Adelaide International Raceway, 8 Feb 1976
|1||Ken Smith||Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8
#11 La Valise Travel (see note 1)
|68||1h 14m 49.4s
|2||Vern Schuppan||Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8
#64 Theodore Racing (see note 2)
|68||1h 14m 53.4s
|3||John Leffler||Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#7 Grace Bros Race Team
|68||1h 15m 01.2s
|4||Chris Milton||McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8
#10 John Martins (see note 3)
|5||Kevin Bartlett||Lola T400 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#5 Kevin Bartlett/Shell Sport
|6||John McCormack||Elfin MR6  - Repco Holden V8
#1 Ansett Elfin Team
|7||Keith Poole||Gardos OR2 - Repco Holden V8
#21 C & C Autos
|8||Graeme Lawrence||Lola T332 [HU28] - Chevrolet V8
Singapore Airlines (see note 4)
|9||Johnnie Walker||Lola T332 [T330 HU23(B)] - Repco Holden V8
|10||Ken Shirvington||Lola T400 [HU4] - Chevrolet V8
#19 (see note 5)
|11||Jon Davison||Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8
#4 Southern Comfort Racing (see note 6)
|12||Gil Cameron||McLaren M10B [400-02] - Chevrolet V8
#39 V.Y.I.'s (see note 7)
|13||John Cannon||March 73A/751 ["75AM"] - Chevrolet V8
#9 Anglo American Racing
|R||John Goss||Matich A51  - Repco Holden V8
|R||David Purley||Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8
#3 (see note 8)
|R||Terry Hook||Lola T332 ['071-084'] - Chevrolet V8
Sharp Corporation of Aust (see note 9)
|R||Max Stewart||Lola T400 [HU3] - Chevrolet V8
#6 Sharp Corporation of Aust
|6||flat tyre/broken rear suspension|
|DNS||Baron Robertson||Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 10)
|Did not start
(Seized oil pump)
|DNS||Stephen Fraser||Cicada  - Chevrolet V8
||Did not start
|DNS||Paul Bernasconi||Lola T400 [HU3] - Chevrolet V8
#16 Sharp Corporation of Aust
|Did not start|
|T||Max Stewart||Lola T400 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8
#6 Sharp Corporation of Aust
|(Only used in practice)|
|DNP||Peter Roach||Matich A50 [001 as '002'] - Repco Holden V8
(see note 11)
|Did not take part in official practice|
|DNA||Bruce Allison||Lola T332 ['HU22-3'] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 12)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Garrie Cooper||Elfin MR8-C  - Chevrolet V8
||Did not arrive|
|DNA||Glen Nichols||Elfin MR5  - Ford V8
(see note 13)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||John Edmonds||Elfin MR5-B  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 14)
|Did not arrive|
|DNA||Ian Adams||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 15)
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Ken Smith||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8||00.49.3|
|2||Johnnie Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [T330 HU23(B)] - Repco Holden V8||00.49.7|
|3||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A/751 ["75AM"] - Chevrolet V8||00.49.7|
|4||Graeme Lawrence||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU28] - Chevrolet V8||00.49.7|
|5||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8||00.49.7|
|6||John Goss||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A51  - Repco Holden V8||00.49.8|
|7||Kevin Bartlett||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||00.50.8|
|8||Max Stewart||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU3] - Chevrolet V8||00.51.0|
|8||Max Stewart(T)||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8||00.51.0|
|9||Keith Poole||(F5000) 5-litre Gardos OR2 - Repco Holden V8||00.51.2|
|10||John Leffler||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||00.51.4|
|11||John McCormack||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR6  - Repco Holden V8||00.51.6|
|12||Terry Hook||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 ['071-084'] - Chevrolet V8||00.51.9|
|13||David Purley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8||00.52.8|
|14||Chris Milton||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] - Chevrolet V8||00.52.8|
|15||Paul Bernasconi *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU3] - Chevrolet V8||00.52.9|
|16||Ken Shirvington||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU4] - Chevrolet V8||00.53.2|
|17||Stephen Fraser *||(F5000) 5-litre Cicada  - Chevrolet V8||00.58.4|
|18||Baron Robertson *||(F5000) 5-litre Elfin MR5  - Repco Holden V8||00.58.6|
|19||Gil Cameron||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-02] - Chevrolet V8||00.59.4|
|20||Jon Davison||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8||DNP|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T330 [HU8] (Ken Smith): To Haas/Hall and developed by Jim Hall with revised bodywork, radiators and rear wing for Brian Redman in the 1973 US series. Then to Rogers Racing for Larry Harley in the 1974 US series. To Ken Smith (New Zealand) for the 1974/75 season, the New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976. To Chris Milton (South Australia) and raced in Australia from Sep 1977 to Sep 1978. To John Blanden 1978, and driven for him by Rob Butcher from 1979 to 1982. To Bib Stillwell 1988 for Australian historic racing. To Noel Robson (Melbourne, Australia) 1993, and raced in Australian historic racing for many years. More information about Lola T330 HU8
- Lola T332 [HU37] (Vern Schuppan): See full history: Lola T332 HU37.
- McLaren M18/M22 [500-01] (Chris Milton): See full history: McLaren M18 500-01.
- Lola T332 [HU28] (Graeme Lawrence): Graeme Lawrence (NZ) for Tasman 1974, New Zealand Gold Star 1974; Tasman 1975; Tasman 1976; Gold Star Oct/Nov 1976; Australian Internationals 1977 - Terry Hook (Aus) Australian Internationals 1978, Australian Internationals 1979; heavily crashed at a club event at Lakeside 21 Jun 1981. Rebuilt by March 1982 by Chas Talbot on a new tub. Sold to Bob Minogue and Pete Brennan in the mid-1980s who sold the rear end to Peter Bick to complete his ex-Davison HU34. The ex-Hook car was then built up with other parts and sold to Manuel Jimenez who in turn passed it to Murray Richards (Murrumbeena, Australia). To David Sharp (New Zealand) 1993. To Murray Sinclair (Hong Kong, and Christchurch, New Zealand) 2001, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival from 2003 to 2007. To Russell Greer (Blenheim, New Zealand) 2007, who continued to race it in the Revival series. More information about Lola T332 HU28
- Lola T400 [HU4] (Ken Shirvington): See full history: Lola T400 HU4.
- Matich A50  (Jon Davison): Bought by Johnny Walker, and fitted with the engine and transmission from his Elfin MR5. Raced by Walker in the 1972 Australian Gold Star, 1973 Australian Internationals, then to America for four races in the US series. To Jon Davison for the 1974 Australian Gold Star and 1975 Australian Internationals 1975 Australian Gold Star, 1976 Australian Internationals, 1976 Australian Gold Star, and 1977 Australian Internationals. To Bronwyn Taylor 1977 and raced in 1978 and 1979 - Geoff Munyard 1980 - leased to Kevin Leighton 1982 - Graham Stoll - Peter Brennan - Ziggy Schueller 1990 - Ken Smith (NZ) 1992 or 1993 - James Boult (NZ) 1996 - Russell Greer (NZ) 1996 - Richard Bendell (Australia) 2001 - Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW, Australia) 2004 - Philip Lewis 2013.
- McLaren M10B [400-02] (Gil Cameron): New to Niel Allen (Australia) late 1969, and raced in 1970 and 1971 Tasman series. To Kevin Bartlett for 1971 Australian Gold Star and 1972 Tasman 1972, then to US for at least one race in 1972. Then unknown until bought by Gil Cameron, and raced in Australia from 1975 to 1977. Donated parts to Tony Edmondson's Alfetta Chev sports sedan, and the remainder of the car stored at Elfin during the 1980s. Subsequent history unknown, but later owned by Llynden Riethmuller (Sydney, NSW) in 2007. After Riethmuller's death, sold to Alan Hamilton in 2011, and restored for historic racing. More information about McLaren M10B 400-2
- Lola T330 [HU17] (David Purley): See full history: Lola T330 HU17.
- Lola T332 ['071-084'] (Terry Hook): See full history: Lola T330 HU7.
- Elfin MR5  (Baron Robertson): New to Max Stewart in time for the start of the 1972 Tasman series. Also raced by Stewart in the 1972 Australian Gold Star. Entered by Stewart for John Leffler in a few raced in October/November 1973. Then sold to Baron Robertson and raced in the Tasman series in 1974 and 1975, and in the New Zealand and Australian Internationals in 1976. History then unknown until bought from David Davidson (Melbourne) by Gavin Sala. By 1994, this car was with Adrian Tweedle (Victoria). Subsequent history again unknown, but reported to be with Max Pearson by 2012.
- Matich A50 [001 as '002'] (Peter Roach): New for Frank Matich to win the 1971 Australian GP, then raced in the New Zealand Tasman rounds before being renumbered '002' for the Australian Internationals. Matich won the 1972 Australian Gold Star in this car, and raced it in the 1973 Tasman series. Then to Barry Lewis in 1975 - Peter Roach 1976 - Dave Powell 1976 - John Briggs 1978 and damaged at a hillclimb. Via K & A Engineering to Gavin Sala 1984 or 1985, then to his son Bryan Sala. More information about Matich A50-001/002
- Lola T332 ['HU22-3'] (Bruce Allison): Effectively a new Lola T332 built for Kevin Bartlett to replace the T330 crashed at Pukekohe in January 1974. Raced by Bartlett in the Australian Gold Star from August 1974 onwards. To Bruce Allison for 1975 and raced in Australian Gold Star 1975, and New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976, but crashed and heavily damaged at Oran Park 1 Feb. Rebuilt again on another T332 tub and raced by Allison later in 1976. Sold by Allison to Martin Sampson of Magnum Wheels, and raced for him by Kevin Bartlett in the 1977 Australian Internationals 1977, by Alan Jones at Surfers after he wrecked his T332C HU61, then by Johnnie Walker in September 1977, and in Australia in 1978 and 1979. Sampson retired the car after 1979, and it was displayed at the Birdwood Museum until sold to Bob Minogue in 1987. Raced for Minoque by Barry Ward in 1987, then sold to Paul Cromarty (Aus), then Adrian Whapham (NZ) in 1994 or 1995. To Stan Redmond (Christchurch, NZ) by 2001 and raced in F5000 Tasman Revival series. To Peter Sundberg (Auckland, New Zealand) 2009. To David Banks (Auckland, New Zealand) and raced by him in the 2017/18 Tasman Revival series. More information about Lola T332 'the Kevin Bartlett car'
- Elfin MR5  (Glen Nichols): New to John McCormack in September 1971, and raced in Australian Gold Star, taking two second places and a win from three races. Raced by McCormack in the 1972 Tasman series, and the 1972 Australian Gold Star, where he won one race. Then raced in the 1973 Tasman series, where he won the NZ GP and the Adelaide '100', and in the 1973 Australian Gold Star, when he won two races and the championship. Raced again in the 1974 Tasman, again winning the NZ GP. Raced by Phil Moore in the 1974 Gold Star. Sold to Glen Nichols December 1975, and entered for the Rothmans Internationals, but did not start a race. History then unknown until bought from Les Swallow by Gavin Sala, and sold to John McCormack for restoration some time before 1992.
- Elfin MR5-B  (John Edmonds): Works Elfin Sports Cars entry for Garrie Cooper in the 1972 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1973 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, the 1974 Tasman and Australian Gold Star, and the 1975 Tasman and Australian Gold Star. Rebuilt in August 1975 as the MR5-B. Sold to John Edmonds for the last race of the Australian Gold Star, then the 1976 New Zealand and Australian Internationals, the 1976 national season, and the 1977 Australian Internationals. Then to Phil Ward 1977, and then with Mike Pope from 1980 to 1986. History then unknown until bought from Geoff Munday by Gavin Sala. Sold by Sala to Ken Smith in Nnew Zealand, and reportedly with Barrie Flett in 1994. The car is said to have spent time in a museum in NZ, before being bought by Smith again, and sold back to Geoff Munday some time before 2014.
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Ian Adams): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
Rothmans series results have been collated and checked by Glenn Moulds from the widest possible range of sources: Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Car & Driver Australia, Chequered Flag, Motor Sport Reporter and Australian Competition Yearbook. Elfin material has been checked against "Australia’s Elfin Sports and Racing Cars".
Individual sources for this event
Glenn Moulds' sources include the original race program and entry list plus race reports in Racing Car News, Australian Auto Action, Chequered Flag and Australian Competition Yearbook (although they did not publish any results tables at all). In addition, the Surfers programme had a full results table of the previous rounds.