Rothmans F5000 Championship round
Oulton Park, 18 Sep 1971
|1||Frank Gardner||Lola T300 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#3 Lola Cars Ltd (see note 1)
|2||Mike Hailwood||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
#15 Team Surtees Ltd. (see note 2)
|3||Alan Rollinson||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
#26 Alan McKechnie Racing (see note 3)
|4||Mike Walker||Lola T192 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
#77 Doug Hardwick
|5||Ray Allen||McLaren M10B [400-21] - Chevrolet V8
#8 (Pink Stamps) Team Trojan
|6||Teddy Pilette||McLaren M10B [400-20] - Chevrolet V8
#33 Racing Team V.D.S.
|7||Tony Trimmer||Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8
#10 R. Plumridge (see note 4)
|8||Fred Saunders||Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8
#66 Mermaid Racing
|9||Terry Sanger||Harrier [001-2] - Chevrolet V8
#27 Research Consultants
|10||Dave Berry||(F5000) 4.5-litre Brabham BT16/21B [F2-19-65] - Rover V8
#28 David Berry (see note 5)
|11||David Prophet||McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet V8
|12||Derek Bell||McLaren M18 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8
#1 Sid Taylor Team Castrol (see note 6)
|13||Trevor Taylor||Leda LT25  - Chevrolet V8
#11 Malaya Garage Racing Division
|14||Peter Hawtin||Cooper T90 [F1C/2.69] - Chevrolet V8
#17 Peter J. Hawtin
|15||Hervé Bayard||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
#34 Herve Bayard
|DNS||Cyd Williams||McLaren M10B [400-18S] - Chevrolet V8
#4 John Butterworth
|Did not start
| ||Jock Russell||Lotus 70  - Ford V8
#5 Jock Russell (see note 7)
|On entry list|
| ||Gordon Spice||McLaren M10B [400-05] - Chevrolet V8
#44 Cash & Carry (see note 8)
|On entry list|
| ||Willie Wood||Lola T142 [SL142/31] - Chevrolet V8
#78 Willie Wood (see note 9)
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Frank Gardner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||1.26.6|
|2||Derek Bell||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8||1.27.4|
|3||Alan Rollinson||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||1.28.6|
|4||Mike Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||1.28.6|
|5||Trevor Taylor||(F5000) 5-litre Leda LT25  - Chevrolet V8||1.29.0|
|6||Mike Hailwood||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||1.29.2|
|7||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-20] - Chevrolet V8||1.29.8|
|8||Ray Allen||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-21] - Chevrolet V8||1.30.2|
|9||Cyd Williams *||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-18S] - Chevrolet V8||1.33.6|
|10||Dave Berry||(F5000) 4.5-litre Brabham BT16/21B [F2-19-65] - Rover V8||1.33.8|
|11||Fred Saunders||(F5000) 5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/69/42] - Rover V8||1.35.8|
|12||David Prophet||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-04] - Chevrolet V8||1.37.2|
|13||Tony Trimmer||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/7] - Chevrolet V8||1.37.4|
|14||Hervé Bayard||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||1.38.2|
|15||Terry Sanger||(F5000) 5-litre Harrier [001-2] - Chevrolet V8||1.38.4|
|16||Peter Hawtin||(F5000) 5-litre Cooper T90 [F1C/2.69] - Chevrolet V8||1.47.4|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T300 [HU1] (Frank Gardner): New for Frank Gardner late UK 1971 season, then to Australia but crashed in practice for the Australian GP and the 1972 Tasman series. Sold to Gary Campbell for the end of the Tasman series, then the 1972 Australian Gold Star series. Traded to Carl Haas for a new Lola T330, and sold on to Mike Brockman in Florida for the 1973 US championship. Not seen in 1974. Subsequent history unknown. More information about Lola T300 HU1
- Surtees TS8  (Mike Hailwood): Built for 1971 season. Team Surtees (UK) 1971: raced by Mike Hailwood (won on debut; F1 Register also identify this as Hailwood's 1972 Tasman car - Herve Bayard (Belgium) 1972 with works spare car: raced in early UK F5000 races only; used in European Hill Climb Championship and converted one car to Cosworth DFV engine after opening round (finished second overall in championship). Bayard practiced 05 with a DFV at the Rothmans 50,000 on 28 August 1972 but was far too slow to qualify. Subsequent history unknown but possibly the Robin Darlington car in 1973. May have been owned by Alex Seldon at some point. Next seen when acquired by John Foulston in 1989. After Foulston's death, the TS8 passed to Noel Butler 1998. Appeared at Silverstone July 1998. Bought at auction by Robin Darlington 1999. To Mike Wrigley (Ashbourne, Derbyshire) 2002 and then sold to Dr John Monson (Hull) in 2004. Raced by Monson in the HSCC's Derek Bell Trophy (DBT) events in 2005 and 2006. To Stephen Gibson Mar 2007 and raced in DBT in 2008, 2009 and 2010. The car returned to the DBT in 2014 when owned by Chris Atkinson.
- Surtees TS8  (Alan Rollinson): New for Peter Revson at the 1971 Questor GP then for Alan Roillinson in UK series. To Alan Brodie 1972 and raced by Brodie and by Steve Thompson. To Servis Appliances Racing Team 1973 and raced by Ray Allan early in the season. Then possibly the Robin Darlington car in Sep 1973 Reappeared with Colin Andrews (Banbury, Oxfordshire) 1974, then to Steve Cuff (Frome, Somerset) 1975 for hillclimbs. To Alan Richards (Cheltenham) and used in sprints and occasional hill climbs in 1976 and 1977. Used in sprints and occasional hill climbs by Bob Clapham in 1978 and 1979. Then unknown until sold by Brian Redman to Dave Swigler (Panama City, FL) in 1986. Dave believes Brian got it from Richard Attwood about two years earlier. Retained until Swigler sold his collection to Harin De Silva (Palos Verdes Estates, CA) in 2009. Restored by Virtuoso Performance and first raced at Laguna Seca in August 2011. Also raced in New Zealand in the 2011/12 Tasman Revival series and at the Phillip Island Classic in March 2013.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/7] (Tony Trimmer): New to Doug Hardwick's Henley Forklift team for the 1970 British Formula 5000 series. Raced by Mo Nunn (2 races), Davey Powell (7 races + 2 DNS) and Trevor Taylor (6 races) in 1970. To Kaye Griffiths (2 races + 1 DNQ), Terry Sanger (1 race only), Ian Ashley (3 races) and Tony Trimmer (1 race only) in 1971, during which time it was acquired by Rocky Plumridge. Retained by Plumridge for 1972 and raced by Ian Ashley (9 F5000 races, and DNQ for the Rothmans 50,000). Subsequent history unknown.
- Brabham BT16/21B [F2-19-65] (Dave Berry): Jack Brabham's works SCA-engined BT16, used during the 1965 mid-season and also raced by Chris Irwin when the Honda project was revived. To Robs Lamplough (London) for 1966 and retained for 1967. To John Watson (Craigavad, County Down, Northern Ireland) for Irish racing in 1967 and fitted with a Lotus-Ford twin-cam. Retained for 1968. Sold to Dave Berry (Colwyn Bay, Wales) for 1969 and used in UK libre; then fitted with an Oldsmobile V8 for 1970, 1971 and 1972. Last seen in October 1972.
- McLaren M18 [500-01] (Derek Bell): See full history: McLaren M18 500-01.
- Lotus 70  (Jock Russell): Jock Russell (Ford V8) UK 1970 (debut Mallory Park May 1970), UK 1971, UK 1972 (first rounds only); retained by Russell for many years - Peter Denty (date unknown): restored and raced in UK by Peter's son, James Denty. Raced by James at the Silverstone Classic in 2005 and at Watkins Glen in 2008. Offered for sale by Peter Denty (Thetford, Norfolk) in 2010. Raced again by James Denty at Watkins Glen in 2012 but on behalf of new owner Nick Grewal (Gilford, NH).
- McLaren M10B [400-05] (Gordon Spice): Barry Newman for Howden Ganley: UK 1970 (18 races, five second places) - Gordon Spice: Argentinean GP 1971; UK 1971 (11 races + 1 DNS). Rebuilt as 'Kitchmac' by Tony Kitchiner for 1972 season: driven by Gordon Spice (UK: 7 races + 1 DNS), John Kendall (UK: 2 races; US : 1 race only R3 Watkins Glen), Fred Saunders (UK: 1 DNS only), Alan Rollinson (UK: 1 race only), Roger Williamson (UK: 3 races); UK 1973: driven by Kaye Griffiths ( 1 race only), Richard Knight (5 races + 1 DNS). Not seen again after the end of 1973. It has been reported that this car was wrecked in an accident but it appears to have survived its final race in 1973 intact. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T142 [SL142/31] (Willie Wood): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/31.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (email@example.com) if you can help in any way with our research.