SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round
Road America, 27 Jul 1975
|1||Mario Andretti||Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8
#5 Vels Parnelli Jones, Torrance, Calif.
(see note 1)
|2||Jackie Oliver||Shadow DN6 [2A] - Chevrolet V8
#0 Phoenix Racing Organisation, Elk Grove Village, IL
|3||Eppie Wietzes||Lola T400M [HU9] - Chevrolet V8
#94 Formula Racing, Toronto, Can.
(see note 2)
|4||BJ Swanson||Lola T332 [HU42] - Chevrolet V8
#42 Bay Racing, Elkhart, Ind. (see note 3)
|5||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||Lola T332 [HU48] - Chevrolet V8
#33 Francisco Mir Racing, Santa Monica, Calif.
(see note 4)
|6||Al Unser||Lola T332 [HU35-2] - Chevrolet V8
#51 Vels Parnelli Jones, Torrance, Calif.
(see note 5)
|7||Graham McRae||Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
#6 Eddie Lewis Racing, Laguna Niguel, Calif.
(see note 6)
|8||Brian Redman||Lola T332 [HU45] - Chevrolet V8
#1 Carl A. Haas Racing Team Ltd, Highland Park, Ill.
(see note 7)
|9||Warwick Brown||Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
#4 McCormack Racing/Pat Burke Racing
|10||David Hobbs||Lola T332 [HU30] - Chevrolet V8
#10 Hogan Racing Ltd., St Louis, Mo.
(see note 8)
|11||Tony Dean||Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet V8
#7 A. G. Dean (see note 9)
|23||retired - unknown|
|12||David E. 'Tuck' Thomas||Lola T332 [HU38 (B)] - Chevrolet V8
#88 Lancer Stores Inc.
|13||Horst Kroll||March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8
#37 Horst Kroll (see note 10)
|14||Evan Noyes||Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8
#24 Evan Noyes (see note 11)
|22||retired - unknown|
|15||Jim Gustafson||March 73A [4-2] - Chevrolet V8
#82 Jim Gustafson Racing Ent., Costa Mesa, Calif.
(see note 12)
|20||retired - unknown|
|16||Arlon J. Koops||Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8
#85 Solazure IV Ltd. Racing (see note 13)
|17||John Cannon||March 73A  - Chevrolet V8
#9 Anglo American Racing, Los Angeles, CA
|18||Dick Kantrud||Lola T300 [HU7] - Chevrolet V8
#43 Gordon Oftedahl, Osseo, Minn.
|17||retired - unknown|
|19||Jon Woodner||Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
#91 Interscope Racing
|20||Bob Nagel||Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8
#75 Nagel Racing, Library, Pa (see note 14)
|21||Danny Ongais||Lola T400/T332 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8
#63 Interscope Racing (see note 15)
|11||retired - unknown|
|22||Bert Kuehne||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#87 Horst Kroll
|8||retired - unknown|
|23||John Gunn||Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8
#39 John Gunn Racing Consc (see note 16)
|24||Mark Alderson||Rassey 74 - Chevrolet V8
#61 Edward Rassey, Warren, Mich.
(see note 17)
|5||retired - unknown|
|25||Gordon Johncock||Lola T332 [HU44] - Chevrolet V8
#20 Patrick Racing Inc., Indianapolis, Ind.
(see note 18)
|26||Bill Baker||Lola T332 [HU41] - Chevrolet V8
#55 Barbara Baker, Pismo Beach, Calif.
(see note 19)
|2||retired - unknown|
|27||John Benton||Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
#22 Formula Magazine, Sanata Ana, Calif.
(see note 20)
|1||retired - unknown|
|DNSF||Vern Schuppan||Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8
#48 Earl M. Jorgensen Co., Lynwood, Calif.
|Did not start final|
|DNSF||Dan Gardner||Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet V8
#76 Dan Gardner (see note 21)
|Did not start final|
|DNS||Fred Stout||Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8
#53 J. Bland McCoy, High Ridge, Mo.
|Did not start|
|DNS||Steve Durst||Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8
#96 Michael Brockman, Cherry Hill, NJ
(see note 22)
|Did not start|
|T||Jackie Oliver||Shadow DN6 [1A] - Chevrolet V8
#00 Phoenix Racing Organisation, Elk Grove Village, IL
(see note 23)
|(Only used in practice)|
|UNKE||Gary Wilson||Lola T332 [HU52] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Sting Racing Team (see note 24)
|On entry list|
|UNKE||Joseph Schultz||Lola T300 - Chevrolet V8
#40 Larry Lee, Buena Park, Calif
|On entry list|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Mario Andretti||15||31:31.9||114.171 mph|
|6||David E. 'Tuck' Thomas||15|
|10||Graham McRae||10||retired - unknown|
|11||Evan Noyes||6||retired - unknown|
|12||Mark Alderson||3||retired - unknown|
|13||Tony Dean||1||retired - unknown|
|Bob Nagel||Did not start|
|Steve Durst||Did not start|
|Fred Stout||Did not start|
|1||Jackie Oliver||15||31:49.6||113.113 mph|
|10||Brian Redman||10||rear suspension|
|11||Dan Gardner||6||retired - unknown|
|12||Bill Baker||6||retired - unknown|
|13||Al Unser||5||rocker arm|
|15||Arlon J. Koops||1||retired - unknown|
|1||Mario Andretti||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8||2:04.467||2:03.639||2:02.077|
|2||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU45] - Chevrolet V8||2:04.285||2:04.132||2:02.338|
|3||BJ Swanson||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU42] - Chevrolet V8||2:04.346||2 :04.610||2:03.476|
|4||Jackie Oliver(T)||(F5000) 5-litre Shadow DN6 [1A] - Chevrolet V8||2:04.805||2:04.088|
|5||Jackie Oliver||(F5000) 5-litre Shadow DN6 [2A] - Chevrolet V8||2:04.474||2:04.950||2:04.232|
|6||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU30] - Chevrolet V8||2:14.470||2:06.897||2:05.515|
|7||Al Unser||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU35-2] - Chevrolet V8||2:07.108||2:10.457||2:05.543|
|8||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400M [HU9] - Chevrolet V8||2:08.059||2:05.557||2:06.338|
|9||Elliot Forbes-Robinson||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU48] - Chevrolet V8||2:07.580||2:05.842||2:05.752|
|10||Warwick Brown||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8||2:07.440||2:07.743||2:06.053|
|11||Jon Woodner||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8||2:08.104||2:06.220||2:07.267|
|12||Graham McRae||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8||2:07.377||2:06.969|
|13||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8||2:11.672||2:07.649||2:07.320|
|14||Evan Noyes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8||2:08.070||2:08.931||2:08.168|
|15||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8||2:10.250||2:08.375|
|16||David E. 'Tuck' Thomas||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU38 (B)] - Chevrolet V8||2:08.431||2:09.696||2:09.490|
|17||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet V8||2:09.985||2:09.197||2:10.882|
|18||Gordon Johncock||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU44] - Chevrolet V8||2:10.273||2:10.031||2:09.298|
|19||Danny Ongais||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400/T332 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8||2:10.537||2:10.773||2:09.565|
|20||Tony Dean||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet V8||2:10.596||2:15.606|
|21||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8||2:15.420||2:11.109|
|22||Bob Nagel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8||2:16.368||2:15.943||2:12.849|
|23||John Benton||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||2:12.964||2:15.194||2:16.228|
|24||Dick Kantrud||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU7] - Chevrolet V8||2:17.734||2:19.167||2:16.188|
|25||Jim Gustafson||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A [4-2] - Chevrolet V8||2:26.484||2:19.518|
|26||Bert Kuehne||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||2:35.277||2:30.476||2:20.273|
|27||Dan Gardner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet V8||2:25.178||2:28.403||2:21.403|
|28||Mark Alderson||(F5000) 5-litre Rassey 74 - Chevrolet V8||2:26.129||2:24.497||2:21.445|
|29||Arlon J. Koops||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8||2:27.170|
|30||Fred Stout *||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS5A  - Chevrolet V8||3:45.171|
|31||Bill Baker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU41] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|32||Steve Durst *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU29] (Mario Andretti): See full history: Lola T332 HU29.
- Lola T400M [HU9] (Eppie Wietzes): New to Eppie Wietzes (Thornhill, Ontario) and raced in the SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship in 1975 and early 1976. Retained by Wietzes until 1986 and used as show car by Canadian Tyre in mid-1980's. Sold to Horst Kroll and converted to Can-Am Frissbee specification as "Frissbee KR4" for Can-Am 1986 and CAT in 1987. Retained by Kroll until sold to Glenn Richards (Auckland, New Zealand) in mid-2010. Raced by Reg Cook in the 2010/11 F5000 Tasman Revival series, and then by Richards in the series every season from 2013/14 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T400 HU9
- Lola T332 [HU42] (BJ Swanson): See full history: Lola T332 HU42.
- Lola T332 [HU48] (Elliot Forbes-Robinson): See full history: Lola T332 HU48.
- Lola T332 [HU35-2] (Al Unser): See full history: Lola T332 HU35.
- Lola T332 [HU46] (Graham McRae): See full history: Lola T332 HU46.
- Lola T332 [HU45] (Brian Redman): See full history: Lola T332 HU45.
- Lola T332 [HU30] (David Hobbs): See full history: Lola T332 HU30.
- Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] (Tony Dean): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] (Horst Kroll): See full history: March 73A/3.
- Lola T332 [HU51] (Evan Noyes): See full history: Lola T332 HU51.
- March 73A [4-2] (Jim Gustafson): See full history: March 73A/4.
- Lola T330 [HU20] (Arlon J. Koops): See full history: Lola T330 HU20.
- Lola T332 [HU33] (Bob Nagel): See full history: Lola T332 HU33.
- Lola T400/T332 [HU10] (Danny Ongais): See full history: Lola T400 HU10.
- Lola T332 [HU47] (John Gunn): See full history: Lola T332 HU47.
- Rassey 74 (Mark Alderson): First known appearance was at the Pro F5000 race at Road America in July 1975, where Mark Alderson drove. He was not slowest in practice, and improved each session to record a time 15% slower than pole position, but only marginally slower than some of the other Mid-West Division amateurs in a range of one-year-old and two-year-old Lolas. Alderson retired early in Heat 1. Mike Brockman took over the drive at Mid-Ohio a month later, but did not record a practice time and was the first retirement from Heat 1. A year later, Roger Bighouse drove the Rassey at Mid-Ohio and put in a much improved performance, qualifying 15th out of 21 in practice, but still 14% off pole, and finished both heats to be classified 15th overall. The car was not seen again but in 2003, Bruce Reimer got in touch to say he owned the car and was running it in vintage events in southern California.
- Lola T332 [HU44] (Gordon Johncock): See full history: Lola T332 HU44.
- Lola T332 [HU41] (Bill Baker): See full history: Lola T332 HU41.
- Lola T330 [HU26] (John Benton): See full history: Lola T330 HU26.
- Lola T330 [HU11] (Dan Gardner): See full history: Lola T330 HU11.
- Lola T332 [HU39] (Steve Durst): See full history: Lola T332 HU39.
- Shadow DN6 [1A] (Jackie Oliver): Built new for 1975, and raced by Jackie Oliver at the first two races of the season. Then became the spare car, and raced by Jean-Pierre Jarier at Watkins Glen. Also raced by Oliver at Riverside after DN6/2A had been damaged at Long Beach. It was then retained as Oliver's spare car for 1976, and was raced at Mid-Ohio and Road America in August. The car was retained by Don Nichols after the US team closed down, and was sold by him Michael Duncan (Los Altos, CA) in 1988. Sold by Duncan to Mike McComas (Pampa, TX), who sold it to Jim Bartel (Wixom, MI) in 1997. Bartel had it restored by RM Motorsport and it was raced by Craig Bennett (Brighton MI) at Road America in July 2005. Sold to Andrew Simpson (Houston, TX) in 2007, then via Scott Monroe (Kemah, TX) in 2008 to Jim Kelleher (Sugarland, TX) in 2009. Raced by Kelleher in vintage racing until damaged at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in June 2014. Sold back to Bartel who had it repaired by RM Motorsport and returned to competition in 2015.
- Lola T332 [HU52] (Gary Wilson): See full history: Lola T332 HU52.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.