SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round
Pocono (road course), 9 May 1976
|1||Brian Redman||Lola T332C [HU56] - Chevrolet V8
#1 Boraxo Chaparral
|2||Danny Ongais||Lola T332C [HU60] - Chevrolet V8
|3||Vern Schuppan||Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8
#48 Jorgensen Eagle
|4||Randy Lewis||Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8
#28 Wrangler (see note 1)
|5||Sam Posey||Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
|6||Skeeter McKitterick||Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8
#30 (see note 2)
|7||Alan Jones||Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8
#64 (see note 3)
|8||Horst Kroll||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
|9||John Benton||Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
#22 Formula Magazine (see note 4)
|10||Bruce Allison||Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8
#65 (see note 5)
|11||Geoff Davie||March "741" [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8
#93 (see note 6)
|12||Teddy Pilette||Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#4 (see note 7)
|13||Evan Noyes||Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8
#24 (see note 8)
|14||Jackie Oliver||Shadow DN6 [3A] - Dodge V8
|15||John Cannon||Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8
#47 (see note 9)
|16||Warwick Brown||Lola T332C [HU55] - Chevrolet V8
|17||Bob Nagel||Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8
#75 Thermo King (see note 10)
|18||Peter Gethin||Chevron B37 [37-76-01] - Chevrolet V8
#3 (see note 11)
|DNS||Gerre Payvis||Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8
#47 (see note 12)
|Did not start|
| ||Graham McRae||Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
#6 (see note 13)
|On entry list|
| ||Dick Messier||Chevron B24/B28 - Chevrolet V8
#36 R.T. Automotive Machine Spl
|On entry list|
| ||"Tuck" Thomas||Lola T332 [HU38 (B)] - Chevrolet V8
#88 Lancer Stores
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Brian Redman||9||12:17.85||122.951 mph|
|Evan Noyes||Did not start|
|Bruce Allison||Did not start|
|1||Brian Redman||9||13:07.91||115.139 mph|
|Sam Posey||Did not start|
|Alan Jones||Did not start|
|Bruce Allison||Did not start|
|Jackie Oliver||Did not start|
|1||Danny Ongais||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU60] - Chevrolet V8||1:19.795|
|2||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU56] - Chevrolet V8||1:20.077|
|3||Alan Jones||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8||1:20.231|
|4||Jackie Oliver||(F5000) 5-litre Shadow DN6 [3A] - Dodge V8||1:20.581|
|5||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||1:20.734|
|6||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8||1:20.989|
|7||Sam Posey||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8||1:21.259|
|8||Evan Noyes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8||1:21.299|
|9||Warwick Brown||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU55] - Chevrolet V8||1:21.357|
|10||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B37 [37-76-01] - Chevrolet V8||1:21.733|
|11||Randy Lewis||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8||1:22.347|
|12||Skeeter McKitterick||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8||1:22.846|
|13||Bruce Allison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8||1:22.940|
|14||Bob Nagel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8||1:24.539|
|15||John Benton||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||1:26.051|
|16||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||1:28.470|
|17||Geoff Davie||(F5000) 5-litre March "741" [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8||1:31.242|
|18||Gerre Payvis *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8||1:34.362|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU39] (Randy Lewis): See full history: Lola T332 HU39.
- Lola T332 [HU29] (Skeeter McKitterick): See full history: Lola T332 HU29.
- Lola T332 [HU37] (Alan Jones): See full history: Lola T332 HU37.
- Lola T330 [HU26] (John Benton): See full history: Lola T330 HU26.
- Lola T330 [HU2] (Bruce Allison): See full history: Lola T330 HU2.
- March "741" [73A/3(B)] (Geoff Davie): See full history: March 73A/3.
- Lola T430 [HU1] (Teddy Pilette): VDS for Teddy Pilette US 1976 (6 races; best result 3rd at R3 Mosport Park 20 Jun); used as spare car to Brown's HU2 in Australian Internationals 1977 - Alan Hamilton (Australia): used as spare car; maybe Jon Davison's car Australian Gold Star 1977 (R1 Surfers Paradise 28 Aug 1977 only). Built up after Hamilton's crash at the 1978 Australian GP and raced by Alfredo Costanzo: Australian Gold Star 1978; Australian Internationals 1979 (won at Sandown Park and Adelaide); Australian Gold Star 1979 (won at Sandown 9 Sep); Australian Gold Star 1980 (won at Sandown 14 Sep and Winton 26 Oct); Australian GP 1980 (4th) - Bob Minogue: Australian Gold Star 1981, Arco Graphic 1981/82. Minogue still holds several lap records in Australia, including the Sandown International circuit record for F5000, set on 2 Mar 1986 and the Historic F5000 record at Winton on 30 May 1993. Subsequently sold to Gavin Bain, then to Graham Cameron, who raced it at Historic Sandown in 2000. To David Abbott (Christchurch, NZ) by 2002, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival regularly from 2003 to 2008, when Abbott moved over to his newly rebuilt HU2. Then raced by Ken Smith in the series from 2008 to 2010.
- Lola T332 [HU51] (Evan Noyes): See full history: Lola T332 HU51.
- Lola T330 [HU19] (John Cannon): See full history: Lola T330 HU19.
- Lola T332 [HU33] (Bob Nagel): See full history: Lola T332 HU33.
- Chevron B37 [37-76-01] (Peter Gethin): To VDS Racing and entered for Peter Gethin in the 1976 US F5000 series (also raced once by Teddy Pilette) and in the Rothmans series in Australia in early 1977. To Bruce Allison (Brisbane, Australia) and raced by him in the 1977 UK Group 8 Championship and in the Rothmans series again in Australia in early 1978. Then to Ivan Tighe (Brisbane) and raced in national Australian F5000 and in the International series in 1979. Raced by Tighe up to the end of F5000 in Australia in 1982 and retained by him until 2001. Then sold via Race Car Warehouse (Brighton, England) in early 2002 to Simon Hadfield (Shepshed, Leicestershire) and completely restored. Raced with great success by Hadfield in historic racing both in the UK and in Australia from 2004 to 2008. It has since been raced by guest drivers, including Tony Trimmer at Oulton Park in 2009, Marcus Pye at Oulton Park in 2010 and Ben Anderson at the 2012 Silverstone Classic. Sold in October 2014 to Neil Glover (Ansty, West Sussex).
- Lola T330 [HU19] (Gerre Payvis): See full history: Lola T330 HU19.
- Lola T332 [HU46] (Graham McRae): See full history: Lola T332 HU46.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.