Rothmans F5000 Championship round
Monza, 30 Jun 1974
|1||Peter Gethin||Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#8 (see note 1)
|40||1h 05m 57.8s
|2||Teddy Pilette||Chevron B28 [28-74-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#1 (see note 2)
|40||1h 06m 33.3s
|3||Bob Evans||Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#9 (see note 3)
|40||1h 07m 35.8s
|4||Lella Lombardi||Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8
#208 (see note 4)
|40||1h 08m 41.5s
|5||David Hobbs||Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Falconer & Dunn V8
#14 (see note 5)
|6||Vern Schuppan||Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#65 Sid Taylor (see note 6)
|7||Guy Edwards||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#5 (see note 7)
|8||Clive Santo||Lola T330 [HU21] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#69 (see note 8)
|9||Brian McGuire||Lola T332 [HU40] - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 9)
|10||Willie Wood||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 10)
|11||Ian Ashley||Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet RES V8
#12 (see note 11)
|12||Tony Trimmer||McLaren M19A  - Chevrolet V8
|13||Trevor Twaites||Lola T330 [HU6] - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8
(see note 12)
|14||Chris Craft||Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#16 (see note 13)
|15||Martin Birrane||Brabham BT43  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#15 (see note 14)
|16||Mike Wilds||March 74A  - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8
#33 (see note 15)
|17||Roelof Wunderink||Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#43 (see note 16)
|18||Patrick Sumner||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#35 (see note 17)
|6||cracked cylinder heads|
|DNS||Brian Robinson||McLaren M19C  - Chevrolet Morand V8
|Did not start|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 39.43s|
|2||Roelof Wunderink||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 39.93s|
|3||Chris Craft||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 42.19s|
|4||Bob Evans||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 42.21s|
|5||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Falconer & Dunn V8||1m 42.61s|
|6||Lella Lombardi||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8||1m 42.69s|
|7||Brian McGuire||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU40] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 43.10s|
|8||Mike Wilds||(F5000) 5-litre March 74A  - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8||1m 46.34s|
|9||Guy Edwards||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 47.74s|
|10||Brian Robinson *||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M19C  - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 48.83s|
|11||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 49.73s|
|12||Ian Ashley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet RES V8||1m 49.54s|
|13||Patrick Sumner||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 50.41s|
|14||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [28-74-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1m 51.34s|
|15||Martin Birrane||(F5000) 5-litre Brabham BT43  - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 53.82s|
|16||Trevor Twaites||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU6] - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8||1m 54.87s|
|17||Clive Santo||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU21] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1m 58.60s|
|18||Willie Wood||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet V8||2m 01.59s|
|19||Tony Trimmer||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M19A  - Chevrolet V8||2m 04.12s|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B28 [28-74-02] (Peter Gethin): See full history: Chevron B28 74-02.
- Chevron B28 [28-74-01] (Teddy Pilette): See full history: Chevron B28 74-01.
- Lola T332 [HU36] (Bob Evans): See full history: Lola T332 HU36.
- Lola T330 [HU18] (Lella Lombardi): See full history: Lola T330 HU18.
- Lola T330 [HU15] (David Hobbs): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- Lola T332 [HU37] (Vern Schuppan): See full history: Lola T332 HU37.
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Guy Edwards): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
- Lola T330 [HU21] (Clive Santo): See full history: Lola T330 HU21.
- Lola T332 [HU40] (Brian McGuire): See full history: Lola T332 HU40.
- Trojan T101  (Willie Wood): See full history: Trojan T101/101.
- Lola T330 [HU17] (Ian Ashley): See full history: Lola T330 HU17.
- Lola T330 [HU6] (Trevor Twaites): New to Australian Colin Hyams who raced it in the UK series in early 1973. To Trevor Twaites June 1973, and raced by him in the UK series in 1973, 1974 and 1975. Later to John Jordan (UK), who entered it for Tom Belso in 1977, and raced it himself in libre in 1978. Entered by Jordan for Dave Williams in libre racing 1983, and then for Tony Trimmer in the BRSCC Libre Championship from 1984 to 1989, winning the championship in 1986 and finishing second in 1987 and in 1988. At some point between 1985 and 1988, the T330 was dismantled and parts used by Dave Finnigan (Biggleswade, UK) to construct T332 "HU42" for Jordan's team. The original HU6 chassis remained with Finnigan until early 2000 when sold to Richard Lines (UK), then to Kevan McLurg (UK) 2005 and built into a complete car by McLurg and then by John Crawford's Motorsport Solutions NZ Ltd by July 2009. Owned by this time by Lindsay Willis of Wilco Racing (Rotorua, NZ), and raced by his son Brett Willis (Rotorua, NZ) in the F5000 Tasman Revival series every season from 2010/11 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T330 HU6
- Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] (Chris Craft): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- Brabham BT43  (Martin Birrane): Brabham BT43/1 race history.
- March 74A  (Mike Wilds): Dempster Developments UK 1974: for Mike Wilds at R1 (second), then retubbed for R2 (second). Tested by Taylor prior to R3 Silvestone 6 Apr. For Wilds at R3 (sixth) then replaced by newer 74A/2 and returned to Bicester. Probably for Wilds again after destruction of 74A/2: three or four races (R10, R11, R13?, R14). To Mick Hill UK 1975 - Bill Blackledge (then based in Jamaica) 1976 and then via John Gunn Feb 1977 to Tom Jones: raced in Can-Am 1977 (2 races), SCCA FA 1978, Can-Am 1979 (2 DNS), Can-Am 1980 (1 DNS); retained 2010.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-04] (Roelof Wunderink): Built for 1973 season. VDS for Teddy Pilette: raced in UK 1973 and Tasman 1974 - Roelof Wunderink: raced in UK 1974. Then via Tony Dean to Richard Simms and used in libre racing in 1975 and 1976. To John Lambert (York) 1977: used in hillclimbs in 1978 and 1979. Then via Ian Webb and Alex Seldon to Chris Townrow (Crantock, Cornwall) for sprints in Cornwall and Devon. To historic racer Richard Piper (Greenwich, London) and partner Patric Capon and raced by Piper in libre and HSCC racing in 1983 and 1984. To Dennis Humphries (Canterbury, Kent) and damaged in testing at West Malling airfield. Repaired and sold to John Harper (late 1980s/early 1990s) then via Tony Ingram (Atlanta, GA) and Lee Chapman (New Milford, CT) to Fred Gunther (Trumbull, CT). Later via Vintage Racing Services (Stratford, CT) to Alex Seiler (NY, NY) c1998. Following a restoration, it was raced in VARA events at Willow Springs and Phoenix and driven on occasion by Casey Annis, publisher of Vintage racecar Magazine. In 2000, it was sold to Stan Beck (Seattle, WA) restored again before it was sold on to Miles Jackson (Seattle, WA) in 2006.
- Trojan T101  (Patrick Sumner): See full history: Trojan T101/104.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
Individual sources for this event
These results were corrected and updated using Autosprint's race report on 24 Oct 2020.