Rothmans F5000 Championship round
Mallory Park, 14 Jul 1974
|1||Bob Evans||Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#9 (see note 1)
|2||Peter Gethin||Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#8 (see note 2)
|3||Ian Ashley||Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet RES V8
#12 (see note 3)
|4||Tom Belsø||Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#6 (see note 4)
|5||Vern Schuppan||Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#65 Sid Taylor (see note 5)
|6||Teddy Pilette||Chevron B28 [28-74-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#1 (see note 6)
|7||Lella Lombardi||Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8
#208 (see note 7)
|8||Chris Craft||Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#16 (see note 8)
|9||Brian McGuire||Lola T332 [HU40] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#42 (see note 9)
|10||Clive Santo||Lola T330 [HU21] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#69 (see note 10)
|11||Mike Wilds||March 74A  - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8
#33 (see note 11)
|12||Brian Robinson||McLaren M19C  - Chevrolet Morand V8
|13||Patrick Sumner||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#35 (see note 12)
|14||Allan Kayes||McLaren M14A [2-2] - Chevrolet Smith V8
|15||Nick Wattiez||Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#34 (see note 13)
|16||Tony Dean||Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#2 (see note 14)
|collision with Wilds|
|17||Keith Holland||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#5 (see note 15)
|18||Roelof Wunderink||Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#43 (see note 16)
|19||David Morgan||Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Falconer & Dunn V8
#14 (see note 17)
|6||collision with Andrews|
|20||Colin Andrews||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
#38 (see note 18)
|6||collision with Morgan|
|DNQ||Martin Birrane||Brabham BT43  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#15 (see note 19)
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Willie Wood||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet V8
#45 (see note 20)
|Did not qualify|
|DNQ||Leen Verhoeven||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#66 (see note 21)
|Did not qualify|
|T||Tony Dean||Chevron B24 [24-73-08] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#2 (see note 22)
|(Only used in practice)|
|DNA||Guy Edwards||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#5 (see note 23)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||David Morgan||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Falconer & Dunn V8||0.41.2|
|2||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [28-74-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.41.4|
|3||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.41.6|
|4||Bob Evans||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.41.6|
|5||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.41.6|
|6||Ian Ashley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet RES V8||0.41.6|
|7||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.42.0|
|8||Tom Belsø||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.42.0|
|9||Roelof Wunderink||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.42.0|
|10||Lella Lombardi||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8||0.42.4|
|11||Mike Wilds||(F5000) 5-litre March 74A  - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8||0.42.4|
|12||Tony Dean||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.42.6|
|13||Chris Craft||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.42.6|
|14||Brian McGuire||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU40] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.43.0|
|15||Patrick Sumner||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.43.4|
|16||Clive Santo||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU21] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.44.0|
|17||Nick Wattiez||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.44.2|
|18||Brian Robinson||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M19C  - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.44.6|
|19||Colin Andrews||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||0.47.2|
|20||Allan Kayes||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M14A [2-2] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.48.0|
|-||Martin Birrane *||(F5000) 5-litre Brabham BT43  - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.48.6|
|-||Leen Verhoeven *||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.49.2|
|-||Willie Wood *||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet V8||0.49.6|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU36] (Bob Evans): See full history: Lola T332 HU36.
- Chevron B28 [28-74-02] (Peter Gethin): See full history: Chevron B28 74-02.
- Lola T330 [HU17] (Ian Ashley): See full history: Lola T330 HU17.
- Lola T330 [HU2] (Tom Belsø): See full history: Lola T330 HU2.
- Lola T332 [HU37] (Vern Schuppan): See full history: Lola T332 HU37.
- Chevron B28 [28-74-01] (Teddy Pilette): See full history: Chevron B28 74-01.
- Lola T330 [HU18] (Lella Lombardi): See full history: Lola T330 HU18.
- Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] (Chris Craft): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- Lola T332 [HU40] (Brian McGuire): See full history: Lola T332 HU40.
- Lola T330 [HU21] (Clive Santo): See full history: Lola T330 HU21.
- March 74A  (Mike Wilds): Dempster Developments UK 1974: for Mike Wilds at R1 (second), then retubbed for R2 (second). Tested by Taylor prior to R3 Silvestone 6 Apr. For Wilds at R3 (sixth) then replaced by newer 74A/2 and returned to Bicester. Probably for Wilds again after destruction of 74A/2: three or four races (R10, R11, R13?, R14). To Mick Hill UK 1975 - Bill Blackledge (then based in Jamaica) 1976 and then via John Gunn Feb 1977 to Tom Jones: raced in Can-Am 1977 (2 races), SCCA FA 1978, Can-Am 1979 (2 DNS), Can-Am 1980 (1 DNS); retained 2010.
- Trojan T101  (Patrick Sumner): See full history: Trojan T101/104.
- Lola T330 [HU16] (Nick Wattiez): See full history: Lola T330 HU16.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-01] (Tony Dean): Built for 1973 season. Tony Dean: raced in UK 1973, US 1973, UK 1974 (crashed at R1 - Dean then buys B24-73-08), also used to settle a bet at the BARC Harewood hill climb 4 Aug 1974; UK 1975 (driven by Dean 3 races, Alain Peltier 1 DNS, Roelof Wunderink 1 DNS). Presumably the car raced by Dean at the Easter Rufforth meeting, winning the libre event. Raced by Dean at Aintree 19 Apr 1975, setting a new circuit record as he won the libre race by over a lap. Crashed and written off by Wunderink Zandvoort (practice) 17 May 1975. Wreckage scrapped.
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Keith Holland): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-04] (Roelof Wunderink): Built for 1973 season. VDS for Teddy Pilette: raced in UK 1973 and Tasman 1974 - Roelof Wunderink: raced in UK 1974. Then via Tony Dean to Richard Simms and used in libre racing in 1975 and 1976. To John Lambert (York) 1977: used in hillclimbs in 1978 and 1979. Then via Ian Webb and Alex Seldon to Chris Townrow (Crantock, Cornwall) for sprints in Cornwall and Devon. To historic racer Richard Piper (Greenwich, London) and partner Patric Capon and raced by Piper in libre and HSCC racing in 1983 and 1984. To Dennis Humphries (Canterbury, Kent) and damaged in testing at West Malling airfield. Repaired and sold to John Harper (late 1980s/early 1990s) then via Tony Ingram (Atlanta, GA) and Lee Chapman (New Milford, CT) to Fred Gunther (Trumbull, CT). Later via Vintage Racing Services (Stratford, CT) to Alex Seiler (NY, NY) c1998. Following a restoration, it was raced in VARA events at Willow Springs and Phoenix and driven on occasion by Casey Annis, publisher of Vintage racecar Magazine. In 2000, it was sold to Stan Beck (Seattle, WA) restored again before it was sold on to Miles Jackson (Seattle, WA) in 2006.
- Lola T330 [HU15] (David Morgan): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- Surtees TS8  (Colin Andrews): New for Peter Revson at the 1971 Questor GP then for Alan Roillinson in UK series. To Alan Brodie 1972 and raced by Brodie and by Steve Thompson. To Servis Appliances Racing Team 1973 and raced by Ray Allan early in the season. Then possibly the Robin Darlington car in Sep 1973 Reappeared with Colin Andrews (Banbury, Oxfordshire) 1974, then to Steve Cuff (Frome, Somerset) 1975 for hillclimbs. To Alan Richards (Cheltenham) and used in sprints and occasional hill climbs in 1976 and 1977. Used in sprints and occasional hill climbs by Bob Clapham in 1978 and 1979. Then unknown until sold by Brian Redman to Dave Swigler (Panama City, FL) in 1986. Dave believes Brian got it from Richard Attwood about two years earlier. Retained until Swigler sold his collection to Harin De Silva (Palos Verdes Estates, CA) in 2009. Restored by Virtuoso Performance and first raced at Laguna Seca in August 2011. Also raced in New Zealand in the 2011/12 Tasman Revival series and at the Phillip Island Classic in March 2013.
- Brabham BT43  (Martin Birrane): Brabham BT43/1 race history.
- Trojan T101  (Willie Wood): See full history: Trojan T101/101.
- Trojan T101  (Leen Verhoeven): See full history: Trojan T101/102.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-08] (Tony Dean): See full history: Chevron B24 'B24-73-08'.
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Guy Edwards): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.