Mid-Ohio Grand Prix
Mid-Ohio, 27 Sep 1970
|1||George Follmer||Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Falconer & Dunn V8
||42||1h 03m 21.2s
|2||John Cannon||McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8
||42||1h 04m 18.2s
|3||Mark Donohue||Lola T192 [HU19] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|42||1h 04m 31.2s
|4||Gus Hutchison||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|42||1h 04m 58.2s
|5||Eppie Wietzes||McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8
|6||Michael Brockman||Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8
|7||John Martin||Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8
|8||Ron Grable||Lola T190 [190/F1/3] - Chevrolet V8
|9||Rich Galloway||Lola T190 [190/F1/1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|10||George Wintersteen||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|11||Bill Brack||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|12||Rex Ramsey||Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8
|13||Horst Kroll||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
|14||Bob Stanford||McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8
|15||John Saucier||Lola T142 [SL142/30] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|16||James Dunkel||McKee Mk 1 - Chevrolet V8
|17||John Eitelgeorge||(F5000) 2.5-litre Brabham BT21F - Climax FPF 4
|18||Doug Hooper||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8
|19||Dick Smothers||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
||26||Low oil pressure|
|20||Eric Haga||Lola T190 [190/F1/8] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|21||John Gunn||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
||17||Loose front wheel|
|22||Gregg Young||McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8
|23||David Hobbs||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
|24||Dow "Jack" Byers II||Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|3||Rear suspension damage|
|25||Craig Fisher||Lola T142 [SL142/29] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 7)
|26||Ludwig Heimrath||McLaren M10A [300-02] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 8)
|27||Spence Stoddard||Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8
|28||Gerard Raney||Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Tom Wood||Vulcan - Plymouth V8
||Did not start
|DNSC||Crockey Peterson||Lola T190 [190/F1/12] - Chevrolet V8
||Did not start (crashed)|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||George Follmer||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Ford Boss 302 Falconer & Dunn V8||1.27.6|
|2||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||1.27.9|
|3||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8||1.28.1|
|4||Ron Grable||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/3] - Chevrolet V8||1.29.3|
|5||George Wintersteen||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.30.6|
|6||Michael Brockman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8||1.30.7|
|7||Gus Hutchison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||1.30.9|
|8||Dick Smothers||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.30.1|
|9||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B - Chevrolet V8||1.31.4|
|10||Bill Brack||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||1.31.8|
|11||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||1.32.3|
|12||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||1.32.7|
|13||John Martin||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A - Chevrolet V8||1.33.2|
|15||Eric Haga||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/8] - Chevrolet V8||1.34.0|
|16||Dow "Jack" Byers II||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/6] - Chevrolet V8||1.34.2|
|17||Rich Galloway||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/1] - Chevrolet V8||1.34.3|
|18||Gregg Young||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-14] - Chevrolet V8||1.35.3|
|19||Ludwig Heimrath||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A [300-02] - Chevrolet V8||1.36.2|
|20||Spence Stoddard||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 - Chevrolet V8||1.36.3|
|21||Craig Fisher||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/29] - Chevrolet V8||1.36.8|
|22||Bob Stanford||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8||1.37.9|
|23||Gerard Raney||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8||1.38.5|
|24||James Dunkel||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 1 - Chevrolet V8||1.39.2|
|25||Doug Hooper||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8||1.39.5|
|26||Mark Donohue||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU19] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|27||Rex Ramsey||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|28||John Eitelgeorge||(F5000) 2.5-litre Brabham BT21F - Climax FPF 4||1.46.0|
|29||John Saucier||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/30] - Chevrolet V8||1.59.4|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T192 [HU19] (Mark Donohue): New to Roger Penske for Mark Donohue to drive in the 1970 US series, starting at Mosport 13 Sep 1970. To Competition Research & Development (Pomona, CA) for Brett Lunger US 1971, then to Larry McNeil US 1972, US 1973 and then in SCCA Nationals from 1974 to 1978. Via Alan Marvin to Gordon Close (Hinsdale, IL) 1979, and used it for 1979 SCCA drivers school and Regionals. To former racer Don O'Sullivan (Perth, Western Australia) in 1983 but not run by him and sold to Bob Harborow (Camberwell, Victoria, Australia) in 1989. Restored and used in historic racing in Australia, including VHRR Historic Sandown and Phillip Island Classic 1999-2013, and the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. Reappeared in October 2015, when run by Kieran Patel (Victoria, Australia) at the Baskerville Historics. More information about Lola T192 HU19
- Lola T190 (Gus Hutchison): New to Champlin Racing in July 1970 for Gus Hutchison to drive, replacing the F1 Brabham BT26 with which he had won two rounds of the US F5000 championship. Crashed in practice at Mosport, where Hutchison drove Crockey Peterson's T190 in the race. Hutchison was a non-starter again at Sebring in October, after which he and Doug Champlin parted company. The T190 was advertised by Champ Carr (San Juan Capistrano, CA), Champlin's new venture with Fred Carrillo, in Autoweek 13 Feb 1971. Bafflingly advertised ("ex-Hutchison") by Michael Brockman (Orlando, FL), the owner of T190/F1/18, in September 1972. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/1] (Rich Galloway): New to Jerry Hansen and raced at Sebring in December 1969. Also driven by Chuck Parsons (his #44 Aqua Velva T190 at US R1 1970), then by Hansen at the Laguna Seca Pro race on 14 June 1970. Advertised 25 Jul 1970. Apparantly sold to Rich Galloway and raced in the US series, starting from R9 Brainerd 16 Aug 1970. Probably the car used by Galloway Tasman 1971 (crashed by Bobby Brown in practice for R1 but rebuilt for Brown in remaining New Zealand races and then for Galloway in Australia; then crashed at last race. To Charlie Hayes and raced by Bobby Unser at the Questor GP 1971; presumably then the car advertised by Hayes in August 1971. Advertised "Bobby Unser's Questor GP T-190-92" from Los Altos, CA (in the San Francisco Bay Area) April 1972 which would appear to rule it out from being the either the Cal Rayburn or Dick Losk cars. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T142 [SL142/30] (John Saucier): Unknown in 1969 but maybe the car of Richard Negley (San Antonio, TX). Raced by John Saucier (MidWest City, OK) in 1970, 1971 and 1972. To Brad Blankenship (Indianapolis, IN) 1972, then to Duane Smith (Milwaukee, WI) 1973 and raced to 1975. Then to Dick St John's car owner, converted into a supermodified and raced in 1975 by Dick St John (Milwaukee, WI). Still in his livery when sold by Mike McComas (Pampa, TX) to Earl Zwickey (Amarillo, TX) 1995. Sold to Kerry Anderson (Auckland, New Zealand) late 2004 or early 2005, and raced by in the F5000 Revival Series from 2006 onwards. More information about Lola T142 SL142/30
- Lola T190 [190/F1/8] (Eric Haga): New to Eric Haga (Seattle, WA) and raced in the US Pro series in 1970. To Don Baker (Long Beach, CA) for 1971 and used in local SCCA events. To Jim Gustafson (Costa Mesa, CA) for 1974 and again raced in West Coast SCCA events. To Richard Votava (Southern California) in 1975. The log book then identifies a Troy R. Milken (or Millen or Milleau) driving the car in a school on 21 Feb 1976. Then Votava in SCCA Regionals (mainly at RIR) in 1976 and 1977; then SCCA Nationals in 1978 and 1979. To Marshall R. Tarnow March 1980 - Alan Sevadjain (owned with Don Johnstone) and raced at Texas in 1981 - Larry C. Clain (Tulsa, OK) and raced at RIR and elsewhere 1982 - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) 1984 - Chip Boatright (Illinois) 2006. Sold back to original driver Eric Haga (Renton, WA) for historic racing. Appeared in the 2011/12 and 2012/13 Tasman Revival series, but wrecked at Teretonga Park in February 2013.
- Lola T190 [190/F1/6] (Dow "Jack" Byers II): Test car. Epstein-Cuthbert for Mike Hailwood UK R1 1970 but crashed Heat 1 and replaced by 190/F1/15 for next three races. Original car apparantly to Dow 'Jack' Byers II US 1970 (11 races) and presumably the car he raced at Questor 1971 ("T190/6"). Advertised by Jack Byers 12 Jun 1971. Subsequent history unknown. Note that two cars in the US may have carried this number, Byers' and Don Dierking's ex-Epstein car (see 190/15).
- Lola T142 [SL142/29] (Craig Fisher): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/29.
- McLaren M10A [300-02] (Ludwig Heimrath): See full history: McLaren M10A 300-02.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.