Rothmans F5000 Championship round
Castle Combe, 15 May 1971
|1||Frank Gardner||Lola T192 [HU28] - Chevrolet V8
|2||Peter Gethin||McLaren M18 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|3||Howden Ganley||McLaren M18 [500-04] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|4||Ray Allen||McLaren M10B [400-21] - Chevrolet V8
|5||Ulf Norinder||McLaren M18 [500-05] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|6||John Myerscough||McLaren M10B [400-18S] - Chevrolet V8
|7||Trevor Taylor||Leda LT25  - Chevrolet V8
|8||Fred Saunders||Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8
|9||David Prophet||McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet V8
|10||Bob Miller||Dulon LD8  - Chevrolet V8
|11||Rob Taylor||(F5000) 3.5-litre McLaren M10A [300-16] - Rover V8
(see note 4)
|12||Kaye Griffiths||Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|R||Tony Dean||McLaren M7A  - Chevrolet V8
|R||Mike Walker||Lola T192 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
|R||Jock Russell||Lotus 70  - Ford V8
(see note 6)
|6||gave up - conditions|
|R||Robs Lamplough||Lola T102 [F268/1] - Ford Boss 302 Mathwall V8
(see note 7)
|4||spun and stalled|
|R||Peter Hawtin||Cooper T90 [F1C/2.69] - Chevrolet V8
||2||gave up - conditions|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8||0.56.2|
|2||Frank Gardner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU28] - Chevrolet V8||0.56.6|
|3||Howden Ganley||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 [500-04] - Chevrolet V8||0.56.6|
|4||Ray Allen||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-21] - Chevrolet V8||0.58.0|
|5||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||0.58.0|
|6||Tony Dean||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M7A  - Chevrolet V8||0.58.4|
|7||Trevor Taylor||(F5000) 5-litre Leda LT25  - Chevrolet V8||0.59.2|
|8||Ulf Norinder||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 [500-05] - Chevrolet V8||0.59.8|
|9||John Myerscough||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-18S] - Chevrolet V8||1.00.6|
|10||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8||1.00.8|
|11||Robs Lamplough||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T102 [F268/1] - Ford Boss 302 Mathwall V8||1.01.2|
|12||David Prophet||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet V8||1.03.2|
|13||Kaye Griffiths||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8||1.03.6|
|14||Jock Russell||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford V8||1.05.0|
|15||Bob Miller||(F5000) 5-litre Dulon LD8  - Chevrolet V8||1.05.0|
|16||Rob Taylor||(F5000) 3.5-litre McLaren M10A [300-16] - Rover V8||1.05.6|
|17||Peter Hawtin||(F5000) 5-litre Cooper T90 [F1C/2.69] - Chevrolet V8||1.07.8|
Notes on the cars:
- McLaren M18 [500-01] (Peter Gethin): See full history: McLaren M18 500-01.
- McLaren M18 [500-04] (Howden Ganley): See full history: McLaren M18 500-04.
- McLaren M18 [500-05] (Ulf Norinder): Built for 1971 season. Run by Team Trojan in the British F5000 series for Ulf Norinder in four races in May and June 1971. Then to Jackie Epstein's Speed International Racing for 1972 and raced by Ray Allen at most races in the British series, but also by David Prophet at Mallory Park in March and by Gijs van Lennep at Oulton Park in October. Not seen in 1973 and ended up being used by Shell as a show car. To dealer Jon Bradburn (Wolverhampton) by 1984 and sold by him to Gerry Walton, who raced for many years in HSCC racing before crashing it at Oulton Park. Repaired but then damaged when a lorry reversed into it! Subsequently sold to Martin Cowell (Hereford) in 1995 or 1996. The car's last outing with Cowell was at Shelsley Walsh in August 2005, and it was sold by him to Dave Roberts (Worcester) in December 2017.
- McLaren M10A [300-16] (Rob Taylor): See full history: McLaren M10A 300-16.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/7] (Kaye Griffiths): New to Doug Hardwick's Henley Forklift team for the 1970 British Formula 5000 series. Raced by Mo Nunn (2 races), Davey Powell (7 races + 2 DNS) and Trevor Taylor (6 races) in 1970. To Kaye Griffiths (2 races + 1 DNQ), Terry Sanger (1 race only), Ian Ashley (3 races) and Tony Trimmer (1 race only) in 1971, during which time it was acquired by Rocky Plumridge. Retained by Plumridge for 1972 and raced by Ian Ashley (9 F5000 races, and DNQ for the Rothmans 50,000). Subsequent history unknown.
- Lotus 70  (Jock Russell): Jock Russell (Ford V8) UK 1970 (debut Mallory Park May 1970), UK 1971, UK 1972 (first rounds only); retained by Russell for many years - Peter Denty (date unknown): restored and raced in UK by Peter's son, James Denty. Raced by James at the Silverstone Classic in 2005 and at Watkins Glen in 2008. Offered for sale by Peter Denty (Thetford, Norfolk) in 2010. Raced again by James Denty at Watkins Glen in 2012 but on behalf of new owner Nick Grewal (Gilford, NH).
- Lola T102 [F268/1] (Robs Lamplough): New for Hubert Hahne to race in BMW's F2 team in 1968, first appearing in the German Grand Prix in August, where it used a 2-litre version of the BMW Apfelbeck radial valve engine. Then raced by Hahne in F2 at two races in October 1968, and retained as his F2 in early 1969. Sold in 1970 to Robs Lamplough, who had it fitted with a Mathwall-built Ford Boss 302 engine for Formula 5000, renaming it the 'Lampola'. Retained by Lamplough for many years, until sold in 2018 to Ben Mitchell, who is restoring it to its 1968 Formula 2 specification.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.