Iron City Beer Nationals (Steel Cities Region SCCA National)
Nelson Ledges, 13 Jun 1976
|1||Bob Nagel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8
#75 (see note 1)
|2||Ken Duclos||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 [34.76.01] - Ford BDA
|3||John Kowalski||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Lola T360 [HU3] - Ford BDA
#25 (see note 2)
|4||John Mortensen||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 76B  - Ford BDA
#89 (see note 3)
|5||Chuck Dietrich||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Brabham BT38 [15?] - Ford BDA
#62 (see note 4)
|6||Patrick Garmyn||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8
|7||Vic Todia||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8
#12 (see note 5)
|8||Rick Villate||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T324 VW
|R||Vince Muzzin||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre March 75B - Ford BDA
#99 (see note 6)
|DNS||Tom Pomeroy||(FSV) 1.6-litre Lola T252 [HU57] VW
|Did not start|
All cars are 1.6-litre FB unless noted.
|Qualifying information not available|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU33] (Bob Nagel): See full history: Lola T332 HU33.
- Lola T360 [HU3] (John Kowalski): Sold via North American agent Carl Haas to Bill O'Connor (Highland Park, IL) and run for him by Traylor Engineering in the Canadian Formula Atlantic series in 1974. O'Connor won the US GP support race in this car in October 1974. Retained for 1975, when it was used in the Canadian series and at least once in SCCA Nationals, entered by United Racing Ltd. To John Kowalski (Berea, OH), who won Central Division Formula B in 1976 in the car, qualifying for the Runoffs. Kowalski only scored nine points in a Lola in Central Division FB in 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 76B  (John Mortensen): John Mortensen (New York, NY/Weston, CT) raced a March 76B in SCCA events in 1976 and the livery - Midnight blue with red stripe on each side - exactly matches that given in March records for 76B-7.
- Brabham BT38 [15?] (Chuck Dietrich): New for Motul Rondel Racing at Hockenheim in mid-April 1972, and raced all season by Bob Wolleck. Raced once by Carlos Reutemann at Enna. Sold to Bill O'Connor (Highland Park, IL) for Formula B for 1973. To Chuck Dietrich (Sandusky, OH) for 1974, then fitted with a Cosworth BDA for 1975, 1976 and 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
- McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] (Vic Todia): Bought by Tom Jones in the autumn of 1972 from Fred Opert as a kit, and built up by Jones and his father. Raced in the US series in 1973 and 1974. Sold to the father of Vic Todia (Parma Heights, OH) who raced in SCCA and 'Pro' events in 1976 and then SCCA events in 1977 and 1978. Acquired by Len Arnold (Greeley, Colorado) 1989, who restored the car and sold it to McLaren collector Harry Mathews in November 1990. Sold to Kiwi Tony Roberts (Auckland, New Zealand) to race in the 2007/08 F5000 Tasman Revival series. Sold to Tim Rush (Feilding, NZ), and raced in the 2009/10 Revival series. Later damaged at Hampton Downs in January 2015. More information about McLaren M22 M22-3-72
- March 75B (Vince Muzzin): Vince Muzzin (Northville, Michigan) drove a red #99 March 75B for Doug Shierson Racing in Formula Atlantic in 1975. Muzzin's main focus in 1975 was Formula Ford, but he retained the 75B for another season of Atlantic in 1976, but without any success. He advertised the car in November 1976, noting that it had a McCoy engine, and again in April 1977. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Individual sources for this event
SCCA Sanction 76-N-32S. Official results from SCCA records at the IMRRC.