SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round
Road America, 28 Aug 1976
|1||Brian Redman||Lola T332C [HU56] - Chevrolet V8
|2||Danny Ongais||Lola T332C [HU60] - Chevrolet V8
|3||Al Unser||Lola T332 [HU35-2] - Chevrolet V8
#51? (see note 1)
|4||Peter Gethin||Chevron B37 [37-76-01] - Chevrolet V8
#3? (see note 2)
|5||Teddy Pilette||Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
#4? (see note 3)
|6||John Cannon||March 73A/751 ["75AM"] - Chevrolet V8
|7||Skeeter McKitterick||Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8
#30? (see note 4)
|8||John David Briggs||Lola T332 [HU50] - Chevrolet V8
#71? (see note 5)
|9||Arlon J. Koops||Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8
#85? (see note 6)
|10||Randy Lewis||Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8
#28? (see note 7)
|11||Jim Sechser||Leda LT27  - Chevrolet V8
#58? (see note 8)
|12||Bob Nagel||Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8
#75? (see note 9)
|13||Horst Kroll||Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8
#37? (see note 10)
|14||Doug Schulz||Lola T332 [HU44] - Chevrolet V8
#20? (see note 11)
|15||T. Patrick McGonegle||Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8
#38? (see note 12)
|16||Vic Todia||McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8
#21 (see note 13)
|17||Warwick Brown||Lola T430 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8
#2? (see note 14)
|18||Geoff Davie||March "741" [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8
#93? (see note 15)
|19||Ed Kasprowicz||Chevron B24 [24-73-05B] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 16)
|20||Vern Schuppan||Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
#48? (see note 17)
|21||John Benton||Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8
#22? (see note 18)
|22||Dick Kantrud||Lola T330/T332 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8
#34? (see note 19)
|23||Bert Kuehne||Lola T300 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8
|24||Richard Shirey||Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8
|25||Jackie Oliver||Shadow DN6B [1A] - Dodge V8
#0 (see note 20)
|26||Brett Lunger||Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8
#10? [Hogan Racing]
|27||Ed Polley||Lola T332 ["76-13"] - Chevrolet V8
|28||Evan Noyes||Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8
#24? (see note 21)
|29||Dick Ferguson||Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8
|30||Derek Bell||Lola T332C [HU61] - Chevrolet V8
|DNS||Don Breidenbach||March 73A/751 ["75AM"] - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start|
|T||Al Unser||Lola T332 ['K1'] - Chevrolet V8
|(Only used in practice)|
|T/C||Danny Ongais||Lola T332 [HU54] - Chevrolet V8
#63? (see note 22)
|(Crashed in practice)|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Brian Redman||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU56] - Chevrolet V8||2:04.420||2:01.573|
|2||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8||2:07.373||2:02.001|
|3||Jackie Oliver||(F5000) 5-litre Shadow DN6B [1A] - Dodge V8||2:02.403|
|4||Danny Ongais||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU60] - Chevrolet V8||2:03.267|
|5||Al Unser||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU35-2] - Chevrolet V8||2:07.466||2:03.504|
|6||Warwick Brown||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T430 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8||2:07.548||2:04.218|
|7||Brett Lunger||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8||2:06.349||2:04.511|
|8||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B37 [37-76-01] - Chevrolet V8||2:07.404||2:04.813|
|9||Al Unser(T)||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 ['K1'] - Chevrolet V8||2:05.296|
|10||Vern Schuppan||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8||2:06.140||2:06.142|
|11||Derek Bell||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C [HU61] - Chevrolet V8||2:08.536||2:06.252|
|12||Skeeter McKitterick||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU29] - Chevrolet V8||2:09.998||2:06.742|
|13||Danny Ongais(T)||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU54] - Chevrolet V8||2:07.331|
|14||Randy Lewis||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8||2:26.934||2:08.380|
|15||Evan Noyes||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU51] - Chevrolet V8||2:09.348||3:09.575|
|16||John Cannon||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A/751 ["75AM"] - Chevrolet V8||2:12.839||2:10.411|
|17||John David Briggs||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU50] - Chevrolet V8||2:15.154||2:10.977|
|18||Richard Shirey||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8||2:11.763||2:12.116|
|19||Don Breidenbach *||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A/751 ["75AM"] - Chevrolet V8||2:12.785|
|20||Dick Ferguson||(F5000) 5-litre Surtees TS8  - Chevrolet V8||2:19.997||2:14.742|
|21||Arlon J. Koops||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8||2:18.669||2:16.056|
|22||Horst Kroll||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8||2:22.692||2:16.668|
|23||Bob Nagel||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8||2:17.006||2:17.470|
|24||Jim Sechser||(F5000) 5-litre Leda LT27  - Chevrolet V8||2:17.383||2:20.079|
|25||Geoff Davie||(F5000) 5-litre March "741" [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8||2:35.962||2:19.921|
|26||Doug Schulz||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU44] - Chevrolet V8||2:24.916||2:23.180|
|27||Dick Kantrud||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330/T332 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8||2:23.273|
|28||Bert Kuehne||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8||2:24.382|
|29||T. Patrick McGonegle||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-02] - Chevrolet V8||2:29.067||2:24.937|
|30||Ed Kasprowicz||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-05B] - Chevrolet V8||2:39.454||2:30.645|
|31||Vic Todia||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] - Chevrolet V8||2:40.027||2:34.758|
|32||Ed Polley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 ["76-13"] - Chevrolet V8||2:41.050||2:34.953|
|33||John Benton||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T332 [HU35-2] (Al Unser): See full history: Lola T332 HU35.
- Chevron B37 [37-76-01] (Peter Gethin): To VDS Racing and entered for Peter Gethin in the 1976 US F5000 series (also raced once by Teddy Pilette) and in the Rothmans series in Australia in early 1977. To Bruce Allison (Brisbane, Australia) and raced by him in the 1977 UK Group 8 Championship and in the Rothmans series again in Australia in early 1978. Then to Ivan Tighe (Brisbane) and raced in national Australian F5000 and in the International series in 1979. Raced by Tighe up to the end of F5000 in Australia in 1982 and retained by him until 2001. Then sold via Race Car Warehouse (Brighton, England) in early 2002 to Simon Hadfield (Shepshed, Leicestershire) and completely restored. Raced with great success by Hadfield in historic racing both in the UK and in Australia from 2004 to 2008. It has since been raced by guest drivers, including Tony Trimmer at Oulton Park in 2009, Marcus Pye at Oulton Park in 2010 and Ben Anderson at the 2012 Silverstone Classic. Sold in October 2014 to Neil Glover (Ansty, West Sussex).
- Lola T430 [HU1] (Teddy Pilette): VDS for Teddy Pilette US 1976 (6 races; best result 3rd at R3 Mosport Park 20 Jun); used as spare car to Brown's HU2 in Australian Internationals 1977 - Alan Hamilton (Australia): used as spare car; maybe Jon Davison's car Australian Gold Star 1977 (R1 Surfers Paradise 28 Aug 1977 only). Built up after Hamilton's crash at the 1978 Australian GP and raced by Alfredo Costanzo: Australian Gold Star 1978; Australian Internationals 1979 (won at Sandown Park and Adelaide); Australian Gold Star 1979 (won at Sandown 9 Sep); Australian Gold Star 1980 (won at Sandown 14 Sep and Winton 26 Oct); Australian GP 1980 (4th) - Bob Minogue: Australian Gold Star 1981, Arco Graphic 1981/82. Minogue still holds several lap records in Australia, including the Sandown International circuit record for F5000, set on 2 Mar 1986 and the Historic F5000 record at Winton on 30 May 1993. Subsequently sold to Gavin Bain, then to Graham Cameron, who raced it at Historic Sandown in 2000. To David Abbott (Christchurch, NZ) by 2002, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival regularly from 2003 to 2008, when Abbott moved over to his newly rebuilt HU2. Then raced by Ken Smith in the series from 2008 to 2010.
- Lola T332 [HU29] (Skeeter McKitterick): See full history: Lola T332 HU29.
- Lola T332 [HU50] (John David Briggs): See full history: Lola T332 HU50.
- Lola T330 [HU20] (Arlon J. Koops): See full history: Lola T330 HU20.
- Lola T332 [HU39] (Randy Lewis): See full history: Lola T332 HU39.
- Leda LT27  (Jim Sechser): Built as Leda LT27-002 for the 1972 season. To Evan Noyes (Cedarville, MI) and raced in UK and US series in 1972, then Tasman 1973, then US series 1973. Via Roy Campbell, "Race Car Drivers Institute" and a bankrupcy auction to Jim Sechser (St Louis Park, MN) by 1975 or 1976, and used in SCCA racing and a single Pro race in 1976 and 1977. Crashed heavily in 1977, but rebuilt and raced again in 1979. To Fred Schilpin (St Cloud, MN) 1979 or later, and used in minor racing; then retained until 1996. To Roger Williams (Auckland, New Zealand) 1996. Raced by Williams in Australian historic racing from 2001 onwards, and in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2003 to 2006. To Alastair Russell (Auckland, New Zealand) and raced in Tasman Revival series from 2006 onwards. More information about Leda LT27-002/McRae GM1-002
- Lola T332 [HU33] (Bob Nagel): See full history: Lola T332 HU33.
- Lola T330 [HU2] (Horst Kroll): See full history: Lola T330 HU2.
- Lola T332 [HU44] (Doug Schulz): See full history: Lola T332 HU44.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-02] (T. Patrick McGonegle): New for 1973 season. Doug Shierson for Peter Gethin: raced in UK 1973 (won Race of Champions) and US 1973. To Roger Bighouse (Eastlake, OH): raced in US 1974 (7 races); US 1975 (4 races + 1 DNS) - Pat McGonegle (Cincinnati, OH): raced in US 1976 (1 race) and Can-Am 1977 (4 races + 1 DNS); probably the car entered by McGonegle as 'Mannix MX-2' in Can-Am 1978; advertised April 1979 - Danny Johnson (Kewanee, IL) 1979: raced in Can-Am 1979 (1 race), Can-Am 1981 (5 races), Can-Am 1982 (6 races) - Brian R Taylor (now Clive, Iowa) for Mike Engstrand (Des Moines, Iowa): raced in Can-Am 1985 (3 races) - Chuck Haines (St Louis, MO) - Anthony Taylor (Blackburn, UK) 2001: due to be rebuilt and raced in FORCE Historic F5000 series (UK) 2001. Then unknown until owned by Greg Thornton in 2011 and raced in UK and New Zealand 2011/12. Badly damaged in a fire at Thornton's garage in June 2012 but completely reconstructed.
- McLaren M22 [M22-3-72] (Vic Todia): Bought by Tom Jones in the autumn of 1972 from Fred Opert as a kit, and built up by Jones and his father. Raced in the US series in 1973 and 1974. Sold to the father of Vic Todia (Parma Heights, OH) who raced in SCCA and 'Pro' events in 1976 and then SCCA events in 1977 and 1978. Acquired by Len Arnold (Greeley, Colorado) 1989, who restored the car and sold it to McLaren collector Harry Mathews in November 1990. Sold to Kiwi Tony Roberts (Auckland, New Zealand) to race in the 2007/08 F5000 Tasman Revival series. Sold to Tim Rush (Feilding, NZ), and raced in the 2009/10 Revival series. Later damaged at Hampton Downs in January 2015. More information about McLaren M22 M22-3-72
- Lola T430 [HU2] (Warwick Brown): VDS spare car US 1976 (raced by Peter Gethin: 3 races; Warwick Brown: 2 races); VDS for Warwick Brown Australian Internationals 1977 (won at Oran Park and Surfers Paradise, crashed in practice at Sandown Park, second at Adelaide) - Alan Hamilton (Australia): Australian Gold Star 1977 (debut R1 Surfers Paradise 28 Aug 1977); Australian Internationals 1978 (driven by Derek Bell at Oran Park); crashed at Australian GP 1978 and broken in half. All the surviving running gear from the wreck stayed with HU1 through various owners until reaching David Abbott in New Zealand in 2005. Over the next two years David, with Alan Hamilton's agreement, recreated this car and it first ran, with Hamilton driving, at Christchurch in October 2007. Raced by Abbott in the Formula 5000 Tasman Cup Revival at the Australian GP meeting 28 Mar 2009.
- March "741" [73A/3(B)] (Geoff Davie): See full history: March 73A/3.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-05B] (Ed Kasprowicz): Built for 1974 season. James Dunkel: raced in US 1974, US 1975 (1 race + 1 DNS) - Ed Kaprowicz August 1976: raced in US 1976 (1 race), SCCA FA 1977, SCCA FA 1978 - Steve Bollinger January 1982 - Randy Reso April 1982 - Rupert Bragg-Smith December 1982: raced in Can-Am 1983 (2 races), Can-Am 1984 (2 races), Can-Am 1985 (1 race) - Jack Boxstrom December 1987 - Dick Leppla December 1992: raced at HSR Mid-Ohio July 1994 - Jack Boxstrom (again) of RM Auctions, Inc. (Canada) February 1997 - Albert Way (Oceanview, NJ) Feb 2001 - Philip Jewell (Rushcutters Bay, NSW, Australia) May 2012 - Dean Camm (Melbourne, Australia) December 2016.
- Lola T332 [HU46] (Vern Schuppan): See full history: Lola T332 HU46.
- Lola T330 [HU26] (John Benton): See full history: Lola T330 HU26.
- Lola T330/T332 [HU15] (Dick Kantrud): See full history: Lola T330 HU15.
- Shadow DN6B [1A] (Jackie Oliver): Built new for 1975, and raced by Jackie Oliver at the first two races of the season. Then became the spare car, and raced by Jean-Pierre Jarier at Watkins Glen. Also raced by Oliver at Riverside after DN6/2A had been damaged at Long Beach. It was then retained as Oliver's spare car for 1976, and was raced at Mid-Ohio and Road America in August. The car was retained by Don Nichols after the US team closed down, and was sold by him Michael Duncan (Los Altos, CA) in 1988. Sold by Duncan to Mike McComas (Pampa, TX), who sold it to Jim Bartel (Wixom, MI) in 1997. Bartel had it restored by RM Motorsport and it was raced by Craig Bennett (Brighton MI) at Road America in July 2005. Sold to Andrew Simpson (Houston, TX) in 2007, then via Scott Monroe (Kemah, TX) in 2008 to Jim Kelleher (Sugarland, TX) in 2009. Raced by Kelleher in vintage racing until damaged at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in June 2014. Sold back to Bartel who had it repaired by RM Motorsport and returned to competition in 2015.
- Lola T332 [HU51] (Evan Noyes): See full history: Lola T332 HU51.
- Lola T332 [HU54] (Danny Ongais): Thought to be the F5000 Lola T332 chassis bought by Interscope Racing for Danny Ongais to replace the car damaged by Ongais at Riverside 1975. Then the T332-spec spare car used by Ongais alongside his new T332C in the US series in 1976. The spare car was "comprehensively written off" in practice at Elkhart Lake but may well have been repaired. This is believed to be the car deposited in the Justice Brothers Museum some time between 1977 and 1980 by Ed O'Brien. It remained in the museum until 2010 when acquired by Ken Smith (Auckland, New Zealand), his chief crew Barry Miller and Phil Richardson. Raced in the 2011/12 F5000 Tasman Revival series but Smith crashed heavily at its second race. Rebuilt with a new monocoque, and raced in the series every season from 2012/13 to 2017/18.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1968 US information has been taken from SCCA results sheets with additional information from Autoweek race reports and from some entry lists. Thanks to David McKinney and Wolfgang Klopfer for providing these. Identifying the classes and model of some entries has proved very difficult so all new information would be welcomed.
1969-1971 US information has been collated by Chris Townsend using Autoweek reports. All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome.
1972-1976 US information was originally collated by Wolfgang Klopfer, converted to database format by Dawn Harrison and checked by Jim Thurman and Don Capps. Wolfgang's main sources are Autoweek and individual SCCA results bulletins but Autosport, Autocourse and Road Racing Annual have also been consulted.
US SCCA Runoffs, Nationals and Regionals results were collated by Wolfgang Klopfer from Autoweek reports. These reports were usually very brief so the information on the majority of races is limited just to the identity of the FA class winner.
Some race programs have also been used for entry lists and other information. My thanks to Richard Coe for the generous contributions from his collection.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.