Rose City "10,000"
Winton, 30 Oct 1977
|1||John McCormack||(F5000) 4.9-litre McLaren M23  - Leyland P76 Repco V8
|2||Jon Davison||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|3||Kevin Bartlett||Lola T400 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|4||Alfredo Costanzo||Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|5||Terry Hook||Lola T332 ['071-084'] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|6||John Leffler||Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|UNK||Chas Talbot||Begg FM5  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|UNK||John Edmonds||Elfin MR5-B  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 7)
|UNK||Garrie Cooper||Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8
|UNK||Allan Newton||McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 8)
|UNK||Chris Milton||Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 9)
|UNK||Peter Edwards||Lola T332 [T330 HU23(B)] - Chevrolet V8
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||John McCormack||(F5000) 4.9-litre McLaren M23  - Leyland P76 Repco V8||55.5s|
|2||Alfredo Costanzo||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet V8||55.6s|
|3||Jon Davison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8|
|4||Kevin Bartlett||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8|
|5||John Leffler||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8|
|6||Garrie Cooper||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8|
|7||Terry Hook||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 ['071-084'] - Chevrolet V8|
|8||Chris Milton||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8|
|9||John Edmonds||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR5-B  - Repco Holden V8|
|10||Chas Talbot||(F5000) 5-litre Begg FM5  - Chevrolet V8|
|11||Peter Edwards||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [T330 HU23(B)] - Chevrolet V8|
|12||Allan Newton||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Jon Davison): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
- Lola T400 [HU1] (Kevin Bartlett): See full history: Lola T400 HU1.
- Lola T332 [HU36] (Alfredo Costanzo): See full history: Lola T332 HU36.
- Lola T332 ['071-084'] (Terry Hook): See full history: Lola T330 HU7.
- Lola T400 [HU15] (John Leffler): See full history: Lola T400 HU15.
- Begg FM5  (Chas Talbot): Built new in 1973 by Fred McLean for Allan McCully for the 1973/74 New Zealand Gold Star, and regarded by McLean as a FM5, not a Begg FM5. To Graham Baker 1974 and raced in Tasman 1974, the 1974/75 and 1975/76 Gold Star, and the 1976 NZ Internationals. To Charles Talbot (Australia) 1976, and raced by him in the 1977 and 1978 Rothmans Australian Internationals. Presumably the car raced by Allan R. Nitschke in Australia from 1979 to 1982. Then unknown until acquired by Bryan and Graham Sala about 1990. Bought at auction in Australia by Gavin Hicks (Auckland, NZ) about 1991 and sold by him to Lindsay O'Donnell (Christchurch, NZ) 2001. Raced by O'Donnell in the F5000 Tasman Revival from 2003 to the 2012/13 season. Returned two years later for the New Zealand Festival at Hampton Downs in January 2015. More information about Begg FM5/2
- Elfin MR5-B  (John Edmonds): Works Elfin Sports Cars entry for Garrie Cooper in the 1972 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1973 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1974 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, and the 1975 Tasman and Australian Gold Star. Rebuilt in August 1975 as the MR5-B. Sold to John Edmonds for the last race of the Australian Gold Star, then the 1976 New Zealand and Australian Internationals, the 1976 national season, and the 1977 Australian Internationals. Then to Phil Ward 1977, and then with Mike Pope from 1980 to 1986. History then unknown until bought from Geoff Munday by Gavin Sala. Sold by Sala to Ken Smith in Nnew Zealand, and reportedly with Barrie Flett in 1994. The car is said to have spent time in a museum in NZ, before being bought by Smith again, and sold back to Geoff Munday some time before 2014.
- McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] (Allan Newton): See full history: McLaren M18 500-01.
- Lola T330 [HU8] (Chris Milton): To Haas/Hall and developed by Jim Hall with revised bodywork, radiators and rear wing for Brian Redman in the 1973 US series. Then to Rogers Racing for Larry Harley in the 1974 US series. To Ken Smith (New Zealand) for the 1974/75 season, the New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976. To Chris Milton (South Australia) and raced in Australia from Sep 1977 to Sep 1978. To John Blanden 1978, and driven for him by Rob Butcher from 1979 to 1982. To Bib Stillwell 1988 for Australian historic racing. To Noel Robson (Melbourne, Australia) 1993, and raced in Australian historic racing for many years. More information about Lola T330 HU8
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Australian Gold Star results for the period 1971-1976 are now available from a variety Australian magazines and yearbooks. As well as Racing Car News, results have been cross-checked against the 1972 Australian Motoring Yearbook and the 1973 and 1974 Australian Competition Yearbooks. Information is added from Autosport where available. The 1975 season was collated by Glenn Moulds using Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag, Australian Competition Year, "50 Years Of The Australian Grand Prix" and "Australia's Elfin Sports and Racing Cars". For the 1976 season, Glenn was also able to use Motor Sport Reporter from R3 Calder onwards.