ShellSPORT 5000 European Championship race
Brands Hatch, 7 Nov 1976
|1||David Purley||(F5000) 3.4-litre Chevron B30 [30-75-01] - Ford GAA V6
#7 (see note 1)
|2||Derek Bell||(F1) 3-litre Penske PC3  - Cosworth DFV V8
|3||Richard Robarts||(F2) 2-litre March 762 [15 as '22'] - Hart 420R
|4||Eddie Cheever||(F2) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Hart 420R
|5||Keith Holland||Lola T400 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8
#25 (see note 2)
|6||Mike Wilds||(F1) 3-litre Shadow DN3B [2A as "DN3B/5A"] - Cosworth DFV V8
|7||Emilio de Villota||(F1) 3-litre Lyncar 006 - Cosworth DFV V8
|8||Jim Crawford||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 ["D"] - Ford BDA Hart
|9||Tony Rouff||(F2) 2-litre Boxer PR276  - Ford BDG
|10||Divina Galica||(F1) 3-litre Surtees TS16-4  - Cosworth DFV V8
|11||Peter Wardle||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Swindon
|12||Bernard de Dryver||(F2) 2-litre March 752  - BMW M12/7
|13||Dennis Leech||Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet Morand V8
(see note 3)
|14||Ian Grob||(F2) 2-litre Chevron B35 [35-76-05?] - Hart 420R
Fred Opert Racing (see note 4)
|15||Val Musetti||(F2) 2-litre March "752"  - Ford BDX Swindon
|16||José Maria de Uriarte||(F2) 2-litre March 762 [752-21] - Ford BDX
#49 Withers of Winsford [Roger Heavens Racing]
|17||Geoff Friswell||(F2) 2-litre March 732/742  - Hart 420R
(see note 5)
|18||John Nicholson||(F2) 2-litre March 752  - Chevrolet Vega
|19||Nick May||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Sana RD9 - Ford BDA
|20||Ray Mallock||(F2) 2-litre March 75B [U1] - Ford BDX Swindon
[Ardmore Racing] (see note 6)
|DNS||Philip Guerola||(G8 2.0) 1.9-litre Brabham BT30  - Cosworth FVC
(see note 7)
|Did not start|
|DNQ||Allan Kayes||Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 8)
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Cyd Williams||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Sana RD11 - Ford BDA Swindon
|Did not qualify|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Eddie Cheever||(F2) 2-litre Ralt RT1/76  - Hart 420R||0.49.6|
|2||David Purley||(F5000) 3.4-litre Chevron B30 [30-75-01] - Ford GAA V6||0.50.0|
|3||Derek Bell||(F1) 3-litre Penske PC3  - Cosworth DFV V8||0.50.0|
|4||Richard Robarts||(F2) 2-litre March 762 [15 as '22'] - Hart 420R||0.50.4|
|5||Emilio de Villota||(F1) 3-litre Lyncar 006 - Cosworth DFV V8||0.50.6|
|6||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8||0.50.6|
|7||Divina Galica||(F1) 3-litre Surtees TS16-4  - Cosworth DFV V8||0.50.8|
|8||Ray Mallock||(F2) 2-litre March 75B [U1] - Ford BDX Swindon||0.51.8|
|9||Tony Rouff||(F2) 2-litre Boxer PR276  - Ford BDG||0.51.8|
|10||Peter Wardle||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Surtees TS15  - Ford BDA Swindon||0.51.8|
|11||Bernard de Dryver||(F2) 2-litre March 752  - BMW M12/7||0.52.0|
|12||Val Musetti||(F2) 2-litre March "752"  - Ford BDX Swindon||0.52.0|
|13||Ian Grob||(F2) 2-litre Chevron B35 [35-76-05?] - Hart 420R||0.52.0|
|14||Nick May||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Sana RD9 - Ford BDA||0.52.4|
|15||José Maria de Uriarte||(F2) 2-litre March 762 [752-21] - Ford BDX||0.52.6|
|16||Mike Wilds||(F1) 3-litre Shadow DN3B [2A as "DN3B/5A"] - Cosworth DFV V8||0.52.8|
|17||Geoff Friswell||(F2) 2-litre March 732/742  - Hart 420R||0.52.8|
|18||John Nicholson||(F2) 2-litre March 752  - Chevrolet Vega||0.52.8|
|19||Dennis Leech||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.52.8|
|20||Jim Crawford||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Chevron B34 ["D"] - Ford BDA Hart||0.52.8|
|21||Allan Kayes *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8||0.53.6|
|22||Philip Guerola *||(G8 2.0) 1.9-litre Brabham BT30  - Cosworth FVC||0.59.9|
|23||Cyd Williams *||(F/Atl) 1.6-litre Sana RD11 - Ford BDA Swindon||1.03.4|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B30 [30-75-01] (David Purley): See full history: Chevron B30.
- Lola T400 [HU8] (Keith Holland): New to McKechnie Racing Org and raced by Richard Scott and Bob Evans in UK series 1975. To Len Gibbs for Keith Holland UK 1976 and early 1977. To Gerry Amato, then Allan Kayes for Group 8 in 1977. Then unknown until 'found in a garage in Cambridge' by Mike Connor and raced in a libre at Castle Combe Apr 1980. Next seen with Mick Hill 1982, who converted it into a "BMW M1" with 7.4-litre Chevrolet V8 for "GT" racing: raced in Donington GT series 1983 (shared between Hill and Kevin Riley). Also raced in Thundersports, co-driven by Riley 1983 and 1984 ... advertised by Straight Six (Tony Hildebrand) 1986 ... David Sheppard: raced in Thundersports, co-driven by Gary Dobbin, 1989 ... Ian Higgins (Boston, Lincolnshire) about 1990, and taken apart to recreate the Lola T400. To Shayne Windelburn (Auckland, New Zealand) around 1991. Raced by Windelburn in Australian and New Zealand historics from 2000 (or earlier), and raced regularly in the F5000 Tasman Revival from its start in November 2003, when he won the feature race at the opening round, to the 2017/18 season. More information about Lola T400 HU8
- Chevron B28 [28-74-02] (Dennis Leech): See full history: Chevron B28 74-02.
- Chevron B35 [35-76-05?] (Ian Grob): New to Fred Opert Racing for Formula 2 in 1976, and used by Juan Cochesa for the opening four races of season, until he failed to qualify at Salzburgring. Then driven Jarier at Pau, and later in the season by Hans Binder, Hans Meier, Jacques Laffite, Rolf Stommelen. Then rented by Ian Grob for two races of the Shellsport G8 series at Brands Hatch in October and November. The sister car to this was taken out for the Macau GP, so the next time 76-05 was seen was at the start of the 1977 season, prior to the Opert team's second and third B40s being delivered, when it was driven by Keke Rosberg at Silverstone and Hans Royer at Thruxton. Subsequent history unknown.
- March 732/742  (Geoff Friswell): STP March Engineering works car for Jean-Pierre Beltoise at the first race, then for Hans-Joachim Stuck at two races and then for Jean-Pierre Jarier at two races. A new car, 732-10, was later built for Beltoise so this 732-1 became what March called the "training car" and was used by Stuck later in the year and was then the third spare car remaining in March's transporter at several races. Probably for Mário Cabral at Estoril. Then unknown until June 1975 when acquired by John Calvert for libre racing in 742 spec. To Geoff Friswell mid-1976 and later to Jonathan Buncombe who fitted an FVC engine for libre races. Sold to Roger Orgee for Formula Atlantic in 1979. Sold after the 1979 season to Harry Vickers' Cowgate Motors in Newcastle and was used in the construction of their Group 5 Lotus Elan HV/80/S2 for Nicky Ellis. This car used a standard Elan backbone chassis with the suspension from the ex-Orgee 732/742/772 and a Swindon BDX. All that would have been left of Orgee's car would have been the monocoque, and as this was a replacement 742 tub, the March 732 had effectively ceased to exist.
- March 75B [U1] (Ray Mallock): An unnumbered March 75B built for Ray Mallock (Roade, Northamptonshire) and run for him in British Formula Atlantic and some F2 races by Ardmore Racing in 1975. It replaced the second-hand March 742 that Mallock wrecked in the Thruxton Formula 2 race in March. In 1976, Mallock raced the car in Formula 2 specification in the European F2 series and in the Shellsport Group 8 series. It is possible the car was still using the chassis plate of the old 742 during this time, as it was described by Motoring News as a 742 when it appeared at Hockenheim in September 1976. Subsequent history unknown.
- Brabham BT30  (Philip Guerola): Sold to John Watson (Craigavad, County Down, Northern Ireland) for F2 in 1970, replacing a Lola T100 that Watson had used with great success in Irish libre. Retained for F2 in 1971, during which time it was partly updated to BT36 specification. To Bob Howlings (Congleton, Cheshire) for libre 1972 and fitted with a 1800cc Cosworth FVC mid-season. Sold to Tony Dean (Leeds, West Yorkshire) in August so he would have a car for the Rothmans 50,000. To Phillip Guerola (Bickley, Kent) 1973 and raced in libre until the end of 1976. Advertised ("ex-Watson") as a rolling chassis from an Aylesbury number in January 1978 and bought by Barrie Dutnall (Medway, Kent) in 1979 or 1980 but not used. Advertised by Dutnall as a rolling chassis in June 1981. Said to have been owned by Jon Bradburn, David Rishworth (Leamington, Warwickshire) and Kelvin Lambeth before bought by David McLaughlin in or before 2003. To David Brown (Ashford, Kent) 2003. To Ian Gray (Mansfield, Nottinghamshire) 2004.
- Lola T330 [HU17] (Allan Kayes): See full history: Lola T330 HU17.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.