Rothmans F5000 Championship round
Zandvoort, 3 Jun 1974
|1||Peter Gethin||Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#8 (see note 1)
|2||Bob Evans||Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#9 (see note 2)
|3||Guy Edwards||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#5 (see note 3)
|4||Chris Craft||Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#16 (see note 4)
|5||Teddy Pilette||Chevron B28 [28-74-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#1 (see note 5)
|6||Roelof Wunderink||Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#43 (see note 6)
|7||Lella Lombardi||Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8
#208 (see note 7)
|8||Ian Ashley||Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8
#12 (see note 8)
|9||Leen Verhoeven||Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Falconer & Dunn V8
#14 [Hogan Racing] (see note 9)
|10||Brian Robinson||McLaren M19C  - Chevrolet Morand V8
|11||Arie Luyendijk||Chevron B24 [24-73-08] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#50 (see note 10)
|12||Boy Hayje||McLaren M18 [500-04] - Chevrolet Trimmer V8
(see note 11)
|13||Nick Wattiez||Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#34 (see note 12)
|R||Tony Dean||Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#2 (see note 13)
|Bodywork rubbing on tyres|
|R||Keith Holland||Trojan T102  - Chevrolet V8
#3 (see note 14)
|R||Patrick Sumner||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#35 (see note 15)
|Split water pipe|
|R||Tom Belsø||Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#6 (see note 16)
|R||Damien Magee||Lola T330 [HU4] - Chevrolet Eisert V8
#27 (see note 17)
|R||Brian McGuire||Lola T332 [HU40] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#42 (see note 18)
|DNS||Allan Kayes||McLaren M14A [2-2] - Chevrolet Smith V8
|Did not start|
|DNS||Vern Schuppan||Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#65 Sid Taylor (see note 19)
|Did not start|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [28-74-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1.22.8|
|2||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1.22.9|
|3||Bob Evans||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1.22.9|
|4||Ian Ashley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8||1.23.0|
|5||Vern Schuppan *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1.23.7|
|6||Chris Craft||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1.24.0|
|7||Roelof Wunderink||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1.24.3|
|8||Guy Edwards||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1.24.3|
|9||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T102  - Chevrolet V8||1.25.0|
|10||Damien Magee||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU4] - Chevrolet Eisert V8||1.25.5|
|11||Leen Verhoeven||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Falconer & Dunn V8||1.26.0|
|12||Lella Lombardi||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith-Oates V8||1.26.2|
|13||Brian McGuire||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU40] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1.26.5|
|14||Patrick Sumner||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||1.27.0|
|15||Tom Belsø||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1.27.2|
|16||Arie Luyendijk||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-08] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1.27.2|
|17||Brian Robinson||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M19C  - Chevrolet Morand V8||1.28.6|
|18||Tony Dean||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1.29.3|
|19||Boy Hayje||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 [500-04] - Chevrolet Trimmer V8||1.30.4|
|20||Nick Wattiez||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1.31.4|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Chevron B28 [28-74-02] (Peter Gethin): See full history: Chevron B28 74-02.
- Lola T332 [HU36] (Bob Evans): See full history: Lola T332 HU36.
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Guy Edwards): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
- Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] (Chris Craft): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- Chevron B28 [28-74-01] (Teddy Pilette): See full history: Chevron B28 74-01.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-04] (Roelof Wunderink): Built for 1973 season. VDS for Teddy Pilette: raced in UK 1973 and Tasman 1974 - Roelof Wunderink: raced in UK 1974. Then via Tony Dean to Richard Simms and used in libre racing in 1975 and 1976. To John Lambert (York) 1977: used in hillclimbs in 1978 and 1979. Then via Ian Webb and Alex Seldon to Chris Townrow (Crantock, Cornwall) for sprints in Cornwall and Devon. To historic racer Richard Piper (Greenwich, London) and partner Patric Capon and raced by Piper in libre and HSCC racing in 1983 and 1984. To Dennis Humphries (Canterbury, Kent) and damaged in testing at West Malling airfield. Repaired and sold to John Harper (late 1980s/early 1990s) then via Tony Ingram (Atlanta, GA) and Lee Chapman (New Milford, CT) to Fred Gunther (Trumbull, CT). Later via Vintage Racing Services (Stratford, CT) to Alex Seiler (NY, NY) c1998. Following a restoration, it was raced in VARA events at Willow Springs and Phoenix and driven on occasion by Casey Annis, publisher of Vintage racecar Magazine. In 2000, it was sold to Stan Beck (Seattle, WA) restored again before it was sold on to Miles Jackson (Seattle, WA) in 2006.
- Lola T330 [HU18] (Lella Lombardi): See full history: Lola T330 HU18.
- Lola T330 [HU17] (Ian Ashley): See full history: Lola T330 HU17.
- Lola T330 [HU15] (Leen Verhoeven): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-08] (Arie Luyendijk): See full history: Chevron B24 'B24-73-08'.
- McLaren M18 [500-04] (Boy Hayje): See full history: McLaren M18 500-04.
- Lola T330 [HU16] (Nick Wattiez): See full history: Lola T330 HU16.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-01] (Tony Dean): Built for 1973 season. Tony Dean: raced in UK 1973, US 1973, UK 1974 (crashed at R1 - Dean then buys B24-73-08), also used to settle a bet at the BARC Harewood hill climb 4 Aug 1974; UK 1975 (driven by Dean 3 races, Alain Peltier 1 DNS, Roelof Wunderink 1 DNS). Presumably the car raced by Dean at the Easter Rufforth meeting, winning the libre event. Raced by Dean at Aintree 19 Apr 1975, setting a new circuit record as he won the libre race by over a lap. Crashed and written off by Wunderink Zandvoort (practice) 17 May 1975. Wreckage scrapped.
- Trojan T102  (Keith Holland): Built in late 1973, but unsold until March 1974. To Ian Ward Racing for Keith Holland to race in UK in 1974. It proved fast in practice, but due to variety of problems failed to start its first five races. It had only started four races when Ian Ward withdrew from F5000 in late June. The team and car reappeared at the last four races of the season for Steve Thompson to drive. After that, the car was acquired by Mick Hill, who used the front suspension and the whole back end for his 1976 "VW Beetle" super saloon project. Everything he didn't use was eventually acquired by Roger Hurst (Folkestone, Kent) and he advertised this in 1984. The whole project was acquired by Tim and Tony Barry (Sittingbourne, Kent) in 1985 and has been owned by them ever since. Tim Barry raced the car in libre in 1987 and 1988, and also in HSCC racing in the 1990s. He returned to the Trojan for HSCC Derek Bell events since wrecking the brothers' March 76A in an accident in 2005, but Tim describes it as "as much of a pain in the butt as it was when new".
- Trojan T101  (Patrick Sumner): See full history: Trojan T101/104.
- Lola T330 [HU2] (Tom Belsø): See full history: Lola T330 HU2.
- Lola T330 [HU4] (Damien Magee): See full history: Lola T330 HU4.
- Lola T332 [HU40] (Brian McGuire): See full history: Lola T332 HU40.
- Lola T332 [HU37] (Vern Schuppan): See full history: Lola T332 HU37.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you can help in any way with our research.