Rothmans F5000 Championship round
Silverstone, 7 Apr 1973
|1||David Hobbs||Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#18 Hogan Racing (see note 1)
|2||Brett Lunger||Lola T330 [HU12] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#19 Hogan Racing (see note 2)
|3||Tony Dean||Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#58 Anglo American Racing Team (see note 3)
|4||Tom Belsø||Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#208 ShellSPORT Luxembourg (see note 4)
|5||David Oxton||Begg FM5  - Chevrolet Morand-Begg V8
#39 G. N. Begg Engineering
|6||Teddy Pilette||Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#33 Racing Team VDS (see note 5)
|7||Ian Ashley||Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8
#56 Henley Forklift Co. Ltd. (see note 6)
|8||Steve Thompson||Chevron B24 [24-72-01] - Chevrolet RES V8
#65 Servis Appliances Racing Team
(see note 7)
|9||Clive Santo||Surtees TS11  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#53 ShellSPORT Luxembourg
|10||Jock Russell||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#55 (see note 8)
|11||Gijs van Lennep||Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#51 ShellSPORT Luxembourg (see note 9)
|12||Bobby Brown||Chevron B24 [24-73-03] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#59 Anglo American Racing Team (see note 10)
|13||Bob Evans||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet RES V8
#61 McKechnie Racing Organisation
(see note 11)
|14||Ray Allen||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet RES V8
#64 Servis Appliances Racing Team
(see note 12)
|15||Alan Rollinson||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Molloy V8
#62 (see note 13)
|16||Keith Holland||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#25 Ian Ward Racing (see note 14)
|17||Colin Hyams||Lola T330 [HU6] - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8
#66 (see note 15)
|18||John Bowtell||McLaren M10A/B [300-16] - Rover Lilley V8
#28 Andrew Cavell (see note 16)
|DNS||Graham McRae||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
#22 Iberia Team McRae (see note 17)
|Did not start
|DNS||John Gunn||March 73A  - Chevrolet Crane V8
#38 John Gunn (see note 18)
|Did not start
|DNS||John Campbell||Surtees TS8B ["014"] - Chevrolet V8
#40 (see note 19)
|Did not start|
|DNA||Chris Shaw||Leda LT25  - Chevrolet V8
#26 Chris Shaw
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||TBA||Lola T142 [SL142/35] - Chevrolet V8
#27 Chris Shaw (see note 20)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||TBA||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet V8
#52 Sidney Taylor (see note 21)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Guy Edwards||Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#54 Barclays International Racing
(see note 22)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 17.5s|
|2||Brett Lunger||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU12] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 18.2s|
|3||Tony Dean||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 19.2s|
|4||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 19.2s|
|5||John Gunn *||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet Crane V8||1m 19.3s|
|6||Steve Thompson||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-72-01] - Chevrolet RES V8||1m 20.0s|
|7||Alan Rollinson||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Molloy V8||1m 20.3s|
|8||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 20.9s|
|9||Tom Belsø||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 21.0s|
|10||Graham McRae *||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1m 21.3s|
|11||Bobby Brown||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-03] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 21.4s|
|12||David Oxton||(F5000) 5-litre Begg FM5  - Chevrolet Morand-Begg V8||1m 21.5s|
|13||Bob Evans||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet RES V8||1m 21.5s|
|14||Gijs van Lennep||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 22.5s|
|15||Clive Santo||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS11  - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 22.4s|
|16||Ian Ashley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8||1m 23.1s|
|17||Ray Allen||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet RES V8||1m 24.3s|
|18||Jock Russell||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 26.0s|
|19||Colin Hyams||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU6] - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8||1m 34.5s|
|20||John Campbell *||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8B ["014"] - Chevrolet V8||1m 35.4s|
|21||John Bowtell||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A/B [300-16] - Rover Lilley V8||1m 39.3s|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T330 [HU15] (David Hobbs): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- Lola T330 [HU12] (Brett Lunger): See full history: Lola T330 HU12.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-01] (Tony Dean): Built for 1973 season. Tony Dean: raced in UK 1973, US 1973, UK 1974 (crashed at R1 - Dean then buys B24-73-08), also used to settle a bet at the BARC Harewood hill climb 4 Aug 1974; UK 1975 (driven by Dean 3 races, Alain Peltier 1 DNS, Roelof Wunderink 1 DNS). Presumably the car raced by Dean at the Easter Rufforth meeting, winning the libre event. Raced by Dean at Aintree 19 Apr 1975, setting a new circuit record as he won the libre race by over a lap. Crashed and written off by Wunderink Zandvoort (practice) 17 May 1975. Wreckage scrapped.
- Lola T330 [HU2] (Tom Belsø): See full history: Lola T330 HU2.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-04] (Teddy Pilette): Built for 1973 season. VDS for Teddy Pilette: raced in UK 1973 and Tasman 1974 - Roelof Wunderink: raced in UK 1974. Then via Tony Dean to Richard Simms and used in libre racing in 1975 and 1976. To John Lambert (York) 1977: used in hillclimbs in 1978 and 1979. Then via Ian Webb and Alex Seldon to Chris Townrow (Crantock, Cornwall) for sprints in Cornwall and Devon. To historic racer Richard Piper (Greenwich, London) and partner Patric Capon and raced by Piper in libre and HSCC racing in 1983 and 1984. To Dennis Humphries (Canterbury, Kent) and damaged in testing at West Malling airfield. Repaired and sold to John Harper (late 1980s/early 1990s) then via Tony Ingram (Atlanta, GA) and Lee Chapman (New Milford, CT) to Fred Gunther (Trumbull, CT). Later via Vintage Racing Services (Stratford, CT) to Alex Seiler (NY, NY) c1998. Following a restoration, it was raced in VARA events at Willow Springs and Phoenix and driven on occasion by Casey Annis, publisher of Vintage racecar Magazine. In 2000, it was sold to Stan Beck (Seattle, WA) restored again before it was sold on to Miles Jackson (Seattle, WA) in 2006.
- Lola T330 [HU17] (Ian Ashley): See full history: Lola T330 HU17.
- Chevron B24 [24-72-01] (Steve Thompson): Built for 1972 season. Works for Brian Redman: raced in UK 1972 (debut at Oulton Park 29 May 1972 - 5 races 3 wins) and US 1972 (Redman 4 races 1 win, Gethin 1 race) - Keith Holland for John Player Challenge Trophy at Brands Hatch 22 Oct - Alan Brodie for Steve Thompson: raced in Tasman 1973 and UK 1973. Badly damaged in a severe testing accident at Silverstone on 24 May when a tyre burst at Woodcote at 140 mph, and Thompson was lucky to escape with bruising. The car was written off, and Brodie acquired a brand new 1973 B24.
- McRae GM1  (Jock Russell): Built for 1972 season as a Leda LT27 and entered by Leda Cars for Trevor Taylor in the UK series until Graham McRae bought the Leda Cars operation. Rebranded as a McRae GM1 (plated "LT27 GM3") and sold to Jock Russell (Midlothian, Scotland) July 1972. Raced by Russell in the 1972 UK series (also raced by Brett Lunger at two races). Raced again by Russell in the UK series in 1973. From Russell to Noel Butler (Birmingham), then to Roy Lane 2000, and restored in Lane's orange colours. To Peter and Aaron Burson (New Zealand) Oct 2006, and raced regularly by Peter in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2007/08 onwards. More information about Leda LT27-003/McRae GM1-003
- Lola T330 [HU18] (Gijs van Lennep): See full history: Lola T330 HU18.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-03] (Bobby Brown): Built for 1973 season. Bobby Brown: raced in UK 1973 (borrowed by Gethin at Oulton 13 May) and US 1973. Brown's season was curtailed by illness and a family bereavement (the B24 was advertised in Autoweek from 25 Aug 1973 to 16 November 1974) - Bob DeNuzio (Long Island, NY, US) 1974: raced in SCCA FA races in 1976 - Phil Halbert 1976: raced in SCCA events; crashed at Willow Springs 1978 - Todd Gerstenberger (Manhattan Beach, CA) 1987: rebuilt and restored 1987-1991; used extensively in historic racing since 1992. (At one point, Gerstenberger described this car as "24-72-04".)
- Trojan T101  (Bob Evans): See full history: Trojan T101/104.
- Surtees TS8  (Ray Allen): New for Peter Revson at the 1971 Questor GP then for Alan Roillinson in UK series. To Alan Brodie 1972 and raced by Brodie and by Steve Thompson. To Servis Appliances Racing Team 1973 and raced by Ray Allan early in the season. Then possibly the Robin Darlington car in Sep 1973 Reappeared with Colin Andrews (Banbury, Oxfordshire) 1974, then to Steve Cuff (Frome, Somerset) 1975 for hillclimbs. To Alan Richards (Cheltenham) and used in sprints and occasional hill climbs in 1976 and 1977. Used in sprints and occasional hill climbs by Bob Clapham in 1978 and 1979. Then unknown until sold by Brian Redman to Dave Swigler (Panama City, FL) in 1986. Dave believes Brian got it from Richard Attwood about two years earlier. Retained until Swigler sold his collection to Harin De Silva (Palos Verdes Estates, CA) in 2009. Restored by Virtuoso Performance and first raced at Laguna Seca in August 2011. Also raced in New Zealand in the 2011/12 Tasman Revival series and at the Phillip Island Classic in March 2013.
- McRae GM1  (Alan Rollinson): See full history: McRae GM1/007.
- Trojan T101  (Keith Holland): See full history: Trojan T101/101.
- Lola T330 [HU6] (Colin Hyams): New to Australian Colin Hyams who raced it in the UK series in early 1973. To Trevor Twaites June 1973, and raced by him in the UK series in 1973, 1974 and 1975. Later to John Jordan (UK), who entered it for Tom Belso in 1977, and raced it himself in libre in 1978. Entered by Jordan for Dave Williams in libre racing 1983, and then for Tony Trimmer in the BRSCC Libre Championship from 1984 to 1989, winning the championship in 1986 and finishing second in 1987 and in 1988. At some point between 1985 and 1988, the T330 was dismantled and parts used by Dave Finnigan (Biggleswade, UK) to construct T332 "HU42" for Jordan's team. The original HU6 chassis remained with Finnigan until early 2000 when sold to Richard Lines (UK), then to Kevan McLurg (UK) 2005 and built into a complete car by McLurg and then by John Crawford's Motorsport Solutions NZ Ltd by July 2009. Owned by this time by Lindsay Willis of Wilco Racing (Rotorua, NZ), and raced by his son Brett Willis (Rotorua, NZ) in the F5000 Tasman Revival series every season from 2010/11 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T330 HU6
- McLaren M10A/B [300-16] (John Bowtell): See full history: McLaren M10A 300-16.
- McRae GM1  (Graham McRae): See full history: McRae GM1/005.
- March 73A  (John Gunn): Built for 1973 season (white). John Gunn: raced in US 1973, US 1974 (last race September 1974) - Les Hudelson mid-1974: raced by John Cannon US for the two Californian races in October 1974. Car then "put away"; retained by Hudelson in storage for nearly 20 years - Greg Wold (Maple Grove, MN) about 1993: restored to 1973 specification over next six years; raced in the SVRA series 2002. To Nick Smith (San Diego, CA) Feb 2007. To Roger Williams (New Zealand) Jan 2010. To Clark Proctor (Auckland, New Zealand) later in 2010 and raced in the Tasman Revival series in 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2014/15.
- Surtees TS8B ["014"] (John Campbell): New to John Campbell for 1973, and after a couple of early-season libre races he only appeared at one F5000 race where he failed to start. Sold to Nick Overall (Midhurst, West Sussex) for libre racing in 1974 but crashed at Copse corner at Silverstone. Rebuilt and sold to Alan Shaw (Monmouth) for sprints and libre but rarely seen. Then to Jim West who ran it in sprints and hill climbs in 1976. To Ian Higgins (Boston, Lincolnshire) 1986 and then to Rick Hall of Hall & Fowler (Folkingham, Lincolnshire) 1989 and raced in HSCC events in 1990 and 1991. Sold to Mike Whatley (Holmfirth, West Yorkshire) about 1992 for historic racing. Mike still owned the car in July 2013 though it was then based in New Zealand where he had raced it for the previous four seasons. Sold in December 2016 to Jolyon Harrison (York).
- Lola T142 [SL142/35] (TBA): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/35.
- Trojan T101  (TBA): See full history: Trojan T101/103.
- Lola T330 [HU16] (Guy Edwards): See full history: Lola T330 HU16.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help in any way with our research.