Australian Gold Star Race
Sandown Park, 14 Sep 1980
|1||Alfredo Costanzo||Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#84 Porsche Cars Australia (see note 1)
|2||Chas Talbot||Lola T332 [HU36a] - Chevrolet V8
#3 Chas Talbot (see note 2)
|3||Rob Butcher||Lola T332 [T330 HU8] - Chevrolet V8
#10 Hahndorf Motor Museum (see note 3)
|4||Peter "Chris" Middleton||Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8
#5 Chris Middleton
|5||Jon Davison||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8
#4 Lee Seaton (see note 4)
|6||Ian Adams||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#8 Ian Adams (see note 5)
|7||Allan R. Nitschke||Begg FM5  - Chevrolet V8
#13 A R Nitschke (see note 6)
|8||Ray Hanger||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA
#43 Ray Hanger (see note 7)
|R||John Bowe||Elfin MR8B-C  - Chevrolet V8
#11 Ansett Team Elfin
|R||Peter Edwards||Lola T332 [T330 HU23(B)] - Chevrolet V8
#21 Peter J Edwards
|Black flagged - leaking oil|
|R||John Wright||Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#76 John Wright (see note 8)
|DNS||Greg Doidge||Matich A53 [A51-005] - Repco Holden V8
#9 Greg Doidge
|Did not start
(Engine failure in warm up)
|DNS||Barry Ward||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Birrana 273 [273-010] - Ford BDA
#51 Barry Ward
|Did not start
|DNS||Colin Campbell||Lola T400 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Ranger Truck Rentals (see note 9)
|Did not start
(Crashed in practice)
|DNA||Colin Trengove||Lola T332 ['071-084'] - Chevrolet V8
#34 Trengove Racing Cars/Silman Power Tools
(see note 10)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||John Bowe||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8B-C  - Chevrolet V8||01.00.3|
|2||Alfredo Costanzo||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||01.00.4|
|3||John Wright||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||01.00.6|
|4||Jon Davison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8||01.02.1|
|5||Rob Butcher||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [T330 HU8] - Chevrolet V8||01.03.6|
|6||Chas Talbot||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU36a] - Chevrolet V8||01.04.8|
|7||Peter "Chris" Middleton||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8||01.04.9|
|8||Peter Edwards||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [T330 HU23(B)] - Chevrolet V8||01.06.0|
|9||Greg Doidge *||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A53 [A51-005] - Repco Holden V8||01.08.3|
|10||Ian Adams||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||01.09.3|
|11||Allan R. Nitschke||(F5000) 5-litre Begg FM5  - Chevrolet V8||01.10.1|
|12||Ray Hanger||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre March 77B  - Ford BDA||01.11.4|
|13||Barry Ward *||(F/Pac) 1.6-litre Birrana 273 [273-010] - Ford BDA||01.12.6|
|14||Colin Campbell *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||01.19.1|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T430 [HU1] (Alfredo Costanzo): VDS for Teddy Pilette US 1976 (6 races; best result 3rd at R3 Mosport Park 20 Jun); used as spare car to Brown's HU2 in Australian Internationals 1977 - Alan Hamilton (Australia): used as spare car; maybe Jon Davison's car Australian Gold Star 1977 (R1 Surfers Paradise 28 Aug 1977 only). Built up after Hamilton's crash at the 1978 Australian GP and raced by Alfredo Costanzo: Australian Gold Star 1978; Australian Internationals 1979 (won at Sandown Park and Adelaide); Australian Gold Star 1979 (won at Sandown 9 Sep); Australian Gold Star 1980 (won at Sandown 14 Sep and Winton 26 Oct); Australian GP 1980 (4th) - Bob Minogue: Australian Gold Star 1981, Arco Graphic 1981/82. Minogue still holds several lap records in Australia, including the Sandown International circuit record for F5000, set on 2 Mar 1986 and the Historic F5000 record at Winton on 30 May 1993. Subsequently sold to Gavin Bain, then to Graham Cameron, who raced it at Historic Sandown in 2000. To David Abbott (Christchurch, NZ) by 2002, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival regularly from 2003 to 2008, when Abbott moved over to his newly rebuilt HU2. Then raced by Ken Smith in the series from 2008 to 2010.
- Lola T332 [HU36a] (Chas Talbot): See full history: Lola T332 HU36.
- Lola T332 [T330 HU8] (Rob Butcher): To Haas/Hall and developed by Jim Hall with revised bodywork, radiators and rear wing for Brian Redman in the 1973 US series. Then to Rogers Racing for Larry Harley in the 1974 US series. To Ken Smith (New Zealand) for the 1974/75 season, the New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976. To Chris Milton (South Australia) and raced in Australia from Sep 1977 to Sep 1978. To John Blanden 1978, and driven for him by Rob Butcher from 1979 to 1982. To Bib Stillwell 1988 for Australian historic racing. To Noel Robson (Melbourne, Australia) 1993, and raced in Australian historic racing for many years. More information about Lola T330 HU8
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Jon Davison): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Ian Adams): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. In ecember 1974, Kevin Bartlett used the car to win a New Zealand Gold Star race. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
- Begg FM5  (Allan R. Nitschke): Built new in 1973 by Fred McLean for Allan McCully for the 1973/74 New Zealand Gold Star, and regarded by McLean as a FM5, not a Begg FM5. To Graham Baker 1974 and raced in Tasman 1974, the 1974/75 and 1975/76 Gold Star, and the 1976 NZ Internationals. To Charles Talbot (Australia) 1976, and raced by him in the 1977 and 1978 Rothmans Australian Internationals. Presumably the car raced by Allan R. Nitschke in Australia from 1979 to 1982. Then unknown until acquired by Bryan and Graham Sala about 1990. Bought at auction in Australia by Gavin Hicks (Auckland, NZ) about 1991 and sold by him to Lindsay O'Donnell (Christchurch, NZ) 2001. Raced by O'Donnell in the F5000 Tasman Revival from 2003 to the 2012/13 season. Returned two years later for the New Zealand Festival at Hampton Downs in January 2015. More information about Begg FM5/2
- March 77B  (Ray Hanger): Entered by March for Danny Sullivan in the 1978 New Zealand International series. Sold to Colin Giltrap and entered by him for Dave McMillan at Baypark Mar 1978 then for Larry Perkins in the 1978/79 series. Raced by Desiré Wilson in the Jan/Feb 1980 series then John Smith in Jan 1981. Sold to Ray Hanger (Australia) and used in the 1981 AF1 and Pacific series. Also raced at Shah Alam in October 1981.
- Lola T400 [HU15] (John Wright): See full history: Lola T400 HU15.
- Lola T400 [HU1] (Colin Campbell): See full history: Lola T400 HU1.
- Lola T332 ['071-084'] (Colin Trengove): See full history: Lola T330 HU7.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Australian Gold Star results for the period 1971-1976 are now available from a variety Australian magazines and yearbooks. As well as Racing Car News, results have been cross-checked against the 1972 Australian Motoring Yearbook and the 1973 and 1974 Australian Competition Yearbooks. Information is added from Autosport where available. The 1975 season was collated by Glenn Moulds using Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag, Australian Competition Year, "50 Years Of The Australian Grand Prix" and "Australia's Elfin Sports and Racing Cars". For the 1976 season, Glenn was also able to use Motor Sport Reporter from R3 Calder onwards.