Rose City "10,000"
Winton, 28 Oct 1978
|1||James Hunt||Elfin MR8B-C [8783-2] - Chevrolet V8
|2||Alfredo Costanzo||Lola T400B [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|3||Kevin Bartlett||Brabham BT43  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|4||John McCormack||(F5000) 4.9-litre McLaren M23  - Leyland P76 Repco V8
|5||Chas Talbot||Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|6||Jon Davison||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|7||Ian Adams||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|8||Colin Trengove||Lola T332 ['071-084'] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|NC||Barry Singleton||Chevron B28 [B24 73-07] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 7)
|R||John Briggs||Matich A50/A51  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 8)
|R||Terry Hook||Lola T332 [HU28] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 9)
|DNS||Bronwyn Taylor||Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 10)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Graham McRae||McRae GM3  - Chevrolet V8
||Did not start
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||James Hunt||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8B-C [8783-2] - Chevrolet V8||54.9s|
|2||John McCormack||(F5000) 4.9-litre McLaren M23  - Leyland P76 Repco V8||55.7s|
|3||Alfredo Costanzo||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400B [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||56.6s|
|4||Jon Davison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8|
|5||Kevin Bartlett||(F5000) 5-litre Brabham BT43  - Chevrolet V8|
|6||Graham McRae *||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM3  - Chevrolet V8|
|7||Terry Hook||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU28] - Chevrolet V8|
|8||Chas Talbot||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet V8|
|9||John Briggs||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50/A51  - Chevrolet V8|
|10||Colin Trengove||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 ['071-084'] - Chevrolet V8|
|11||Barry Singleton||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [B24 73-07] - Chevrolet V8|
|12||Ian Adams||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||did not practice|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T400B [HU1] (Alfredo Costanzo): See full history: Lola T400 HU1.
- Brabham BT43  (Kevin Bartlett): Brabham BT43/1 race history.
- Lola T332 [HU36] (Chas Talbot): See full history: Lola T332 HU36.
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Jon Davison): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Ian Adams): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. In ecember 1974, Kevin Bartlett used the car to win a New Zealand Gold Star race. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
- Lola T332 ['071-084'] (Colin Trengove): See full history: Lola T330 HU7.
- Chevron B28 [B24 73-07] (Barry Singleton): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- Matich A50/A51  (John Briggs): New for Frank Matich to win the 1971 Australian GP, then raced in the New Zealand Tasman rounds before being renumbered '002' for the Australian Internationals. Matich won the 1972 Australian Gold Star in this car, and raced it in the 1973 Tasman series. Then to Barry Lewis in 1975 - Peter Roach 1976 - Dave Powell 1976 - John Briggs 1978 and damaged at a hillclimb. Via K & A Engineering to Gavin Sala 1984 or 1985, then to his son Bryan Sala. More information about Matich A50-001/002
- Lola T332 [HU28] (Terry Hook): Graeme Lawrence (NZ) for Tasman 1974, New Zealand Gold Star 1974; Tasman 1975; Tasman 1976; Gold Star Oct/Nov 1976; Australian Internationals 1977 - Terry Hook (Aus) Australian Internationals 1978, Australian Internationals 1979; heavily crashed at a club event at Lakeside 21 Jun 1981. Rebuilt by March 1982 by Chas Talbot on a new tub. Sold to Bob Minogue and Pete Brennan in the mid-1980s who sold the rear end to Peter Bick to complete his ex-Davison HU34. The ex-Hook car was then built up with other parts and sold to Manuel Jimenez who in turn passed it to Murray Richards (Murrumbeena, Australia). To David Sharp (New Zealand) 1993. To Murray Sinclair (Hong Kong, and Christchurch, New Zealand) 2001, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival from 2003 to 2007. To Russell Greer (Blenheim, New Zealand) 2007, who continued to race it in the Revival series. More information about Lola T332 HU28
- Matich A50  (Bronwyn Taylor): Bought by Johnny Walker, and fitted with the engine and transmission from his Elfin MR5. Raced by Walker in the 1972 Australian Gold Star, 1973 Australian Internationals, then to America for four races in the US series. To Jon Davison for the 1974 Australian Gold Star and 1975 Australian Internationals 1975 Australian Gold Star, 1976 Australian Internationals, 1976 Australian Gold Star, and 1977 Australian Internationals. To Bronwyn Taylor 1977 and raced in 1978 and 1979 - Geoff Munyard 1980 - leased to Kevin Leighton 1982 - Graham Stoll - Peter Brennan (Melbourne, Australia) - Ziggy Schueller 1990 - Ken Smith (NZ) 1992 or 1993 - James Boult (NZ) 1996 - Russell Greer (NZ) 1996 - Richard Bendell (Australia) 2001 - Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW, Australia) 2004 - Philip Lewis 2013.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Australian Gold Star results for the period 1971-1976 are now available from a variety Australian magazines and yearbooks. As well as Racing Car News, results have been cross-checked against the 1972 Australian Motoring Yearbook and the 1973 and 1974 Australian Competition Yearbooks. Information is added from Autosport where available. The 1975 season was collated by Glenn Moulds using Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag, Australian Competition Year, "50 Years Of The Australian Grand Prix" and "Australia's Elfin Sports and Racing Cars". For the 1976 season, Glenn was also able to use Motor Sport Reporter from R3 Calder onwards.