SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round
Watkins Glen, 13 Jul 1975
|1||Brian Redman||Lola T332 [HU45] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1)
|2||Al Unser||Lola T332 [HU35-2] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 2)
|3||BJ Swanson||Lola T332 [HU42] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 3)
|4||Warwick Brown||Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
|5||Eppie Wietzes||Lola T400 [HU9] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 4)
|6||Mario Andretti||Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 5)
|7||Vern Schuppan||Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8
|8||Tony Dean||Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 6)
|28||retired - unknown|
|9||Roger Bighouse||Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 7)
|10||Evan Noyes||Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 8)
|11||Jackie Oliver||Shadow DN6 [2A] - Chevrolet V8
|12||Jean-Pierre Jarier||Shadow DN6 [1A] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 9)
|broken oil line|
|13||John Cannon||March 73A  - Chevrolet V8
||low oil pressure|
|14||Graham McRae||Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 10)
|15||David Hobbs||Lola T332 [HU30] - Chevrolet V8
[Hogan Racing] (see note 11)
|16||Danny Ongais||Lola T400 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8
||retired - unknown|
|17||John Gunn||Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 12)
|18||Dan Gardner||Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 13)
|19||Horst Kroll||March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 14)
|retired - unknown|
|20||Jerry Karl||Lola T332 [HU49] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 15)
|21||Bert Kuehne||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
||retired - unknown|
|22||Jon Woodner||Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
||retired - unknown|
|DNS||Steve Durst||Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 16)
|Did not start|
|DNS||James Dunkel||Chevron B24 [24-73-05B] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 17)
|Did not start
(badly burnt by leaking radiator hose)
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU45] - Chevrolet V8||1:39.436||1:38.316||1:40.796|
|2||Mario Andretti||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8||1:40.273||1:38.423||1:39.079|
|3||Jean-Pierre Jarier||(F5000) 5-litre Shadow DN6 [1A] - Chevrolet V8||1:40.869|
|4||BJ Swanson||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU42] - Chevrolet V8||1:43.120||1:41.603||1:40.878|
|5||Al Unser||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU35-2] - Chevrolet V8||1:42.862||1:41.286||1:41.287|
|6||Jackie Oliver||(F5000) 5-litre Shadow DN6 [2A] - Chevrolet V8||1:41.983||1:41.348||1:41.997|
|7||Warwick Brown||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8||1:44.549||1:41.388||1:42.110|
|8||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU30] - Chevrolet V8||1:43.569||1:42.025||1:41.806|
|9||Graham McRae||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8||1:45.985||1:47.563||1:42.226|
|10||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU9] - Chevrolet V8||2:03.091||1:43.014||1:45.806|
|11||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Eagle 755  - Chevrolet V8||1:47.784||1:44.048||1:47.714|
|12||John Gunn||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8||1:50.156||1:44.057||1:45.233|
|13||Tony Dean||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet V8||1:48.907||1:46.682||1:45.802|
|14||Danny Ongais||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8||1:48.714||1:46.049||1:47.199|
|15||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8||2:12.778||1:46.176|
|16||Evan Noyes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8||1:47.604||1:46.570||1:47.411|
|17||Jerry Karl||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU49] - Chevrolet V8||1:50.669||1:49.121||1:47.773|
|18||Roger Bighouse||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8||2:14.416||1:52.013||1:48.138|
|19||Steve Durst *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8||1:52.405||1:48.811||2:06.257|
|20||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet V8||2:04.792||1:49.676|
|21||Dan Gardner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet V8||2:26.591||2:18.562||2:07.456|
|22||Jon Woodner||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8|
|23||Bert Kuehne||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU45] (Brian Redman): See full history: Lola T332 HU45.
- Lola T332 [HU35-2] (Al Unser): See full history: Lola T332 HU35.
- Lola T332 [HU42] (BJ Swanson): See full history: Lola T332 HU42.
- Lola T400 [HU9] (Eppie Wietzes): New to Eppie Wietzes (Thornhill, Ontario) and raced in the SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship in 1975 and early 1976. Retained by Wietzes until 1986 and used as show car by Canadian Tyre in mid-1980's. Sold to Horst Kroll and converted to Can-Am Frissbee specification as "Frissbee KR4" for Can-Am 1986 and CAT in 1987. Retained by Kroll until sold to Glenn Richards (Auckland, New Zealand) in mid-2010. Raced by Reg Cook in the 2010/11 F5000 Tasman Revival series, and then by Richards in the series every season from 2013/14 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T400 HU9
- Lola T332 [HU29] (Mario Andretti): See full history: Lola T332 HU29.
- Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] (Tony Dean): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- Chevron B24 [24-73-02] (Roger Bighouse): New for 1973 season. Doug Shierson for Peter Gethin: raced in UK 1973 (won Race of Champions) and US 1973. To Roger Bighouse (Eastlake, OH): raced in US 1974 (7 races); US 1975 (4 races + 1 DNS) - Pat McGonegle (Cincinnati, OH): raced in US 1976 (1 race) and Can-Am 1977 (4 races + 1 DNS); probably the car entered by McGonegle as 'Mannix MX-2' in Can-Am 1978; advertised April 1979 - Danny Johnson (Kewanee, IL) 1979: raced in Can-Am 1979 (1 race), Can-Am 1981 (5 races), Can-Am 1982 (6 races) - Brian R Taylor (now Clive, Iowa) for Mike Engstrand (Des Moines, Iowa): raced in Can-Am 1985 (3 races) - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) - Anthony Taylor (Blackburn, UK) 2001: due to be rebuilt and raced in FORCE Historic F5000 series (UK) 2001. Then unknown until owned by Greg Thornton in 2011 and raced in UK and New Zealand 2011/12. Badly damaged in a fire at Thornton's garage in June 2012 but completely reconstructed.
- Lola T332 [HU51] (Evan Noyes): See full history: Lola T332 HU51.
- Shadow DN6 [1A] (Jean-Pierre Jarier): Built new for 1975, and raced by Jackie Oliver at the first two races of the season. Then became the spare car, and raced by Jean-Pierre Jarier at Watkins Glen. Also raced by Oliver at Riverside after DN6/2A had been damaged at Long Beach. It was then retained as Oliver's spare car for 1976, and was raced at Mid-Ohio and Road America in August. The car was retained by Don Nichols after the US team closed down, and was sold by him Michael Duncan (Los Altos, CA) in 1988. Sold by Duncan to Mike McComas (Pampa, TX), who sold it to Jim Bartel (Wixom, MI) in 1997. Bartel had it restored by RM Motorsport and it was raced by Craig Bennett (Brighton MI) at Road America in July 2005. Sold to Andrew Simpson (Houston, TX) in 2007, then via Scott Monroe (Kemah, TX) in 2008 to Jim Kelleher (Sugarland, TX) in 2009. Raced by Kelleher in vintage racing until damaged at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in June 2014. Sold back to Bartel who had it repaired by RM Motorsport and returned to competition in 2015.
- Lola T332 [HU46] (Graham McRae): See full history: Lola T332 HU46.
- Lola T332 [HU30] (David Hobbs): See full history: Lola T332 HU30.
- Lola T332 [HU47] (John Gunn): See full history: Lola T332 HU47.
- Lola T330 [HU11] (Dan Gardner): See full history: Lola T330 HU11.
- March 73A/741 [73A/3(B)] (Horst Kroll): See full history: March 73A/3.
- Lola T332 [HU49] (Jerry Karl): See full history: Lola T332 HU49.
- Lola T332 [HU39] (Steve Durst): See full history: Lola T332 HU39.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-05B] (James Dunkel): Built for 1974 season. James Dunkel: raced in US 1974, US 1975 (1 race + 1 DNS) - Ed Kaprowicz August 1976: raced in US 1976 (1 race), SCCA FA 1977, SCCA FA 1978 - Steve Bollinger January 1982 - Randy Reso April 1982 - Rupert Bragg-Smith December 1982: raced in Can-Am 1983 (2 races), Can-Am 1984 (2 races), Can-Am 1985 (1 race) - Jack Boxstrom December 1987 - Dick Leppla December 1992: raced at HSR Mid-Ohio July 1994 - Jack Boxstrom (again) of RM Auctions, Inc. (Canada) February 1997 - Albert Way (Oceanview, NJ) Feb 2001 - Philip Jewell (Rushcutters Bay, NSW, Australia) May 2012 - Dean Camm (Melbourne, Australia) December 2016.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.