Warwick Farm "100"
Warwick Farm, 11 Feb 1973
|1||Steve Thompson||Chevron B24 [24-72-01] - Chevrolet RES V8
(see note 1)
|45||1h 14m 35.0s
|2||Frank Matich||Matich A50 [001 as '002'] - Repco Holden V8
(see note 2)
|45||1h 16m 03.7s
|3||Graham McRae||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|45||1h 16m 17.2s
|4||Johnnie Walker||Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 4)
|45||1h 16m 21.3s
|5||Max Stewart||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|6||John McCormack||Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 6)
|7||Sam Posey||Surtees TS11  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
[Champ Carr Ent.]
|8||Kevin Bartlett||Lola T300 [HU16] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 7)
|9||Graeme Lawrence||(Tasman 2.0) 1.9-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Hart
(see note 8)
|10||Tony Stewart||(ANF1) 2-litre Dolphin ['1'] - Waggott TC4V
|11||Dexter Dunlop||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
|12||Erol Richardson||Wortmeyer SCV - Chevrolet V8
|R||Alan Rollinson||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 9)
|UNK||Garrie Cooper||Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 10)
|DNSC||Gary Campbell||Lola T330 [HU4] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 11)
|Did not start (crashed)|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Steve Thompson||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-72-01] - Chevrolet RES V8||1m 40.0s|
|2||Graham McRae||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||1m 41.4s|
|3||Max Stewart||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||1m 43.0s|
|4||Johnnie Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8||1m 43.6s|
|5||Frank Matich||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50 [001 as '002'] - Repco Holden V8||1m 43.7s|
|6||Sam Posey||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS11  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1m 44.6s|
|7||Tony Stewart||(ANF1) 2-litre Dolphin ['1'] - Waggott TC4V||1m 44.9s|
|8||Alan Rollinson||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||1m 47.6s|
|9||Kevin Bartlett||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU16] - Chevrolet V8||1m 47.9s|
|10||Graeme Lawrence||(Tasman 2.0) 1.9-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Hart||1m 52.5s|
|11||John McCormack||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8||1m 55.8s|
|12||Erol Richardson||(F5000) 5-litre Wortmeyer SCV - Chevrolet V8||1m 57.9s|
|13||Dexter Dunlop||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||2m 05.9s|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B24 [24-72-01] (Steve Thompson): Built for 1972 season. Works for Brian Redman: raced in UK 1972 (debut at Oulton Park 29 May 1972 - 5 races 3 wins) and US 1972 (Redman 4 races 1 win, Gethin 1 race) - Keith Holland for John Player Challenge Trophy at Brands Hatch 22 Oct - Alan Brodie for Steve Thompson: raced in Tasman 1973 and UK 1973. Badly damaged in a severe testing accident at Silverstone on 24 May when a tyre burst at Woodcote at 140 mph, and Thompson was lucky to escape with bruising. The car was written off, and Brodie acquired a brand new 1973 B24.
- Matich A50 [001 as '002'] (Frank Matich): New for Frank Matich to win the 1971 Australian GP, then raced in the New Zealand Tasman rounds before being renumbered '002' for the Australian Internationals. Matich won the 1972 Australian Gold Star in this car, and raced it in the 1973 Tasman series. Then to Barry Lewis in 1975 - Peter Roach 1976 - Dave Powell 1976 - John Briggs 1978 and damaged at a hillclimb. Via K & A Engineering to Gavin Sala 1984 or 1985, then to his son Bryan Sala. More information about Matich A50-001/002
- McRae GM1  (Graham McRae): See full history: McRae GM1/005.
- Matich A50  (Johnnie Walker): Bought by Johnny Walker, and fitted with the engine and transmission from his Elfin MR5. Raced by Walker in the 1972 Australian Gold Star, 1973 Australian Internationals, then to America for four races in the US series. To Jon Davison for the 1974 Australian Gold Star and 1975 Australian Internationals 1975 Australian Gold Star, 1976 Australian Internationals, 1976 Australian Gold Star, and 1977 Australian Internationals. To Bronwyn Taylor 1977 and raced in 1978 and 1979 - Geoff Munyard 1980 - leased to Kevin Leighton 1982 - Graham Stoll - Peter Brennan (Melbourne, Australia) - Ziggy Schueller 1990 - Ken Smith (NZ) 1992 or 1993 - James Boult (NZ) 1996 - Russell Greer (NZ) 1996 - Richard Bendell (Australia) 2001 - Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW, Australia) 2004 - Philip Lewis 2013.
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Max Stewart): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. In ecember 1974, Kevin Bartlett used the car to win a New Zealand Gold Star race. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
- Elfin MR5  (John McCormack): New to John McCormack in September 1971, and raced in Australian Gold Star, taking two second places and a win from three races. Raced by McCormack in the 1972 Tasman series, and the 1972 Australian Gold Star, where he won one race. Then raced in the 1973 Tasman series, where he won the NZ GP and the Adelaide '100', and in the 1973 Australian Gold Star, when he won two races and the championship. Raced again in the 1974 Tasman, again winning the NZ GP. Raced by Phil Moore in the 1974 Gold Star. Sold to Glen Nichols December 1975, and entered for the Rothmans Internationals, but did not start a race. History then unknown until bought from Les Swallow by Gavin Sala, and sold to John McCormack for restoration some time before 1992.
- Lola T300 [HU16] (Kevin Bartlett): New to Kevin Bartlett and raced in 1972 Australian Gold Star and 1973 Tasman. Sold to Reg Cook (NZ) 1973, but later burnt out in a trailer fire. Some remains later from Reg Cook to David Manton (NZ) and used in reconstruction of T300 HU3. More information about Lola T300 HU16
- Surtees TS15  (Graeme Lawrence): New to Graeme Lawrence and raced in the 2-litre class of the 1973 Tasman Cup, using a 1.9-litre Hart BDA. Then raced in Southeast Asian events, using a Hart Ford twin cam engine. Retained for Southeast Asian 1600cc events in 1974, but Lawrence used his new F5000 Lola T332 in the Tasman series. Retained again for Southeast Asian 1600cc events in 1975. He still had the car in early 1976 when he was musing whether to convert it to Formula Pacific. Later in 1976 the car was sold to Rex Hart and fitted with a Cosworth BDA for Formula Pacific, and raced in New Zealand from 1977 to 1981. Sold to Ken Smith in 1982, and sold by him to John Wigston (Auckland) in 1984.
- McRae GM1  (Alan Rollinson): See full history: McRae GM1/007.
- Elfin MR5  (Garrie Cooper): Works Elfin Sports Cars entry for Garrie Cooper in the 1972 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1973 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1974 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, and the 1975 Tasman and Australian Gold Star. Rebuilt in August 1975 as the MR5-B. Sold to John Edmonds for the last race of the Australian Gold Star, then the 1976 New Zealand and Australian Internationals, the 1976 national season, and the 1977 Australian Internationals. Then to Phil Ward 1977, and then with Mike Pope from 1980 to 1986. History then unknown until bought from Geoff Munday by Gavin Sala. Sold by Sala to Ken Smith in Nnew Zealand, and reportedly with Barrie Flett in 1994. The car is said to have spent time in a museum in NZ, before being bought by Smith again, and sold back to Geoff Munday some time before 2014.
- Lola T330 [HU4] (Gary Campbell): See full history: Lola T330 HU4.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Sources include Autosport, Motoring News, the F1 Register books and Graham Vercoe's books "Historic Racing Cars of New Zealand" and "The Golden Era of New Zealand Motor Racing".
The start point for the 1970 Tasman results was Bruce Sergent's site which contains full reports on all these races. The 1970 results were then augmented by practice times and other information on R1 Levin and R2 Pukekohe (both in Autosport 15 Jan 1970); R3 Wigram (Autosport 29 Jan 1970); R4 Teretonga (Auto News Vol 3 No 14 9 Feb 1970 and Autosport 29 Jan 1970); R5 Surfers Paradise (Auto News Vol 3 No 15 23 Feb 1970 and Autosport 19 Feb 1970); R6 Warwick Farm (Auto News Vol 3 No 16 9 Mar 1970 and Autosport 26 Feb 1970); and R7 Sandown Park (Auto News Vol 3 No 16 9 Mar 1970 and Autosport 26 Feb 1970). Additional qualifying times have been provided by Milan Fistonic.
Individual sources for this event
Qualifying times provided by Wolfgang Klopfer from Motoring News.