L&M F5000 Championship Race
Pocono (road course), 3 Sep 1973
|1||Brian Redman||Lola T330 [HU14] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#65 (see note 1)
|2||Brett Lunger||Lola T330 [HU12-2] - Chevrolet Traco V8
(see note 2)
|3||Jody Scheckter||Lola T330 [HU24] - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 3)
|4||Tony Adamowicz||Lola T330 [HU7] - Chevrolet Woods V8
[Roy Woods Racing] (see note 4)
|5||Eppie Wietzes||Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet Bartz V8
(see note 5)
|6||Mark Donohue||Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8
(see note 6)
|7||David Hobbs||Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Morand V8
(see note 7)
|8||Evan Noyes||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
(see note 8)
|9||Peter Gethin||Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 9)
|10||Horst Kroll||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet CRM V8
|11||Thomas C. Jones||McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 10)
|12||Howie Fairbanks||McLaren M10A/B [300-07] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 11)
|13||Warren Flickinger||Lola T300 [HU14] - Chevrolet Bartz V8
(see note 12)
|14||Bob Lazier||Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 13)
|15||Steve Pieper||Lola T300 [HU7] - Chevrolet CRM V8
|16||Gus Hutchison||March 73A  - Chevrolet HRE V8
(see note 14)
|17||Jon Woodner||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 15)
|18||John Gunn||March 73A  - Chevrolet Crane V8
(see note 16)
|19||Gerard Raney||Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8
|20||Syd Demovsky||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 17)
|21||Gordon Meffert||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 18)
|5||spun off course|
|22||Gene Stanton||Crosslé 15F [C15F/68/40] - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Steve Durst||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 19)
|Did not start
(engine blew out oil)
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Brian Redman||31||28m 53.731s||115.87 mph|
|1||Tony Adamowicz||31||29m 8.176s||114.91 mph|
|8||Thomas C. Jones|
|1||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU14] - Chevrolet Smith V8||54.015|
|2||Jody Scheckter||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU24] - Chevrolet Smith V8||54.832|
|3||Brett Lunger||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU12-2] - Chevrolet Traco V8||55.041|
|4||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Morand V8||55.359|
|5||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet Smith V8||55.505|
|6||Tony Adamowicz||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU7] - Chevrolet Woods V8||55.516|
|7||Gus Hutchison||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet HRE V8||55.648|
|8||Mark Donohue||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8||55.818|
|9||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet Bartz V8||56.062|
|10||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet Crane V8||56.385|
|11||Evan Noyes||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||56.386|
|12||Jon Woodner||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||56.412|
|13||Steve Pieper||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU7] - Chevrolet CRM V8||56.528|
|14||Bob Lazier||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8||56.609|
|15||Steve Durst *||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||57.068|
|16||Syd Demovsky||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||58.672|
|17||Gerard Raney||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle Mk 5 - Chevrolet V8||58.896|
|18||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet CRM V8||59.333|
|19||Gordon Meffert||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||1:00.147|
|20||Warren Flickinger||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU14] - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1:00.698|
|21||Thomas C. Jones||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8||1:02.800|
|22||Howie Fairbanks||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A/B [300-07] - Chevrolet V8||1:02.902|
|23||Gene Stanton||(F5000) 5-litre Crosslé 15F [C15F/68/40] - Chevrolet V8||1:09.803|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T330 [HU14] (Brian Redman): See full history: Lola T330 HU14.
- Lola T330 [HU12-2] (Brett Lunger): See full history: Lola T330 HU12.
- Lola T330 [HU24] (Jody Scheckter): See full history: Lola T330 HU24.
- Lola T330 [HU7] (Tony Adamowicz): See full history: Lola T330 HU7.
- Lola T330 [HU11] (Eppie Wietzes): See full history: Lola T330 HU11.
- Lola T330 [HU19] (Mark Donohue): See full history: Lola T330 HU19.
- Lola T330 [HU15] (David Hobbs): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- McRae GM1  (Evan Noyes): Built as Leda LT27-002 for the 1972 season. To Evan Noyes (Cedarville, MI) and raced in UK and US series in 1972, then Tasman 1973, then US series 1973. Via Roy Campbell, "Race Car Drivers Institute" and a bankrupcy auction to Jim Sechser (St Louis Park, MN) by 1975, and used in SCCA racing and a single Pro race in 1976 and 1977. Crashed heavily in 1977, but rebuilt and raced again in 1979. To Fred Schilpin (St Cloud, MN) 1979 or later, and used in minor racing; then retained until 1996. To Roger Williams (Auckland, New Zealand) 1996. Raced by Williams in Australian historic racing from 2001 onwards, and in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2003 to 2006. To Alastair Russell (Auckland, New Zealand) and raced in Tasman Revival series from 2006 onwards. More information about Leda LT27-002/McRae GM1-002
- Chevron B24 [24-73-02] (Peter Gethin): New for 1973 season. Doug Shierson for Peter Gethin: raced in UK 1973 (won Race of Champions) and US 1973. To Roger Bighouse (Eastlake, OH): raced in US 1974 (7 races); US 1975 (4 races + 1 DNS) - Pat McGonegle (Cincinnati, OH): raced in US 1976 (1 race) and Can-Am 1977 (4 races + 1 DNS); probably the car entered by McGonegle as 'Mannix MX-2' in Can-Am 1978; advertised April 1979 - Danny Johnson (Kewanee, IL) 1979: raced in Can-Am 1979 (1 race), Can-Am 1981 (5 races), Can-Am 1982 (6 races) - Brian R Taylor (now Clive, Iowa) for Mike Engstrand (Des Moines, Iowa): raced in Can-Am 1985 (3 races) - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) - Anthony Taylor (Blackburn, UK) 2001: due to be rebuilt and raced in FORCE Historic F5000 series (UK) 2001. Then unknown until owned by Greg Thornton in 2011 and raced in UK and New Zealand 2011/12. Badly damaged in a fire at Thornton's garage in June 2012 but completely reconstructed.
- McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] (Thomas C. Jones): Bought by Tom Jones in the autumn of 1972 from Fred Opert as a kit, and built up by Jones and his father. Raced in the US series in 1973 and 1974. Sold to the father of Vic Todia (Parma Heights, OH) who raced in SCCA and 'Pro' events in 1976 and then SCCA events in 1977 and 1978. Acquired by Len Arnold (Greeley, Colorado) 1989, who restored the car and sold it to McLaren collector Harry Mathews in November 1990. Sold to Kiwi Tony Roberts (Auckland, New Zealand) to race in the 2007/08 F5000 Tasman Revival series. Sold to Tim Rush (Feilding, NZ), and raced in the 2009/10 Revival series. Later damaged at Hampton Downs in January 2015. More information about McLaren M22 M22-3-72
- McLaren M10A/B [300-07] (Howie Fairbanks): See full history: McLaren M10A 300-07.
- Lola T300 [HU14] (Warren Flickinger): Invoice date 8 Mar 1972 (sold to 'Haas', colour 'White'). New to Warren Flickinger and raced in the US series in 1972 (7 races, debut R1 Laguna Seca 7 May 1972) and in 1973. Advertised by Chuck Jones Racing (Costa Mesa, CA) in Formula Magazine (Vol 1 No 6, Mar/Apr 1974) and sold to Floyd Sable (Anaheim, CA) for SCCA National and Regional racing in 1974 and 1975. The original T300 bodywork was lost in a fire during this time, so Sable fitted T332 bodywork. Sold to Terry Hinesly (Prospect, Oregon) and raced for another two years. Then to Dana Leung (Vancouver, BC, Canada) in 1978 who ran it at Sears Point and Riverside, wrecking an engine, and then in an SCCA Regional at Portland, where he crashed it. The car passed into the ownership of mechanic Bob Hume but, before it could be repaired, it was stolen and stripped. Bob recovered the tub and retained the engine, but little more. It due course, he sold the tub to a New Zealand mechanic/driver called Peter who worked for Pierre Phillips. Nothing more known.
- Lola T330 [HU20] (Bob Lazier): See full history: Lola T330 HU20.
- March 73A  (Gus Hutchison): See full history: March 73A/1.
- McRae GM1  (Jon Woodner): New to Cuddy Racing for Jon Woodner to race in the 1973 US series. Advertised in Autoweek 22 Dec 1973 by Carroll Smith, Bill Cuddy and Woodner. Subsequent history unknown but a tub with chassis plate 008 plus bodywork and wings acquired from Graham McRae by Dan Furey (Columbus, OH), built up and and raced by Furey in historics from 1994 to 1997. Sold in 2004 to Paul Hoey (Olympia, WA) who believed it may have been the Josef Scott car, not the Woodner car. Sold to Jay Esterer (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) July 2008, and raced in F5000 Tasman Revival series in New Zealand in January 2009. Sold February 2009 to Peter Burson (Auckland, New Zealand), also the owner of 003, and raced regularly by Aaron Burson (Auckland, New Zealand) in the F5000 Tasman Revival series almost every season from 2009/10 to 2017/18. More information about McRae GM1-008
- March 73A  (John Gunn): Built for 1973 season (white). John Gunn: raced in US 1973, US 1974 (last race September 1974) - Les Hudelson mid-1974: raced by John Cannon US for the two Californian races in October 1974. Car then "put away"; retained by Hudelson in storage for nearly 20 years - Greg Wold (Maple Grove, MN) about 1993: restored to 1973 specification over next six years; raced in the SVRA series 2002. To Nick Smith (San Diego, CA) Feb 2007. To Roger Williams (New Zealand) Jan 2010. To Clark Proctor (Auckland, New Zealand) later in 2010 and raced in the Tasman Revival series in 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2014/15.
- Surtees TS8  (Syd Demovsky): New for Bob Griffin's Corsair Racing Team (San Antonio, TX) June 1971 for Clive Baker to race in the US series (from Edmonton 1 Aug 1971). The TS8 was retained for Baker for 1972 as teammate to Ron Grable in a new TS11, but the team did not reappear after Grable crashed his TS11 at Edmonton on 4 Jun 1972 and went bust at some point during the year. Both cars were sold to Gus Hutchison (Dallas, TX), and the TS8 was entered by Hutchison's HRE (Dallas, TX) for Syd Demovsky (Chicago, IL) throughout the 1973 US series, with a best finish of ninth in the final race. The TS8 was advertised by Hutchison in Autoweek 22 Sep 1973 and later 7 Dec 1974 as "ready to race". Also in the advert was a TS11 which was said to have a new tub and a further new spare tub. Subsequent history unknown.
- McRae GM1  (Gordon Meffert): See full history: McRae GM1/006.
- Trojan T101  (Steve Durst): See full history: Trojan T101/103.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.