Australian Gold Star Race
Oran Park, 19 Sep 1976
|1||Max Stewart||Lola T400 [HU3] - Chevrolet V8
#16 (see note 1)
|2||Kevin Bartlett||Lola T400 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#5 Shellsport (see note 2)
|3||John Leffler||Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#7 Grace Bros Racing (see note 3)
|4||Bruce Allison||Lola T332 ['HU22-3'] - Chevrolet V8
#62 Hobby & Toyland (see note 4)
|5||Garrie Cooper||Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8
Ansett Team Elfin
|6||Chris Farrell||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 622  - Ford twin cam
|7||John Edmonds||Elfin MR5-B  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 5)
|NC||Gil Cameron||McLaren M10B [400-02] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|R||Ken Shirvington||Lola T400 [HU4] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 7)
|R||John Goss||Matich A51/A53  - Repco Holden V8
|R||John McCormack||(F5000) 4.9-litre McLaren M23  - Leyland P76 Repco V8
|R||Stephen Fraser||Cicada  - Chevrolet V8
|R||Andrew Miedecke||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT36 (Dolphin) ['3'] - Ford twin cam
|R||Enno Buesselman||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 622  - Ford twin cam
||3||Broken gear linkage|
|R||Chris Milton||McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 8)
|DNS||Jon Davison||Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 9)
|Did not start
|DNS||Peter Warren||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Birrana 273 [273-007] - Ford twin cam
||Did not start|
|DNA||Terry Hook||Lola T332 ['071-084'] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 10)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Ian Adams||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 11)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Peter Larner||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 700  - Ford twin cam
||Did not arrive|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Max Stewart||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU3] - Chevrolet V8||01.05.5|
|2||John Goss||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A51/A53  - Repco Holden V8||01.06.0|
|3||Bruce Allison||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 ['HU22-3'] - Chevrolet V8||01.07.0|
|4||John McCormack||(F5000) 4.9-litre McLaren M23  - Leyland P76 Repco V8||01.07.3|
|5||John Leffler||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||01.07.4|
|6||Garrie Cooper||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8||01.07.6|
|7||Jon Davison *||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8||01.10.0|
|8||Andrew Miedecke||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Brabham BT36 (Dolphin) ['3'] - Ford twin cam||01.10.0|
|9||Chris Farrell||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 622  - Ford twin cam||01.10.0|
|10||Enno Buesselman||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Elfin 622  - Ford twin cam||01.10.2|
|11||Chris Milton||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8||01.11.4|
|12||John Edmonds||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR5-B  - Repco Holden V8||01.12.1|
|13||Ken Shirvington||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU4] - Chevrolet V8||01.13.0|
|14||Gil Cameron||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-02] - Chevrolet V8||01.13.9|
|15||Stephen Fraser||(F5000) 5-litre Cicada  - Chevrolet V8||01.16.6|
|16||Peter Warren *||(ANF2) 1.6-litre Birrana 273 [273-007] - Ford twin cam||01.16.7|
|17||Kevin Bartlett||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||DNP|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T400 [HU3] (Max Stewart): See full history: Lola T400 HU3.
- Lola T400 [HU1] (Kevin Bartlett): See full history: Lola T400 HU1.
- Lola T400 [HU15] (John Leffler): See full history: Lola T400 HU15.
- Lola T332 ['HU22-3'] (Bruce Allison): Effectively a new Lola T332 built for Kevin Bartlett to replace the T330 crashed at Pukekohe in January 1974. Raced by Bartlett in the Australian Gold Star from August 1974 onwards. To Bruce Allison for 1975 and raced in Australian Gold Star 1975, and New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976, but crashed and heavily damaged at Oran Park 1 Feb. Rebuilt again on another T332 tub and raced by Allison later in 1976. Sold by Allison to Martin Sampson of Magnum Wheels, and raced for him by Kevin Bartlett in the 1977 Australian Internationals 1977, by Alan Jones at Surfers after he wrecked his T332C HU61, then by Johnnie Walker in September 1977, and in Australia in 1978 and 1979. Sampson retired the car after 1979, and it was displayed at the Birdwood Museum until sold to Bob Minogue in 1987. Raced for Minoque by Barry Ward in 1987, then sold to Paul Cromarty (Aus), then Adrian Whapham (NZ) in 1994 or 1995. To Stan Redmond (Christchurch, NZ) by 2001 and raced in F5000 Tasman Revival series. To Peter Sundberg (Auckland, New Zealand) 2009. To David Banks (Auckland, New Zealand) and raced by him in the 2017/18 Tasman Revival series. More information about Lola T332 'the Kevin Bartlett car'
- Elfin MR5-B  (John Edmonds): Works Elfin Sports Cars entry for Garrie Cooper in the 1972 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1973 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1974 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, and the 1975 Tasman and Australian Gold Star. Rebuilt in August 1975 as the MR5-B. Sold to John Edmonds for the last race of the Australian Gold Star, then the 1976 New Zealand and Australian Internationals, the 1976 national season, and the 1977 Australian Internationals. Then to Phil Ward 1977, and then with Mike Pope from 1980 to 1986. History then unknown until bought from Geoff Munday by Gavin Sala. Sold by Sala to Ken Smith in Nnew Zealand, and reportedly with Barrie Flett in 1994. The car is said to have spent time in a museum in NZ, before being bought by Smith again, and sold back to Geoff Munday some time before 2014.
- McLaren M10B [400-02] (Gil Cameron): New to Niel Allen (Australia) late 1969, and raced in 1970 and 1971 Tasman series. To Kevin Bartlett for 1971 Australian Gold Star and 1972 Tasman 1972, then to US for at least one race in 1972. Then unknown until bought by Gil Cameron, and raced in Australia from 1975 to 1977. Donated parts to Tony Edmondson's Alfetta Chev sports sedan, and the remainder of the car stored at Elfin during the 1980s. Subsequent history unknown, but later owned by Llynden Riethmuller (Sydney, NSW) in 2007. After Riethmuller's death, sold to Alan Hamilton in 2011, and restored for historic racing. More information about McLaren M10B 400-2
- Lola T400 [HU4] (Ken Shirvington): See full history: Lola T400 HU4.
- McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] (Chris Milton): See full history: McLaren M18 500-01.
- Matich A50  (Jon Davison): Bought by Johnny Walker, and fitted with the engine and transmission from his Elfin MR5. Raced by Walker in the 1972 Australian Gold Star, 1973 Australian Internationals, then to America for four races in the US series. To Jon Davison for the 1974 Australian Gold Star and 1975 Australian Internationals 1975 Australian Gold Star, 1976 Australian Internationals, 1976 Australian Gold Star, and 1977 Australian Internationals. To Bronwyn Taylor 1977 and raced in 1978 and 1979 - Geoff Munyard 1980 - leased to Kevin Leighton 1982 - Graham Stoll - Peter Brennan (Melbourne, Australia) - Ziggy Schueller 1990 - Ken Smith (NZ) 1992 or 1993 - James Boult (NZ) 1996 - Russell Greer (NZ) 1996 - Richard Bendell (Australia) 2001 - Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW, Australia) 2004 - Philip Lewis 2013.
- Lola T332 ['071-084'] (Terry Hook): See full history: Lola T330 HU7.
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Ian Adams): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. In ecember 1974, Kevin Bartlett used the car to win a New Zealand Gold Star race. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Australian Gold Star results for the period 1971-1976 are now available from a variety Australian magazines and yearbooks. As well as Racing Car News, results have been cross-checked against the 1972 Australian Motoring Yearbook and the 1973 and 1974 Australian Competition Yearbooks. Information is added from Autosport where available. The 1975 season was collated by Glenn Moulds using Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag, Australian Competition Year, "50 Years Of The Australian Grand Prix" and "Australia's Elfin Sports and Racing Cars". For the 1976 season, Glenn was also able to use Motor Sport Reporter from R3 Calder onwards.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help in any way with our research.