L&M F5000 Championship Race
Sebring International Raceway, 25 Oct 1970
|1||Mark Donohue||Lola T192 [HU19] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|2||David Hobbs||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
|3||Eppie Wietzes||McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8
|4||David Oxton||Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Falconer & Dunn V8
|5||Michael Brockman||Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8
|6||Dick Smothers||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|7||Gregg Young||McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8
|8||Spence Stoddard||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
|9||Rex Ramsey||Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8
|10||Bob Stanford||McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8
|11||Gerard Raney||Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8
|12||John Martin||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
|13||Horst Kroll||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
|14||Bill Brack||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|15||John Cannon||McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8
|16||George Follmer||Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Falconer & Dunn V8
|17||Crockey Peterson||Coyote [Lotus 38/4?] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|18||Randy Blessing||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|19||Rich Galloway||Lola T190 [190/F1/1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|20||Jef Stevens||Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet Frank Schmidt V8
|21||George Wintersteen||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|22||Francis T. Grant||Crosslé 15F [C15F/68/39] - Chevrolet V8
|23||Ludwig Heimrath||McLaren M10A [300-02] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|24||John Hood||Lola T140 - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||John Gunn||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
||Did not start
|DNS||Gus Hutchison||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|Did not start
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Mark Donohue||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU19] - Chevrolet V8||1.03.07|
|2||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||1.04.04|
|3||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8||1.04.12|
|4||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8||1.04.36|
|5||George Follmer||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Falconer & Dunn V8||1.04.89|
|6||Gus Hutchison *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8|
|7||Bill Brack||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.06.38|
|8||John Gunn *||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8|
|9||Spence Stoddard||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||1.06.76|
|10||David Oxton||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Falconer & Dunn V8||1.06.89|
|11||George Wintersteen||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.06.95|
|12||Dick Smothers||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.06.99|
|13||Gregg Young||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8||1.07.58|
|14||Rich Galloway||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/1] - Chevrolet V8||1.07.90|
|15||Ludwig Heimrath||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A [300-02] - Chevrolet V8||1.08.81|
|16||Crockey Peterson||(F5000) 5-litre Coyote [Lotus 38/4?] - Chevrolet V8||1.09.94|
|17||Francis T. Grant||(F5000) 5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/68/39] - Chevrolet V8||1.10.46|
|18||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||1.10.49|
|19||John Martin||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8||1.10.57|
|20||Michael Brockman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8||1.11.07|
|21||Gerard Raney||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8||1.11.99|
|22||John Hood||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T140 - Chevrolet V8||1.13.00|
|23||Bob Stanford||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8||1.13.20|
|24||Jef Stevens||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet Frank Schmidt V8||1.13.93|
|25||Randy Blessing||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||1.17.00|
|26||Rex Ramsey||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8||1.20.91|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T192 [HU19] (Mark Donohue): New to Roger Penske for Mark Donohue to drive in the 1970 US series, starting at Mosport 13 Sep 1970. To Competition Research & Development (Pomona, CA) for Brett Lunger US 1971, then to Larry McNeil US 1972, US 1973 and then in SCCA Nationals from 1974 to 1978. Via Alan Marvin to Gordon Close (Hinsdale, IL) 1979, and used it for 1979 SCCA drivers school and Regionals. To former racer Don O'Sullivan (Perth, Western Australia) in 1983 but not run by him and sold to Bob Harborow (Camberwell, Victoria, Australia) in 1989. Restored and used in historic racing in Australia, including VHRR Historic Sandown and Phillip Island Classic 1999-2013, and the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. Reappeared in October 2015, when run by Kieran Patel (Victoria, Australia) at the Baskerville Historics. More information about Lola T192 HU19
- Coyote [Lotus 38/4?] (Crockey Peterson): Built 1965 (fifth chassis built) from spares with symmetrical suspension and using some parts from the original 38/2. Used by Jim Clark at St Ursanne and Ollon-Villars 1965. For Jim Clark at the 1966 Indy 500 (#19 qualified 2nd, finished second). Sold to AJ Foyt and wrecked in practice at Milwaukee a week later when the suspension on the straight and the car hit the wall and burst into flames. Returned to Lotus in England and rebuilt; returned to Foyt August 1966 but no further results known in 1966. Likely to have been the #84 Lotus 38 used by Foyt in the opening races of 1967 at Phoenix and Trenton. Then used by Gary Congdon at the Indy 500 when he was bumped. With the other Foyt 38s wrecked, this last survivor was the car Foyt raced at Langhorne in July. Several years later, a ‘Coyote’ was raced in F5000 by Crockey Peterson, but photographs show that it was a Lotus 38, and it has been identified as 38/4. Later sold to Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) and then to collector James L. Jaeger (Cincinnati, OH). Run at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 1997, 1998 and 2000. On display in the Speedway Museum March 2009. Ran again at Goodwood 2011.
- Lola T142 (Randy Blessing): Randy Blessing (Lakeland, FL) raced a T142 in the SCCA Regional at Daytona in August 1970 and at the 'Pro' race at Sebring 25 Oct 1970. He raced more consistently in the Pro series 1971 entered as #31, appearing in five races but retiring at every one. The Lola's colour was listed at Brainerd as blue. Blessing's recollection is that his T142 was John Gunn's, but that clashes with a newspaper article from November 1969 where Dave Heinz stated that he had bought that car from Gunn. Blessing later advertised both his T142 and the ex-Hood T140 in Aug 1972 but before the T142 could be sold, Blessing wrecked the T142 in a race at Roebling Road. Although the mangled frame was sold off, Blessing reports that "there really was nothing left of it".
- Lola T190 [190/F1/1] (Rich Galloway): New to Jerry Hansen and raced at Sebring in December 1969. Also driven by Chuck Parsons (his #44 Aqua Velva T190 at US R1 1970), then by Hansen at the Laguna Seca Pro race on 14 June 1970. Advertised 25 Jul 1970. Apparantly sold to Rich Galloway and raced in the US series, starting from R9 Brainerd 16 Aug 1970. Probably the car used by Galloway Tasman 1971 (crashed by Bobby Brown in practice for R1 but rebuilt for Brown in remaining New Zealand races and then for Galloway in Australia; then crashed at last race. To Charlie Hayes and raced by Bobby Unser at the Questor GP 1971; presumably then the car advertised by Hayes in August 1971. Advertised "Bobby Unser's Questor GP T-190-92" from Los Altos, CA (in the San Francisco Bay Area) April 1972 which would appear to rule it out from being the either the Cal Rayburn or Dick Losk cars. Subsequent history unknown.
- McLaren M10A [300-02] (Ludwig Heimrath): See full history: McLaren M10A 300-02.
- Lola T190 (Gus Hutchison): New to Champlin Racing in July 1970 for Gus Hutchison to drive, replacing the F1 Brabham BT26 with which he had won two rounds of the US F5000 championship. Crashed in practice at Mosport, where Hutchison drove Crockey Peterson's T190 in the race. Hutchison was a non-starter again at Sebring in October, after which he and Doug Champlin parted company. The T190 was advertised by Champ Carr (San Juan Capistrano, CA), Champlin's new venture with Fred Carrillo, in Autoweek 13 Feb 1971. Bafflingly advertised ("ex-Hutchison") by Michael Brockman (Orlando, FL), the owner of T190/F1/18, in September 1972. Subsequent history unknown.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.