Australian Gold Star Race
Oran Park, 4 May 1980
|1||John Bowe||Elfin MR8B-C  - Chevrolet V8
#11 Ansett Team Elfin
|2||John Wright||Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#76 (see note 1)
|3||Jon Davison||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8
#4 Thomson Motor Auctions (see note 2)
|4||Greg Doidge||Matich A53 [A51-005] - Repco Holden V8
|5||Paul Hamilton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Elfin 600  - Ford BDA
|6||Mike Stack||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk6 [62-8] - Renault
|7||Ray Hanger||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA
#89 (see note 3)
|R||Jim Lowe||Chevron B28 [B24 73-07] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|R||Alfredo Costanzo||Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#84 Porsche Cars Australia (see note 5)
|18||Engine - overheating|
|R||Mel McEwin||Matich A53  - Repco Holden V8
|R||Peter "Chris" Middleton||Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8
||10||Suspension joint broke|
|R||Ian Adams||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|7||Oil pump belt|
|R||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Galloway HG1 - Ford BDA
|3||Suspension - rear upright|
|DNS||Geoff Munyard||Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 7)
|Did not start
(Engine failure in warm-up)
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Andrew Miedecke||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Galloway HG1 - Ford BDA||0.45.0|
|2||Alfredo Costanzo||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||0.45.1|
|3||John Bowe||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8B-C  - Chevrolet V8||0.45.4|
|4||John Wright||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||0.45.8|
|5||Peter "Chris" Middleton||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8||0.46.8|
|6||Paul Hamilton||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Elfin 600  - Ford BDA||0.47.5|
|7||Jon Davison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8||0.48.2|
|8||Ray Hanger||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA||0.50.1|
|9||Greg Doidge||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A53 [A51-005] - Repco Holden V8||0.50.1|
|10||Mel McEwin||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A53  - Repco Holden V8||0.50.1|
|11||Mike Stack||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Cheetah Mk6 [62-8] - Renault||0.50.3|
|12||Jim Lowe||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [B24 73-07] - Chevrolet V8||0.53.7|
|13||Geoff Munyard *||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8||0.54.4|
|14||Ian Adams||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||DNP|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T400 [HU15] (John Wright): See full history: Lola T400 HU15.
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Jon Davison): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
- March 77B  (Ray Hanger): Entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.
- Chevron B28 [B24 73-07] (Jim Lowe): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- Lola T430 [HU1] (Alfredo Costanzo): VDS for Teddy Pilette US 1976 (6 races; best result 3rd at R3 Mosport Park 20 Jun); used as spare car to Brown's HU2 in Australian Internationals 1977 - Alan Hamilton (Australia): used as spare car; maybe Jon Davison's car Australian Gold Star 1977 (R1 Surfers Paradise 28 Aug 1977 only). Built up after Hamilton's crash at the 1978 Australian GP and raced by Alfredo Costanzo: Australian Gold Star 1978; Australian Internationals 1979 (won at Sandown Park and Adelaide); Australian Gold Star 1979 (won at Sandown 9 Sep); Australian Gold Star 1980 (won at Sandown 14 Sep and Winton 26 Oct); Australian GP 1980 (4th) - Bob Minogue: Australian Gold Star 1981, Arco Graphic 1981/82. Minogue still holds several lap records in Australia, including the Sandown International circuit record for F5000, set on 2 Mar 1986 and the Historic F5000 record at Winton on 30 May 1993. Subsequently sold to Gavin Bain, then to Graham Cameron, who raced it at Historic Sandown in 2000. To David Abbott (Christchurch, NZ) by 2002, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival regularly from 2003 to 2008, when Abbott moved over to his newly rebuilt HU2. Then raced by Ken Smith in the series from 2008 to 2010.
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Ian Adams): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. In ecember 1974, Kevin Bartlett used the car to win a New Zealand Gold Star race. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
- Matich A50  (Geoff Munyard): Bought by Johnny Walker, and fitted with the engine and transmission from his Elfin MR5. Raced by Walker in the 1972 Australian Gold Star, 1973 Australian Internationals, then to America for four races in the US series. To Jon Davison for the 1974 Australian Gold Star and 1975 Australian Internationals 1975 Australian Gold Star, 1976 Australian Internationals, 1976 Australian Gold Star, and 1977 Australian Internationals. To Bronwyn Taylor 1977 and raced in 1978 and 1979 - Geoff Munyard 1980 - leased to Kevin Leighton 1982 - Graham Stoll - Peter Brennan (Melbourne, Australia) - Ziggy Schueller 1990 - Ken Smith (NZ) 1992 or 1993 - James Boult (NZ) 1996 - Russell Greer (NZ) 1996 - Richard Bendell (Australia) 2001 - Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW, Australia) 2004 - Philip Lewis 2013.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Australian Gold Star results for the period 1971-1976 are now available from a variety Australian magazines and yearbooks. As well as Racing Car News, results have been cross-checked against the 1972 Australian Motoring Yearbook and the 1973 and 1974 Australian Competition Yearbooks. Information is added from Autosport where available. The 1975 season was collated by Glenn Moulds using Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag, Australian Competition Year, "50 Years Of The Australian Grand Prix" and "Australia's Elfin Sports and Racing Cars". For the 1976 season, Glenn was also able to use Motor Sport Reporter from R3 Calder onwards.