at Shelsley Walsh in September 2006. See full history: Lola T142 SL142/36.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/7] (Davey Powell): New to Doug Hardwick's Henley Forklift team for the 1970 British Formula 5000 series. Raced by Mo Nunn (2 races), Davey Powell (7 races + 2 DNS) and Trevor Taylor (6 races) in 1970. To Kaye Griffiths (2 races + 1 DNQ), Terry Sanger (1 race only), Ian Ashley (3 races) and Tony Trimmer (1 race only) in 1971, during which time it was acquired by Rocky Plumridge. Retained by Plumridge for 1972 and raced by Ian Ashley (9 F5000 races, and DNQ for the Rothmans 50,000). Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T142 [SL142/35] (Kaye Griffiths): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/35.
- Lola T142 [SL142/42] (Derrick Williams): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/42.
- McLaren M10B [400-03] (Mike Walker): Alan McKenchnie for Mike Walker UK 1970. The monocoque was replaced (by 400-18S) so that Walker could get the lower engine mount specification used by Gethin and Ganley. The 400-03 chassis to Roy Lane (Warwick, Warwickshire) and built up with 5.5-litre Chev for the British Hill Climb Championship 1971. To Richard Shardlow (Baslow, Derbyshire) for hillclimbs in 1972 but rolled at Harewood. To John Bailey and rebuilt for Sprints during 1974 and 1975. To Harry Phillips (Coventry) 1976 for libre. Then unknown until sold in 1984 by Ian Webb (Dorking) to Roger Ealand, and raced in 1985 and 1986. To Paul Palmer and restored by Michael Cane Ltd, then to Ed Hubbard, and then to Ean Pugh (Wales & Monaco) in 1988. However, Ean was quite sure the car he bought was the "ex-Prophet" 400-04, not 400-03. Sold to Keith Norris in June 2020.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/2-2] (Ulf Norinder): New for Ulf Norinder and raced in the 1970 Tasman series. Then raced in the UK 1970 but crashed in practice for R4 Zandvoort 19 April 1970 and rebuilt on the 11th T190 tub as 190/F1/2-2. Raced again by Norinder for five more races then raced by Tony Lanfranchi at two races but crashed on the warm-up lap at the Oulton Park Gold Cup on 22 August. The car broke its back on landing and was not seen again. Presumed destroyed.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.