SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round
Mosport Park, 20 Jun 1976
|1||Alan Jones||Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8
#64 Theodore Racing Hong Kong (see note 1)
|2||Jackie Oliver||Shadow DN6B [3A] - Dodge V8
#0 Phoenix Racing
|3||Teddy Pilette||Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#4 Racing Team V.D.S. (see note 2)
|4||Danny Ongais||Lola T332 [HU54] - Chevrolet V8
#63 Interscope Racing (see note 3)
|5||Warwick Brown||Lola T332C [HU55] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Bay Racing
|6||Vern Schuppan||Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8
#48 Jorgensteel Steel
|7||Randy Lewis||Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8
#28 Wrangler (see note 4)
|8||Brian Redman||Lola T332C [HU56] - Chevrolet V8
#1 Boraxo Chaparral
|9||Bob Lazier||Lola T330/T332 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#34 [not on entry list] (see note 5)
|10||John David Briggs||Lola T332 [HU50] - Chevrolet V8
#71 Briggs & Fodge Racing Enterprises
(see note 6)
|11||"Tuck" Thomas||Lola T332 [HU38 (B)] - Chevrolet V8
#88 Lancer Stores
|12||John Benton||Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
#22 Formula Magazine (see note 7)
|13||Horst Kroll||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#37 Horst Kroll Racing
|14||Eppie Wietzes||Lola T400M [HU9] - Chevrolet V8
#94 Formula Racing Ltd (see note 8)
|15||Bob Nagel||Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8
#75 Nagel Racing (see note 9)
|16||Richard Shirey||Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8
#74 Team Ad
|17||Arlon J. Koops||Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8
#85 Solazore IV Ltd (see note 10)
|R||Geoff Davie||March "741" [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8
#93 [not on entry list] (see note 11)
|R||Peter Gethin||Chevron B37 [37-76-01] - Chevrolet V8
#3 Racing Team V.D.S. (see note 12)
|R||Sam Posey||Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
#7 Evel Kneivel Racing Team
|R||Bert Kuehne||Lola T300 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8
#16 Skyline Leasing & Bert Kuehne
|R||Greg Hodges||(F5000) Lola T150 2WD [SL150/3?] - Chevrolet
#49 Gregory Hodges/49'er Spec (see note 13)
|R||Steve "Yogi" Behr||Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8
#47 [not on entry list] (see note 14)
|DNQH||John Gunn||Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8
#39 Racing Consultants (see note 15)
|Did not qualify from heats
(20th in Heat 1)
|DNS||Graham McRae||Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
#6 Eddie Lewis Racing (see note 16)
|Did not start|
|DNSC||Bill Baker||Lola T332 [HU41-2] - Chevrolet V8
#55 Barbara Baker (see note 17)
|Did not start (crashed)|
| ||John Cannon||March 73A/751 ["75AM"] - Chevrolet V8
#9 British American Racing
|On entry list|
| ||Dick Messier||Chevron B24/B28 - Chevrolet V8
#36 Richard Messier Motor Racing
|On entry list|
| ||Gerre Payvis||Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8
#47 Gerre Payvis (see note 18)
|On entry list|
| ||Bruce Allison||Lola T332 - Chevrolet V8
#62 Theodore Racing Hong Kong
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Jackie Oliver||20||27:00.074||109.239 mph|
|12||John David Briggs|
|18||Arlon J. Koops|
|23||Steve "Yogi" Behr|
|1||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU56] - Chevrolet V8||1:13.871|
|2||Alan Jones||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8||1:13.975|
|3||Danny Ongais||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU54] - Chevrolet V8||1:14.771|
|4||Jackie Oliver||(F5000) 5-litre Shadow DN6B [3A] - Dodge V8||1:14.801|
|5||Warwick Brown||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU55] - Chevrolet V8||1:15.949|
|6||Randy Lewis||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8||1:16.156|
|7||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||1:16.308|
|8||Sam Posey||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8||1:16.513|
|9||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B37 [37-76-01] - Chevrolet V8||1:17.227|
|10||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8||1:18.193|
|11||Bob Nagel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8||1:19.359|
|12||John David Briggs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU50] - Chevrolet V8||1:19.516|
|13||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||1:19.847|
|14||Bill Baker *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU41-2] - Chevrolet V8||1:21.642|
|15||Bob Lazier||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330/T332 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||1:22.778|
|16||John Benton||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||1:22.956|
|17||"Tuck" Thomas||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU38 (B)] - Chevrolet V8||1:23.022|
|18||Geoff Davie||(F5000) 5-litre March "741" [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8||1:25.153|
|19||Arlon J. Koops||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8||1:25.612|
|20||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400M [HU9] - Chevrolet V8||1:26.147|
|21||Steve "Yogi" Behr||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8||1:28.546|
|22||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|23||Graham McRae *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|24||Greg Hodges||(F5000) Lola T150 2WD [SL150/3?] - Chevrolet||No time|
|25||Richard Shirey||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU37] (Alan Jones): See full history: Lola T332 HU37.
- Lola T430 [HU1] (Teddy Pilette): VDS for Teddy Pilette US 1976 (6 races; best result 3rd at R3 Mosport Park 20 Jun); used as spare car to Brown's HU2 in Australian Internationals 1977 - Alan Hamilton (Australia): used as spare car; maybe Jon Davison's car Australian Gold Star 1977 (R1 Surfers Paradise 28 Aug 1977 only). Built up after Hamilton's crash at the 1978 Australian GP and raced by Alfredo Costanzo: Australian Gold Star 1978; Australian Internationals 1979 (won at Sandown Park and Adelaide); Australian Gold Star 1979 (won at Sandown 9 Sep); Australian Gold Star 1980 (won at Sandown 14 Sep and Winton 26 Oct); Australian GP 1980 (4th) - Bob Minogue: Australian Gold Star 1981, Arco Graphic 1981/82. Minogue still holds several lap records in Australia, including the Sandown International circuit record for F5000, set on 2 Mar 1986 and the Historic F5000 record at Winton on 30 May 1993. Subsequently sold to Gavin Bain, then to Graham Cameron, who raced it at Historic Sandown in 2000. To David Abbott (Christchurch, NZ) by 2002, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival regularly from 2003 to 2008, when Abbott moved over to his newly rebuilt HU2. Then raced by Ken Smith in the series from 2008 to 2010.
- Lola T332 [HU54] (Danny Ongais): Thought to be the F5000 Lola T332 chassis bought by Interscope Racing for Danny Ongais to replace the car damaged by Ongais at Riverside 1975. Then the T332-spec spare car used by Ongais alongside his new T332C in the US series in 1976. The spare car was "comprehensively written off" in practice at Elkhart Lake but may well have been repaired. This is believed to be the car deposited in the Justice Brothers Museum some time between 1977 and 1980 by Ed O'Brien. It remained in the museum until 2010 when acquired by Ken Smith (Auckland, New Zealand), his chief crew Barry Miller and Phil Richardson. Raced in the 2011/12 F5000 Tasman Revival series but Smith crashed heavily at its second race. Rebuilt with a new monocoque, and raced in the series every season from 2012/13 to 2017/18.
- Lola T332 [HU39] (Randy Lewis): See full history: Lola T332 HU39.
- Lola T330/T332 [HU15] (Bob Lazier): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- Lola T332 [HU50] (John David Briggs): See full history: Lola T332 HU50.
- Lola T330 [HU26] (John Benton): See full history: Lola T330 HU26.
- Lola T400M [HU9] (Eppie Wietzes): New to Eppie Wietzes (Thornhill, Ontario) and raced in the SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship in 1975 and early 1976. Retained by Wietzes until 1986 and used as show car by Canadian Tyre in mid-1980's. Sold to Horst Kroll and converted to Can-Am Frissbee specification as "Frissbee KR4" for Can-Am 1986 and CAT in 1987. Retained by Kroll until sold to Glenn Richards (Auckland, New Zealand) in mid-2010. Raced by Reg Cook in the 2010/11 F5000 Tasman Revival series, and then by Richards in the series every season from 2013/14 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T400 HU9
- Lola T332 [HU33] (Bob Nagel): See full history: Lola T332 HU33.
- Lola T330 [HU20] (Arlon J. Koops): See full history: Lola T330 HU20.
- March "741" [73A/3(B)] (Geoff Davie): See full history: March 73A/3.
- Chevron B37 [37-76-01] (Peter Gethin): To VDS Racing and entered for Peter Gethin in the 1976 US F5000 series (also raced once by Teddy Pilette) and in the Rothmans series in Australia in early 1977. To Bruce Allison (Brisbane, Australia) and raced by him in the 1977 UK Group 8 Championship and in the Rothmans series again in Australia in early 1978. Then to Ivan Tighe (Brisbane) and raced in national Australian F5000 and in the International series in 1979. Raced by Tighe up to the end of F5000 in Australia in 1982 and retained by him until 2001. Then sold via Race Car Warehouse (Brighton, England) in early 2002 to Simon Hadfield (Shepshed, Leicestershire) and completely restored. Raced with great success by Hadfield in historic racing both in the UK and in Australia from 2004 to 2008. It has since been raced by guest drivers, including Tony Trimmer at Oulton Park in 2009, Marcus Pye at Oulton Park in 2010 and Ben Anderson at the 2012 Silverstone Classic. Sold in October 2014 to Neil Glover (Ansty, West Sussex).
- Lola T150 2WD [SL150/3?] (Greg Hodges): New to Roger Penske, in December 1968 according to Lola records, although it has been claimed that Penske's car was a rebuild of a car that raced some time in 1968. The car would be driven by Mark Donohue, who was also driving Penske's Lola T70 in sports car racing, and both Lolas used Chevrolet engines. The T150 did not run at the Indy 500, where Donohue used a brand new T152 instead, and was a non-starter at IRP in July. Donohue was seventh and fourth in two races at Brainerd in September, but retired at Seattle and Riverside. The car was fitted with a turbo Ford for testing at the start of 1970, but used a Chevrolet engine when raced at Sears Point and IRP. Sold to Dick Simon for 1971, and raced with a turbo Ford engine as the #10 TraveLodge Sleeper entry. Also used at Milwaukee in August 1972, when Simon focused on his new 1972 Peat-Lola, and possibly at other short track events. The car reappeared in 1976 when Greg Hodges (Indianapolis, IN) attempted to qualify it for several short-track Indycar races, without success. The car then had a Chevrolet engine, and still had the bulbous sidetanks seen when Simon had raced it in 1971. Subsequent history unknown, but some time around 1982 the car was in the collection of Dieter Holterbosch (Cove Neck, NY), a well-known collector of cars who died in July 2016 age 95. It was for sale from the collection at the time for $12,000.
- Lola T330 [HU19] (Steve "Yogi" Behr): See full history: Lola T330 HU19.
- Lola T332 [HU47] (John Gunn): See full history: Lola T332 HU47.
- Lola T332 [HU46] (Graham McRae): See full history: Lola T332 HU46.
- Lola T332 [HU41-2] (Bill Baker): See full history: Lola T332 HU41.
- Lola T330 [HU19] (Gerre Payvis): See full history: Lola T330 HU19.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.