L&M F5000 Championship Race
Watkins Glen, 17 Jun 1973
|1||Jody Scheckter||Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 1)
|2||Brian Redman||Lola T330 [HU14] - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 2)
|3||Brett Lunger||Lola T330 [HU12-2] - Chevrolet Morand V8
(see note 3)
|4||Mark Donohue||Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8
(see note 4)
|5||Eppie Wietzes||Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet Bartz V8
(see note 5)
|6||David Hobbs||Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Morand V8
(see note 6)
|7||Jon Woodner||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
(see note 7)
|8||Johnnie Walker||Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8
(see note 8)
|9||Warren Flickinger||Lola T300 [HU14] - Chevrolet Bartz V8
(see note 9)
|10||Tony Settember||McLaren M10/18 - Chevrolet V8
|11||John Gimbel||Matich A50  - Ford Boss 302 V8
|12||Tony Dean||Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8
(see note 10)
|13||Syd Demovsky||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 11)
|14||Roger Bighouse||Lola T142 [SL142/21] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 12)
|15||Kevin Bartlett||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 13)
|16||Jim Sarich||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 14)
|17||Tony Adamowicz||Lola T330 [HU7] - Chevrolet Woods V8
[Roy Woods Racing] (see note 15)
|18||Graham McRae||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 16)
|19||Bob Muir||Lola T330 [HU4] - Chevrolet Molloy V8
(see note 17)
|20||Harry Ingle||McLaren M22 [M22-2-72] - Ford V8
(see note 18)
|21||Eddie Miller||Lola T330 [HU9] - Chevrolet Bartz V8
(see note 19)
|22||Peter Gethin||Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 20)
|23||Steve Pieper||Lola T300 [HU7] - Chevrolet CRM V8
|24||Gus Hutchison||March 73A  - Chevrolet HRE V8
(see note 21)
|DNQH||Thomas C. Jones||McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 22)
|Did not qualify from heats
(11th in Heat 1)
|DNQH||Doug Barrow||Lola T300 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8
||Did not qualify from heats
(11th in Heat 2)
|DNQH||Horst Kroll||Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
||Did not qualify from heats
(12th in Heat 2)
|DNQH||Gene Stanton||Crosslé 15F [C15F/68/40] - Chevrolet V8
||Did not qualify from heats
(13th in Heat 1)
|DNS||John Gunn||March 73A  - Chevrolet Crane V8
(see note 23)
|Did not start
(packed up and went home after Friday practice)
|DNS||Vern Schuppan||Matich A51  - Repco Holden V8
||Did not start|
|DNS||Frank Matich||Matich A51  - Repco Holden V8
||Did not start|
|DNS||Gregg Young||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
(see note 24)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Michael Brockman||Lola T300 [HU1-2] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 25)
|Did not start|
|DNSC||Max Stewart||Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 26)
|Did not start (crashed)|
|T||Brian Redman||Lola T330 [HU8] - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 27)
|(Only used in practice)|
|T/C||Tony Adamowicz||Lola T330 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8
[Roy Woods Racing] (see note 28)
|(Crashed in practice)|
|T/C||Jody Scheckter||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 29)
|(Crashed in practice)|
|DNP||Bobby Brown||Chevron B24 [24-73-03] - Chevrolet Morand V8
(see note 30)
|Did not take part in official practice|
|DNP||Ed Hinchliff||Lotus 70  - Chevrolet V8
||Did not take part in official practice|
|DNA||Skip Barber||March 73A  - Chevrolet V8
|Did not arrive|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Jody Scheckter||22||38:33.207||115.618 mph|
|11||Thomas C. Jones||19|
|Graham McRae||Did not start|
|Gregg Young||Did not start|
|Frank Matich||Did not start|
|John Gunn||Did not start|
|1||Brian Redman||22||38:22.323||116.169 mph|
|Michael Brockman||Did not start|
|Vern Schuppan||Did not start|
|Ed Hinchliff||Did not start|
|Bobby Brown||Did not start|
|1||Jody Scheckter||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1:41.227|
|2||Bob Muir||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU4] - Chevrolet Molloy V8||1:43.290|
|3||Brett Lunger||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU12-2] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1:43.322|
|4||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU14] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1:43.633|
|5||Graham McRae||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||1:43.708|
|6||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet Smith V8||1:44.309|
|7||Gus Hutchison||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet HRE V8||1:44.702|
|8||Mark Donohue||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC 304 ci Traco V8||1:44.881|
|9||Tony Adamowicz||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU7] - Chevrolet Woods V8||1:45.871|
|10||David Hobbs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU15] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1:46.546|
|11||Eppie Wietzes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU11] - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1:46.771|
|12||Harry Ingle||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M22 [M22-2-72] - Ford V8||1:47.463|
|13||Tony Dean||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1:48.187|
|14||Kevin Bartlett||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||1:48.735|
|15||Jon Woodner||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1:49.071|
|16||Steve Pieper||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU7] - Chevrolet CRM V8||1:49.173|
|17||Johnnie Walker||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50  - Repco Holden V8||1:49.273|
|18||Warren Flickinger||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU14] - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1:49.474|
|19||Eddie Miller||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU9] - Chevrolet Bartz V8||1:50.189|
|20||Jim Sarich||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||1:50.545|
|21||John Gimbel||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A50  - Ford Boss 302 V8||1:51.259|
|22||Vern Schuppan *||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A51  - Repco Holden V8||1:51.351|
|23||Tony Settember||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10/18 - Chevrolet V8||1:53.236|
|24||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||1:53.551|
|25||Frank Matich *||(F5000) 5-litre Matich A51  - Repco Holden V8||1:54.080|
|26||Syd Demovsky||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||1:54.453|
|27||Roger Bighouse||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T142 [SL142/21] - Chevrolet V8||1:56.876|
|28||Michael Brockman *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU1-2] - Chevrolet V8||1:58.630|
|29||Thomas C. Jones||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8||2:01.445|
|30||Doug Barrow||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8||2:05.794|
|31||Gregg Young *||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||2:22.385|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T330 [HU20] (Jody Scheckter): See full history: Lola T330 HU20.
- Lola T330 [HU14] (Brian Redman): See full history: Lola T330 HU14.
- Lola T330 [HU12-2] (Brett Lunger): See full history: Lola T330 HU12.
- Lola T330 [HU19] (Mark Donohue): See full history: Lola T330 HU19.
- Lola T330 [HU11] (Eppie Wietzes): See full history: Lola T330 HU11.
- Lola T330 [HU15] (David Hobbs): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- McRae GM1  (Jon Woodner): New to Cuddy Racing for Jon Woodner to race in the 1973 US series. Advertised in Autoweek 22 Dec 1973 by Carroll Smith, Bill Cuddy and Woodner. Subsequent history unknown but a tub with chassis plate 008 plus bodywork and wings acquired from Graham McRae by Dan Furey (Columbus, OH), built up and and raced by Furey in historics from 1994 to 1997. Sold in 2004 to Paul Hoey (Olympia, WA) who believed it may have been the Josef Scott car, not the Woodner car. Sold to Jay Esterer (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) July 2008, and raced in F5000 Tasman Revival series in New Zealand in January 2009. Sold February 2009 to Peter Burson (Auckland, New Zealand), also the owner of 003, and raced regularly by Aaron Burson (Auckland, New Zealand) in the F5000 Tasman Revival series almost every season from 2009/10 to 2017/18. More information about McRae GM1-008
- Matich A50  (Johnnie Walker): Bought by Johnny Walker, and fitted with the engine and transmission from his Elfin MR5. Raced by Walker in the 1972 Australian Gold Star, 1973 Australian Internationals, then to America for four races in the US series. To Jon Davison for the 1974 Australian Gold Star and 1975 Australian Internationals 1975 Australian Gold Star, 1976 Australian Internationals, 1976 Australian Gold Star, and 1977 Australian Internationals. To Bronwyn Taylor 1977 and raced in 1978 and 1979 - Geoff Munyard 1980 - leased to Kevin Leighton 1982 - Graham Stoll - Peter Brennan (Melbourne, Australia) - Ziggy Schueller 1990 - Ken Smith (NZ) 1992 or 1993 - James Boult (NZ) 1996 - Russell Greer (NZ) 1996 - Richard Bendell (Australia) 2001 - Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW, Australia) 2004 - Philip Lewis 2013.
- Lola T300 [HU14] (Warren Flickinger): Invoice date 8 Mar 1972 (sold to 'Haas', colour 'White'). New to Warren Flickinger and raced in the US series in 1972 (7 races, debut R1 Laguna Seca 7 May 1972) and in 1973. Advertised by Chuck Jones Racing (Costa Mesa, CA) in Formula Magazine (Vol 1 No 6, Mar/Apr 1974) and sold to Floyd Sable (Anaheim, CA) for SCCA National and Regional racing in 1974 and 1975. The original T300 bodywork was lost in a fire during this time, so Sable fitted T332 bodywork. Sold to Terry Hinesly (Prospect, Oregon) and raced for another two years. Then to Dana Leung (Vancouver, BC, Canada) in 1978 who ran it at Sears Point and Riverside, wrecking an engine, and then in a SCCA Regional at Portland, where he crashed it. The car passed into the ownership of mechanic Bob Hume but, before it could be repaired, it was stolen and stripped. Bob recovered the tub and retained the engine, but little more. It due course, he sold the tub to a New Zealand mechanic/driver called Peter who worked for Pierre Phillips. Nothing more known.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-01] (Tony Dean): Built for 1973 season. Tony Dean: raced in UK 1973, US 1973, UK 1974 (crashed at R1 - Dean then buys B24-73-08), also used to settle a bet at the BARC Harewood hill climb 4 Aug 1974; UK 1975 (driven by Dean 3 races, Alain Peltier 1 DNS, Roelof Wunderink 1 DNS). Presumably the car raced by Dean at the Easter Rufforth meeting, winning the libre event. Raced by Dean at Aintree 19 Apr 1975, setting a new circuit record as he won the libre race by over a lap. Crashed and written off by Wunderink Zandvoort (practice) 17 May 1975. Wreckage scrapped.
- Surtees TS8  (Syd Demovsky): New for Bob Griffin's Corsair Racing Team (San Antonio, TX) June 1971 for Clive Baker to race in the US series (from Edmonton 1 Aug 1971). The TS8 was retained for Baker for 1972 as teammate to Ron Grable in a new TS11, but the team did not reappear after Grable crashed his TS11 at Edmonton on 4 Jun 1972 and went bust at some point during the year. Both cars were sold to Gus Hutchison (Dallas, TX), and the TS8 was entered by Hutchison's HRE (Dallas, TX) for Syd Demovsky (Chicago, IL) throughout the 1973 US series, with a best finish of ninth in the final race. The TS8 was advertised by Hutchison in Autoweek 22 Sep 1973 and later 7 Dec 1974 as "ready to race". Also in the advert was a TS11 which was said to have a new tub and a further new spare tub. Subsequent history unknown.
- Lola T142 [SL142/21] (Roger Bighouse): See full history: Lola T142 SL142/21.
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Kevin Bartlett): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
- McRae GM1  (Jim Sarich): Built for 1973 season. Quicksilver Racing (Rockville, MD) for Jim and Chuck Sarich: raced in US 1973 (debut Watkins Glen R5 17 Jun 1973), US 1974 (1 race: Laguna Seca); advertised Autoweek 26 Apr 1975 - Ted Wenz and Peter Marcovicci (of Marcovicci-Wenz Engineering) 1986: raced by Wenz in US vintage racing 1986-1998 - Stan Redmond (Christchurch, New Zealand) 2003. Retained 2004 and used in the F5000 Tasman Revival series in 2004 and 2006. To Alistair Hey (Christchurch) 2007, and used by Chris Hyde to win the 2007/08 F5000 Tasman Revival Series. To Steve Ross (Dunedin) 2009, who continued to run it in the F5000 Tasman Revival series (#5 orange).
- Lola T330 [HU7] (Tony Adamowicz): See full history: Lola T330 HU7.
- McRae GM1  (Graham McRae): New for Graham McRae in 1973 and raced by him in the US series, in STP livery and entered as #1. The car was not a success and McRae was distracted by his Indy 500 campaign and his F1 debut. The car returned to England but was not sen again until advertised by dealer Derek Robinson (Frome, Somerset) in May 1975. Sold to Ian Stronach (Manchester) and raced in libre racing during 1976 and 1977, usually at Oulton Park and Aintree. Then to Larry Bradley late 1978, then to Ian Higgins in the late 1980s or early 1990s. Sold to the US where it reappeared with Ken Petrie at a F5000 reunion in May 2001. Sold to Jay Esterer (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) in 2008, restored to its #1 STP livery and raced by him in historic racing in the US and in New Zealand. Damaged at Manfeild in November 2011 but repaired and raced by Esterer again in 2015. More information
- Lola T330 [HU4] (Bob Muir): See full history: Lola T330 HU4.
- McLaren M22 [M22-2-72] (Harry Ingle): See full history: McLaren M22 M22-2-72.
- Lola T330 [HU9] (Eddie Miller): See full history: Lola T330 HU9.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-02] (Peter Gethin): New for 1973 season. Doug Shierson for Peter Gethin: raced in UK 1973 (won Race of Champions) and US 1973. To Roger Bighouse (Eastlake, OH): raced in US 1974 (7 races); US 1975 (4 races + 1 DNS) - Pat McGonegle (Cincinnati, OH): raced in US 1976 (1 race) and Can-Am 1977 (4 races + 1 DNS); probably the car entered by McGonegle as 'Mannix MX-2' in Can-Am 1978; advertised April 1979 - Danny Johnson (Kewanee, IL) 1979: raced in Can-Am 1979 (1 race), Can-Am 1981 (5 races), Can-Am 1982 (6 races) - Brian R Taylor (now Clive, Iowa) for Mike Engstrand (Des Moines, Iowa): raced in Can-Am 1985 (3 races) - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) - Anthony Taylor (Blackburn, UK) 2001: due to be rebuilt and raced in FORCE Historic F5000 series (UK) 2001. Then unknown until owned by Greg Thornton in 2011 and raced in UK and New Zealand 2011/12. Badly damaged in a fire at Thornton's garage in June 2012 but completely reconstructed.
- March 73A  (Gus Hutchison): See full history: March 73A/1.
- McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] (Thomas C. Jones): Bought by Tom Jones in the autumn of 1972 from Fred Opert as a kit, and built up by Jones and his father. Raced in the US series in 1973 and 1974. Sold to the father of Vic Todia (Parma Heights, OH) who raced in SCCA and 'Pro' events in 1976 and then SCCA events in 1977 and 1978. Acquired by Len Arnold (Greeley, Colorado) 1989, who restored the car and sold it to McLaren collector Harry Mathews in November 1990. Sold to Kiwi Tony Roberts (Auckland, New Zealand) to race in the 2007/08 F5000 Tasman Revival series. Sold to Tim Rush (Feilding, NZ), and raced in the 2009/10 Revival series. Later damaged at Hampton Downs in January 2015. More information about McLaren M22 M22-3-72
- March 73A  (John Gunn): Built for 1973 season (white). John Gunn: raced in US 1973, US 1974 (last race September 1974) - Les Hudelson mid-1974: raced by John Cannon US for the two Californian races in October 1974. Car then "put away"; retained by Hudelson in storage for nearly 20 years - Greg Wold (Maple Grove, MN) about 1993: restored to 1973 specification over next six years; raced in the SVRA series 2002. To Nick Smith (San Diego, CA) Feb 2007. To Roger Williams (New Zealand) Jan 2010. To Clark Proctor (Auckland, New Zealand) later in 2010 and raced in the Tasman Revival series in 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2014/15.
- McRae GM1  (Gregg Young): See full history: McRae GM1/005.
- Lola T300 [HU1-2] (Michael Brockman): New for Frank Gardner late UK 1971 season, then to Australia but crashed in practice for the Australian GP and the 1972 Tasman series. Sold to Gary Campbell for the end of the Tasman series, then the 1972 Australian Gold Star series. Traded to Carl Haas for a new Lola T330, and sold on to Mike Brockman in Florida for the 1973 US championship. Not seen in 1974. Subsequent history unknown. More information about Lola T300 HU1
- Lola T330 [HU1] (Max Stewart): Works car for Frank Gardner at the end of 1972, then to Max Stewart for the 1973 Tasman series, the 1973 US series, 1973 Australian Gold Star, 1974 Tasman, and 1974 Gold Star. Driven by David Oxton in the 1975 New Zealand Tasman races, then by Stewart for last two races of Tasman 1975 after he gave up on his Lola T400. Driven by John Leffler, Stewart and Paul Bernasconi during 1975. To Ian Adams (NSW, Australia) 1976, and raced until 1982. Sold by Adams to Darcy Russell (Moorabbin, Victoria, Australia) in 1988, and raced in historic racing from 1992 onwards. Appeared regularly at the VHRR Phillip Island Classic from 1997 to 2016, and in the Australian GP support races in 2009 and 2010. More information about Lola T330 HU1
- Lola T330 [HU8] (Brian Redman): To Haas/Hall and developed by Jim Hall with revised bodywork, radiators and rear wing for Brian Redman in the 1973 US series. Then to Rogers Racing for Larry Harley in the 1974 US series. To Ken Smith (New Zealand) for the 1974/75 season, the New Zealand and Australian Internationals 1976. To Chris Milton (South Australia) and raced in Australia from Sep 1977 to Sep 1978. To John Blanden 1978, and driven for him by Rob Butcher from 1979 to 1982. To Bib Stillwell 1988 for Australian historic racing. To Noel Robson (Melbourne, Australia) 1993, and raced in Australian historic racing for many years. More information about Lola T330 HU8
- Lola T330 [HU10] (Tony Adamowicz): See full history: Lola T330 HU10.
- Trojan T101  (Jody Scheckter): See full history: Trojan T101/103.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-03] (Bobby Brown): Built for 1973 season. Bobby Brown: raced in UK 1973 (borrowed by Gethin at Oulton 13 May) and US 1973. Brown's season was curtailed by illness and a family bereavement (the B24 was advertised in Autoweek from 25 Aug 1973 to 16 November 1974) - Bob DeNuzio (Long Island, NY, US) 1974: raced in SCCA FA races in 1976 - Phil Halbert 1976: raced in SCCA events; crashed at Willow Springs 1978 - Todd Gerstenberger (Manhattan Beach, CA) 1987: rebuilt and restored 1987-1991; used extensively in historic racing since 1992. (At one point, Gerstenberger described this car as "24-72-04".)
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.