Minnesota Grand Prix
Brainerd, 15 Aug 1971
|1||Brett Lunger||Lola T192 [HU19] - Chevrolet V8
#6 Quick-Over (see note 1)
|2||Eppie Wietzes||McLaren M18 - Chevrolet V8
#94 Formula Racing
|3||Lothar Motschenbacher||McLaren M18 - Chevrolet V8
#1 (see note 2)
|4||Gerard Raney||Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8
|5||Bill Brack||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
|6||Skip Barber||(F1) 3-litre March 711  - Cosworth DFV V8
#2 Triple R Racing
|7||David Hobbs||McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8
#10 Hogan Racing
|8||John Gunn||Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8
|9||Jerry Hansen||Lola T192 [HU23] - Chevrolet V8
|10||Chris Cook||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8
|11||John Marshall||McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8
|12||Gregg Young||(F1) 3-litre Surtees TS7  - Cosworth DFV V8
|13||Nick Dioguardi||Surtees TS5 - Chevrolet V8
|14||Horst Kroll||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
|15||Robert Fischetti||Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8
|16||Pete Sherman||Lola T192 [HU27] - Chevrolet V8
|17||Richard Negley||Lola T192 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8
|18||Dave Jordan||Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8
|19||James Dunkel||Lola T190 [190/F1/10] - Chevrolet V8
|20||Jack Eiteljorg||Lola T192 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8
|21||John Saucier||Lola T142 [SL142/30] - Chevrolet V8
#61 (see note 3)
|22||Franz Weis||Chaparral - Chevrolet V8
|23||Bob Stanford||McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8
|24||Jim Dittemore||Lola T192 [HU22] - Chevrolet V8
|41||overheating - oil leak|
|25||Clive Baker||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
#88 Corsair Racing (see note 4)
|26||Sam Posey||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
#34 Champ Carr
|27||Evan Noyes||McLaren M18 [500-06] - Chevrolet V8
#47 (see note 5)
|28||Randy Blessing||Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8
#31 LWB (see note 6)
|DNSC||Ron Grable||ASD American Mk 1 - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start (crashed)|
| ||Crockey Peterson||Coyote [Lotus 38/4?] - Chevrolet V8
#14 (see note 7)
|On entry list|
| ||Bud Morley||Lola T192 - Chevrolet V8
|On entry list|
| ||Jim Bandy||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
|On entry list|
| ||Michael Brockman||Lola T190 [190/F1/18] - Chevrolet V8
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|24||Sam Posey||15||head gasket|
|22||Dave Jordan||12||oil pressure|
|23||Jerry Hansen||7||head gasket|
|25||Jack Eiteljorg||7||oil pressure|
|26||Evan Noyes||6||head gasket|
|1||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-01] - Chevrolet V8||1.31.739|
|2||Sam Posey||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||1.31.857|
|3||Brett Lunger||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU19] - Chevrolet V8||1.33.800|
|4||Skip Barber||(F1) 3-litre March 711  - Cosworth DFV V8||1.33.999|
|5||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 - Chevrolet V8||1.34.086|
|6||Jim Dittemore||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU22] - Chevrolet V8||1.34.216|
|7||Jerry Hansen||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU23] - Chevrolet V8||1.34.747|
|8||Ron Grable *||(F5000) 5-litre ASD American Mk 1 - Chevrolet V8|
|9||Lothar Motschenbacher||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 - Chevrolet V8||1.35.602|
|10||Gerard Raney||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8||1.36.417|
|11||Evan Noyes||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 [500-06] - Chevrolet V8||1.36.420|
|12||Richard Negley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8||1.36.693|
|13||Gregg Young||(F1) 3-litre Surtees TS7  - Cosworth DFV V8||1.36.839|
|14||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8||1.37.146|
|15||Dave Jordan||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5  - Chevrolet V8||1.38.071|
|16||Jack Eiteljorg||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8||1.38.274|
|17||Nick Dioguardi||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5 - Chevrolet V8||1.38.296|
|18||Chris Cook||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8||1.38.454|
|19||Pete Sherman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T192 [HU27] - Chevrolet V8||1.39.468|
|20||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||1.39.492|
|21||Franz Weis||(F5000) 5-litre Chaparral - Chevrolet V8||1.39.973|
|22||John Marshall||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A - Chevrolet V8||1.40.601|
|23||James Dunkel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190 [190/F1/10] - Chevrolet V8||1.41.683|
|24||Clive Baker||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||1.41.724|
|25||Robert Fischetti||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5  - Chevrolet V8||1.42.065|
|26||John Saucier||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/30] - Chevrolet V8||1.46.338|
|27||Bob Stanford||(F5000) 5-litre McKee Mk 7 - Chevrolet V8||1.46.487|
|29||Randy Blessing||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 - Chevrolet V8||1.49.358|
|30||Bill Brack||(F5000) 5-litre Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T192 [HU19] (Brett Lunger): New to Roger Penske for Mark Donohue to drive in the 1970 US series, starting at Mosport 13 Sep 1970. To Competition Research & Development (Pomona, CA) for Brett Lunger US 1971, then to Larry McNeil US 1972, US 1973 and then in SCCA Nationals from 1974 to 1978. Via Alan Marvin to Gordon Close (Hinsdale, IL) 1979, and used it for 1979 SCCA drivers school and Regionals. To former racer Don O'Sullivan (Perth, Western Australia) in 1983 but not run by him and sold to Bob Harborow (Camberwell, Victoria, Australia) in 1989. Restored and used in historic racing in Australia, including VHRR Historic Sandown and Phillip Island Classic 1999-2013, and the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. Reappeared in October 2015, when run by Kieran Patel (Victoria, Australia) at the Baskerville Historics. More information about Lola T192 HU19
- McLaren M18 (Lothar Motschenbacher): May be 500-07. This car was originally built for Graham McRae to replace the car crashed in practice at Snetterton in April 1972 but it remained unused as Trojan "released" McRae. The M18 was sold instead to Lothar Motschenbacher and used in the SCCA series in North America, starting at Edmonton on 1 August. Motschenbacher retained the car for 1972 but it was very badly damaged at Road Atlanta in August when Motschenbacher and two other drivers crashed at Turn 1 in a sudden rain storm just as the race was finishing. Jonesy Morris, his mechanic at the time, recalls that the car was not repairable. Duncan Fox has been working hard to determine the fate of this car and is now satisfied that the tub was dumped although some parts from the car may survive somewhere. Some parts were reported to be in Los Angeles in 2002.
- Lola T142 [SL142/30] (John Saucier): Unknown in 1969 but maybe the car of Richard Negley (San Antonio, TX). Raced by John Saucier (MidWest City, OK) in 1970, 1971 and 1972. To Brad Blankenship (Indianapolis, IN) 1972, then to Duane Smith (Milwaukee, WI) 1973 and raced to 1975. Then to Dick St John's car owner, converted into a supermodified and raced in 1975 by Dick St John (Milwaukee, WI). Still in his livery when sold by Mike McComas (Pampa, TX) to Earl Zwickey (Amarillo, TX) 1995. Sold to Kerry Anderson (Auckland, New Zealand) late 2004 or early 2005, and raced by in the F5000 Revival Series from 2006 onwards. More information about Lola T142 SL142/30
- Surtees TS8  (Clive Baker): New for Bob Griffin's Corsair Racing Team (San Antonio, TX) June 1971 for Clive Baker to race in the US series (from Edmonton 1 Aug 1971). The TS8 was retained for Baker for 1972 as teammate to Ron Grable in a new TS11, but the team did not reappear after Grable crashed his TS11 at Edmonton on 4 Jun 1972 and went bust at some point during the year. Both cars were sold to Gus Hutchison (Dallas, TX), and the TS8 was entered by Hutchison's HRE (Dallas, TX) for Syd Demovsky (Chicago, IL) throughout the 1973 US series, with a best finish of ninth in the final race. The TS8 was advertised by Hutchison in Autoweek 22 Sep 1973 and later 7 Dec 1974 as "ready to race". Also in the advert was a TS11 which was said to have a new tub and a further new spare tub. Subsequent history unknown.
- McLaren M18 [500-06] (Evan Noyes): See full history: McLaren M18 500-06.
- Lola T142 (Randy Blessing): Randy Blessing (Lakeland, FL) raced a T142 in the SCCA Regional at Daytona in August 1970 and at the 'Pro' race at Sebring 25 Oct 1970. He raced more consistently in the Pro series 1971 entered as #31, appearing in five races but retiring at every one. The Lola's colour was listed at Brainerd as blue. Blessing's recollection is that his T142 was John Gunn's, but that clashes with a newspaper article from November 1969 where Dave Heinz stated that he had bought that car from Gunn. Blessing later advertised both his T142 and the ex-Hood T140 in Aug 1972 but before the T142 could be sold, Blessing wrecked the T142 in a race at Roebling Road. Although the mangled frame was sold off, Blessing reports that "there really was nothing left of it".
- Coyote [Lotus 38/4?] (Crockey Peterson): Built 1965 (fifth chassis built) from spares with symmetrical suspension and using some parts from the original 38/2. Used by Jim Clark at St Ursanne and Ollon-Villars 1965. For Jim Clark at the 1966 Indy 500 (#19 qualified 2nd, finished second). Sold to AJ Foyt and wrecked in practice at Milwaukee a week later when the suspension on the straight and the car hit the wall and burst into flames. Returned to Lotus in England and rebuilt; returned to Foyt August 1966 but no further results known in 1966. Likely to have been the #84 Lotus 38 used by Foyt in the opening races of 1967, then by Gary Congdon at the Indy 500 when he was bumped. With the other Foyt 38s wrecked, this last survivor would be the car Foyt raced at Langhorne in July. Several years later, a ‘Coyote’ was raced in F5000 by Crockey Peterson, but photographs show that it was a Lotus 38, and it has been identified as 38/4. Later sold to Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) and then to collector James L. Jaeger (Cincinnati, OH). Run at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 1997, 1998 and 2000. On display in the Speedway Museum March 2009. Ran again at Goodwood 2011.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.