Guards F5000 Championship round
Snetterton, 31 Aug 1970
|1||Reine Wisell||McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet V8
#1 Sydney Taylor
|2||Mike Hailwood||Lola T190 LWB ["A"] - Chevrolet Lola V8
#3 Epstein-Cuthbert Team Lola
|3||Howden Ganley||McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet V8
#12 Howden Ganley (see note 1)
|4||Trevor Taylor||Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8
#77 Doug Hardwick (see note 2)
|5||David Prophet||McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet Bartz V8
#21 David Prophet
|6||Roy Pike||Leda LT22  - Chevrolet V8
#11 M.F. Bridgland
|7||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 4.6-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8
#66 Mermaid Racing
|8||Lingard Goulding||Beattie P1100 ['1'] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#31 B+I Motorway to Ireland (see note 3)
|9||Peter Hawtin||Cooper T90 [F1C/2.69] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#16 Peter Hawtin
|10||Alan Rollinson||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
#70 Irish Racing Cars [Mick Mooney]
|11||Chris Summers||Lola T142 [SL142/20] - Chevrolet V8
#88 Chris Summers (see note 4)
|12||Fred Place||Cooper T86C [F1-3-68] - Ford Boss 302 V8
#17 Fred Place
|13||Mike Walker||McLaren M10B [400-18S] - Chevrolet V8
#4 Alan McKechnie Racing
|DNS||Graham McRae||McLaren M10B [400-11S] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Graham McRae
|Did not start|
|DNA||Keith Holland||Lola T142 [SL142/36] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#63 Alan Fraser (see note 5)
|Did not arrive|
| ||Willie Forbes||Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8
#9 William Forbes (see note 6)
|On entry list|
| ||Kaye Griffiths||Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet Traco V8
#10 Ulf Norinder Racing (see note 7)
|On entry list|
| ||Dave Berry||(F5000) 4.5-litre Brabham BT16/21B [F2-19-65] - Rover V8
#28 David Berry (see note 8)
|On entry list|
| ||Mike Woolley||Lotus 43  - Ford Boss 302 V8
#50 G. W. Race Engineering
|On entry list|
| ||Robs Lamplough||Lola T102 [F268/1] - Ford Boss 302 Mathwall V8
#69 Robs Lamplough (see note 9)
|On entry list|
| ||Davey Powell||Lola T142 [SL142/22] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8
#78 Doug Hardwick (see note 10)
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|12||Mike Walker||6||Split sump|
|14||Graham McRae||Did not start (dispute with org)|
|8||Peter Hawtin||7||Not known|
|12||Alan Rollinson||2||Throttle linkage|
|1||Mike Hailwood||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 LWB ["A"] - Chevrolet Lola V8||1.29.6|
|2||Alan Rollinson||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||1.33.6|
|3||Trevor Taylor||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet Vegantune V8||1.34.2|
|4||Roy Pike||(F5000) 5-litre Leda LT22  - Chevrolet V8||1.37.2|
|5||Howden Ganley||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet V8||1.40.8|
|6||Reine Wisell||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-06] - Chevrolet V8||1.41.6|
|7||David Prophet||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1.42.8|
|8||Chris Summers||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/20] - Chevrolet V8||1.49.8|
|9||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-18S] - Chevrolet V8||1.53.2|
|10||Lingard Goulding||(F5000) 5-litre Beattie P1100 ['1'] - Chevrolet Traco V8||1.54.2|
|11||Peter Hawtin||(F5000) 5-litre Cooper T90 [F1C/2.69] - Chevrolet Traco V8||2.00.0|
|12||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 4.6-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8||2.02.0|
|13||Fred Place||(F5000) 5-litre Cooper T86C [F1-3-68] - Ford Boss 302 V8||2.07.2|
|14||Graham McRae *||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-11S] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- McLaren M10B [400-05] (Howden Ganley): Barry Newman for Howden Ganley: UK 1970 (18 races, five second places) - Gordon Spice: Argentinean GP 1971; UK 1971 (11 races + 1 DNS). Rebuilt as 'Kitchmac' by Tony Kitchiner for 1972 season: driven by Gordon Spice (UK: 7 races + 1 DNS), John Kendall (UK: 2 races; US : 1 race only R3 Watkins Glen), Fred Saunders (UK: 1 DNS only), Alan Rollinson (UK: 1 race only), Roger Williamson (UK: 3 races); UK 1973: driven by Kaye Griffiths ( 1 race only), Richard Knight (5 races + 1 DNS). Not seen again after the end of 1973. It has been reported that this car was wrecked in an accident but it appears to have survived its final race in 1973 intact. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/7] (Trevor Taylor): New to Doug Hardwick's Henley Forklift team for the 1970 British Formula 5000 series. Raced by Mo Nunn (2 races), Davey Powell (7 races + 2 DNS) and Trevor Taylor (6 races) in 1970. To Kaye Griffiths (2 races + 1 DNQ), Terry Sanger (1 race only), Ian Ashley (3 races) and Tony Trimmer (1 race only) in 1971, during which time it was acquired by Rocky Plumridge. Retained by Plumridge for 1972 and raced by Ian Ashley (9 F5000 races, and DNQ for the Rothmans 50,000). Subsequent history unknown.
- Beattie P1100 ['1'] (Lingard Goulding): Built mid-1970 for Lingard Goulding to race in Formula 5000, and in occasional libre races. Retained for 1971 in 'P1100B' specification, but crashed heavily by Goulding at Mallory Park in early July and written off.
- Lola T142 [SL142/20] (Chris Summers): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/20.
- Lola T142 [SL142/36] (Keith Holland): New to Alan Fraser for Keith Holland to drive in British F5000 in 1969 and 1970, and by Ray Calcutt when Holland left the team. Then via Harry Linney and Bob Miller to John Bowtell (Witney, Oxfordshire) who raced it in late 1971 and early 1972, entered by Andrew Cavell. Raced at Silverstone in April by Martin Ridehalgh, and by Bowtell again later in the year. To Richard Brown (Chieveley, Berkshire) for hillclimbs in 1973, then to Bob de la Haye for 1974 and 1975. Then unknown until acquired by John Peskett (Leicester) in 1978. Unused and stored until the car was featured on TV program 'Salvage Squad' broadcast in March 2002. Again unknown until advertised by Marcel Roks (Belgium) 2005 (blue with white stripe, #39). To Will Tomkins (Peterborough, Cambridgeshire) 2005 - Roger Deans (Baldock, Herts) 2006 and debuted at Shelsley Walsh in September 2006. See full history: Lola T142 SL142/36.
- Lola T142 [SL142/31] (Willie Forbes): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/31.
- Lola T142 [SL142/35] (Kaye Griffiths): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/35.
- Brabham BT16/21B [F2-19-65] (Dave Berry): Jack Brabham's works SCA-engined BT16, used during the 1965 mid-season and also raced by Chris Irwin when the Honda project was revived. To Robs Lamplough (London) for 1966 and retained for 1967. To John Watson (Craigavad, County Down, Northern Ireland) for Irish racing in 1967 and fitted with a Lotus-Ford twin-cam. Retained for 1968. Sold to Dave Berry (Colwyn Bay, Wales) for 1969 and used in UK libre; then fitted with an Oldsmobile V8 for 1970, 1971 and 1972. Last seen in October 1972.
- Lola T102 [F268/1] (Robs Lamplough): New for Hubert Hahne to race in BMW's F2 team in 1968, first appearing in the German Grand Prix in August, where it used a 2-litre version of the BMW Apfelbeck radial valve engine. Then raced by Hahne in F2 at two races in October 1968, and retained as his F2 in early 1969. Sold in 1970 to Robs Lamplough, who had it fitted with a Mathwall-built Ford Boss 302 engine for Formula 5000, renaming it the 'Lampola'. Retained by Lamplough for many years, until sold in 2018 to Ben Mitchell, who is restoring it to its 1968 Formula 2 specification.
- Lola T142 [SL142/22] (Davey Powell): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/22.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help in any way with our research.