Guards F5000 Championship round
Oulton Park, 27 Mar 1970
|1||Mike Walker||McLaren M10B [400-03] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8
#4 (see note 1)
|40||1h 07m 26.0s
|2||Peter Gethin||McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8
|40||1h 08m 01.8s
|3||Howden Ganley||McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet V8
#12 (see note 2)
|4||Willie Forbes||Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8
|5||David Prophet||McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet V8
|6||Gordon Spice||(F5000) 4.7-litre Kitchiner K3A  - Ford Shelby Cobra 289 ci V8
|7||Alan Rollinson||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet Vegantune V8
|8||Fred Saunders||Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8
|9||Ulf Norinder||Lola T190 [190/F1/2] - Chevrolet V8
#7 (see note 3)
|10||John Myerscough||(F5000) 4.7-litre Brabham BT11/19 - Oldsmobile Traco V8
|11||Mike Hailwood||Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8
#3 (see note 4)
|12||Davey Powell||Lola T142 [SL142/22] - Chevrolet V8
|13||Trevor Taylor||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
|14||Mo Nunn||Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8
#77 (see note 5)
|15||Carlos Avallone||Lola T140 [SL140/16] - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Kaye Griffiths||Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start|
|DNSC||Mac Daghorn||Leda LT20  - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start (crashed)|
|DNSC||Ian Ashley||Lola T142 [SL142/37] - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start (crashed)|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Mike Walker||20||0.35.08.0||94.30 mph|
|12||Davey Powell||4||Oil pressure|
|13||Trevor Taylor||4||Rear sub-frame|
|Kaye Griffiths||Did not start (Engine - warm up)|
|1||Peter Gethin||20||0.32.03.4||103.35 mph|
|8||Alan Rollinson||Holed oil tank|
|John Myerscough||Did not start (Engine)|
|Ulf Norinder||Did not start (Spin - warm up)|
|1||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8||1.30.0|
|2||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-03] - Chevrolet Bartz/Smith V8||1.30.4|
|3||Mike Hailwood||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8||1.31.4|
|4||Trevor Taylor||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1.32.0|
|5||Ulf Norinder||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/2] - Chevrolet V8||1.35.0|
|6||Howden Ganley||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet V8||1.39.0|
|7||David Prophet||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet V8||1.39.2|
|8||Willie Forbes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8||1.42.4|
|9||John Myerscough||(F5000) 4.7-litre Brabham BT11/19 - Oldsmobile Traco V8||1.46.6|
|10||Mac Daghorn *||(F5000) 5-litre Leda LT20  - Chevrolet V8||1.47.4|
|11||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8||1.54.2|
|12||Mo Nunn||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8||1.57.2|
|13||Carlos Avallone||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T140 [SL140/16] - Chevrolet V8||1.57.6|
|14||Davey Powell||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/22] - Chevrolet V8||1.58.2|
|15||Gordon Spice||(F5000) 4.7-litre Kitchiner K3A  - Ford Shelby Cobra 289 ci V8||1.58.2|
|16||Kaye Griffiths *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8||2.36.2|
|17||Alan Rollinson||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet Vegantune V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- McLaren M10B [400-03] (Mike Walker): Alan McKenchnie for Mike Walker UK 1970. The monocoque was replaced (by 400-18S) so that Walker could get the lower engine mount specification used by Gethin and Ganley. The 400-03 chassis to Roy Lane (Warwick, Warwickshire) and built up with 5.5-litre Chev for the British Hill Climb Championship 1971. To Richard Shardlow (Baslow, Derbyshire) for hillclimbs in 1972 but rolled at Harewood. To John Bailey and rebuilt for Sprints during 1974 and 1975. To Harry Phillips (Coventry) 1976 for libre. Then unknown until sold in 1984 by Ian Webb (Dorking) to Roger Ealand, and raced in 1985 and 1986. To Paul Palmer and restored by Michael Cane Ltd, then to Ed Hubbard, and then to Ean Pugh (Wales & Monaco) in 1988. However, Ean was quite sure the car he bought was the "ex-Prophet" 400-04, not 400-03. Sold to Keith Norris in June 2020.
- McLaren M10B [400-05] (Howden Ganley): Barry Newman for Howden Ganley: UK 1970 (18 races, five second places) - Gordon Spice: Argentinean GP 1971; UK 1971 (11 races + 1 DNS). Rebuilt as 'Kitchmac' by Tony Kitchiner for 1972 season: driven by Gordon Spice (UK: 7 races + 1 DNS), John Kendall (UK: 2 races; US : 1 race only R3 Watkins Glen), Fred Saunders (UK: 1 DNS only), Alan Rollinson (UK: 1 race only), Roger Williamson (UK: 3 races); UK 1973: driven by Kaye Griffiths ( 1 race only), Richard Knight (5 races + 1 DNS). Not seen again after the end of 1973. It has been reported that this car was wrecked in an accident but it appears to have survived its final race in 1973 intact. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/2] (Ulf Norinder): New for Ulf Norinder and raced in the 1970 Tasman series. Then raced in the UK 1970 but crashed in practice for R4 Zandvoort 19 April 1970 and rebuilt on the 11th T190 tub as 190/F1/2-2. Raced again by Norinder for five more races then raced by Tony Lanfranchi at two races but crashed on the warm-up lap at the Oulton Park Gold Cup on 22 August. The car broke its back on landing and was not seen again. Presumed destroyed.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/6] (Mike Hailwood): Test car. Epstein-Cuthbert for Mike Hailwood UK R1 1970 but crashed Heat 1 and replaced by 190/F1/15 for next three races. Original car apparantly to Dow 'Jack' Byers II US 1970 (11 races) and presumably the car he raced at Questor 1971 ("T190/6"). Advertised by Jack Byers 12 Jun 1971. Subsequent history unknown. Note that two cars in the US may have carried this number, Byers' and Don Dierking's ex-Epstein car (see 190/15).
- Lola T190 [190/F1/7] (Mo Nunn): New to Doug Hardwick's Henley Forklift team for the 1970 British Formula 5000 series. Raced by Mo Nunn (2 races), Davey Powell (7 races + 2 DNS) and Trevor Taylor (6 races) in 1970. To Kaye Griffiths (2 races + 1 DNQ), Terry Sanger (1 race only), Ian Ashley (3 races) and Tony Trimmer (1 race only) in 1971, during which time it was acquired by Rocky Plumridge. Retained by Plumridge for 1972 and raced by Ian Ashley (9 F5000 races, and DNQ for the Rothmans 50,000). Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.