Rothmans F5000 Championship round
Mallory Park, 8 Jul 1973
|1||Brett Lunger||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#2 (see note 1)
|2||Tom Belsø||Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#208 (see note 2)
|3||Teddy Pilette||Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#33 (see note 3)
|4||Guy Edwards||Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#4 (see note 4)
|5||Gijs van Lennep||Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#1 (see note 5)
|6||Steve Thompson||Chevron B24 [24-73-06] - Chevrolet RES V8
#15 (see note 6)
|7||Chris Craft||Chevron B24 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet Morand V8
(see note 7)
|8||Clive Santo||Lola T330 [HU21] - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 8)
|9||Willie Green||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
(see note 9)
|10||Tony Trimmer||McLaren M18 [500-04] - Chevrolet Trimmer V8
#10 (see note 10)
|11||Clive Baker||March 73A  - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8
(see note 11)
|43||running, not classified|
|12||Trevor Twaites||Lola T330 [HU6] - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8
(see note 12)
|43||running, not classified|
|R||Jim Moore||McLaren M10B [400-04-2] - Chevrolet V8
|R||Keith Holland||Lola T190X [190/F1/14] - Chevrolet Morand V8
|R||Jock Russell||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
#5 (see note 13)
|R||Ian Ashley||Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet Smith V8
#6 (see note 14)
|R||Bob Evans||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#11 (see note 15)
|DNS||Pierre Soukry||Connew PC2 [002B] - Chevrolet Morand V8
||Did not start
(oil pipe/oil tank split)
|DNS||Alan Rollinson||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8
#12 (see note 16)
|Did not start
|DNS||Keith Holland||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8
#25 (see note 17)
|Did not start|
|DNS||John Bowtell||McLaren M10A/B [300-16] - Rover Lilley V8
|Did not start
|DNS||David Oxton||Begg FM5  - Chevrolet Morand-Begg V8
|Did not start
|DNS||Chris Featherstone||Lola T190X [190/F1/14] - Chevrolet Morand V8
|Did not start
(car loaned to Holland)
|DNSC||Terry Sanger||Lola T300 [HU9] - Chevrolet V8
||Did not start (crashed)|
|DNSC||Tony Dean||Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#8 (see note 18)
|Did not start (crashed)|
|DNSC||Graham McRae||McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Bartz V8
#22 (see note 19)
|Did not start (crashed)|
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Ian Ashley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.42.0|
|2||Brett Lunger||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.42.0|
|3||Graham McRae *||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet Bartz V8||0.42.2|
|4||Tom Belsø||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet Smith V8|
|5||Bob Evans||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.42.8|
|6||Keith Holland *||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.43.0|
|7||Gijs van Lennep||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.43.2|
|8||Guy Edwards||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.43.2|
|9||Tony Dean *||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-01] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.43.4|
|10||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-04] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.43.6|
|11||Clive Santo||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU21] - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.44.0|
|12||Steve Thompson||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-06] - Chevrolet RES V8||0.44.0|
|13||Willie Green||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet Smith V8||0.45.2|
|14||Tony Trimmer||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M18 [500-04] - Chevrolet Trimmer V8||0.45.6|
|15||Alan Rollinson *||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||0.46.6|
|16||David Oxton *||(F5000) 5-litre Begg FM5  - Chevrolet Morand-Begg V8||0.47.8|
|17||Jock Russell||(F5000) 5-litre McRae GM1  - Chevrolet V8||0.48.0|
|18||Chris Featherstone *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190X [190/F1/14] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.49.2|
|19||Jim Moore||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10B [400-04-2] - Chevrolet V8||0.50.8|
|20||Trevor Twaites||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU6] - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8||0.51.0|
|21||Pierre Soukry *||(F5000) 5-litre Connew PC2 [002B] - Chevrolet Morand V8||0.53.0|
|22||John Bowtell *||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M10A/B [300-16] - Rover Lilley V8||0.53.2|
|23||Terry Sanger *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T300 [HU9] - Chevrolet V8||0.54.5|
|24||Clive Baker||(F5000) 5-litre March 73A  - Chevrolet Bolthoff V8||0.54.8|
|25||Keith Holland||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T190X [190/F1/14] - Chevrolet Morand V8||No time|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Trojan T101  (Brett Lunger): See full history: Trojan T101/102.
- Lola T330 [HU2] (Tom Belsø): See full history: Lola T330 HU2.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-04] (Teddy Pilette): Built for 1973 season. VDS for Teddy Pilette: raced in UK 1973 and Tasman 1974 - Roelof Wunderink: raced in UK 1974. Then via Tony Dean to Richard Simms and used in libre racing in 1975 and 1976. To John Lambert (York) 1977: used in hillclimbs in 1978 and 1979. Then via Ian Webb and Alex Seldon to Chris Townrow (Crantock, Cornwall) for sprints in Cornwall and Devon. To historic racer Richard Piper (Greenwich, London) and partner Patric Capon and raced by Piper in libre and HSCC racing in 1983 and 1984. To Dennis Humphries (Canterbury, Kent) and damaged in testing at West Malling airfield. Repaired and sold to John Harper (late 1980s/early 1990s) then via Tony Ingram (Atlanta, GA) and Lee Chapman (New Milford, CT) to Fred Gunther (Trumbull, CT). Later via Vintage Racing Services (Stratford, CT) to Alex Seiler (NY, NY) c1998. Following a restoration, it was raced in VARA events at Willow Springs and Phoenix and driven on occasion by Casey Annis, publisher of Vintage racecar Magazine. In 2000, it was sold to Stan Beck (Seattle, WA) restored again before it was sold on to Miles Jackson (Seattle, WA) in 2006.
- Lola T330 [HU16] (Guy Edwards): See full history: Lola T330 HU16.
- Lola T330 [HU18] (Gijs van Lennep): See full history: Lola T330 HU18.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-06] (Steve Thompson): Built for 1973 season. Alan Brodie for Steve Thompson: raced in UK 1973, UK 1974 - Dennis Leech (Exeter, UK): raced in UK 1975 (heavily crashed in practice at R15 Mallory Park 12 Oct 1975 and not seen again). Subsequent history unknown but presumably wrecked,
- Chevron B24 [24-73-07] (Chris Craft): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Australia) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- Lola T330 [HU21] (Clive Santo): See full history: Lola T330 HU21.
- Trojan T101  (Willie Green): See full history: Trojan T101/105.
- McLaren M18 [500-04] (Tony Trimmer): See full history: McLaren M18 500-04.
- March 73A  (Clive Baker): See full history: March 73A/5.
- Lola T330 [HU6] (Trevor Twaites): New to Australian Colin Hyams who raced it in the UK series in early 1973. To Trevor Twaites June 1973, and raced by him in the UK series in 1973, 1974 and 1975. Later to John Jordan (UK), who entered it for Tom Belso in 1977, and raced it himself in libre in 1978. Entered by Jordan for Dave Williams in libre racing 1983, and then for Tony Trimmer in the BRSCC Libre Championship from 1984 to 1989, winning the championship in 1986 and finishing second in 1987 and in 1988. At some point between 1985 and 1988, the T330 was dismantled and parts used by Dave Finnigan (Biggleswade, UK) to construct T332 "HU42" for Jordan's team. The original HU6 chassis remained with Finnigan until early 2000 when sold to Richard Lines (UK), then to Kevan McLurg (UK) 2005 and built into a complete car by McLurg and then by John Crawford's Motorsport Solutions NZ Ltd by July 2009. Owned by this time by Lindsay Willis of Wilco Racing (Rotorua, NZ), and raced by his son Brett Willis (Rotorua, NZ) in the F5000 Tasman Revival series every season from 2010/11 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T330 HU6
- McRae GM1  (Jock Russell): Built for 1972 season as a Leda LT27 and entered by Leda Cars for Trevor Taylor in the UK series until Graham McRae bought the Leda Cars operation. Rebranded as a McRae GM1 (plated "LT27 GM3") and sold to Jock Russell (Midlothian, Scotland) July 1972. Raced by Russell in the 1972 UK series (also raced by Brett Lunger at two races). Raced again by Russell in the UK series in 1973. From Russell to Noel Butler (Birmingham), then to Roy Lane 2000, and restored in Lane's orange colours. To Peter and Aaron Burson (New Zealand) Oct 2006, and raced regularly by Peter in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2007/08 onwards. More information about Leda LT27-003/McRae GM1-003
- Lola T330 [HU17] (Ian Ashley): See full history: Lola T330 HU17.
- Trojan T101  (Bob Evans): See full history: Trojan T101/104.
- McRae GM1  (Alan Rollinson): See full history: McRae GM1/007.
- Trojan T101  (Keith Holland): See full history: Trojan T101/101.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-01] (Tony Dean): Built for 1973 season. Tony Dean: raced in UK 1973, US 1973, UK 1974 (crashed at R1 - Dean then buys B24-73-08), also used to settle a bet at the BARC Harewood hill climb 4 Aug 1974; UK 1975 (driven by Dean 3 races, Alain Peltier 1 DNS, Roelof Wunderink 1 DNS). Presumably the car raced by Dean at the Easter Rufforth meeting, winning the libre event. Raced by Dean at Aintree 19 Apr 1975, setting a new circuit record as he won the libre race by over a lap. Crashed and written off by Wunderink Zandvoort (practice) 17 May 1975. Wreckage scrapped.
- McRae GM1  (Graham McRae): Longer wheelbase car built for Graham McRae and raced in 1973 season. To Ian Ward Racing early 1974 and modified as "Ward KS1" but not raced in this form. To Chris Featherstone: raced in UK 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, and in Australian Rothmans series in 1978. To Gary Dumbrell (Australia) 1978, then to Bob Tomlinson 1978, and then to Salt Walther 1979 and raced in the 1979 Rothmans series. To Ray Gibbs (Australia) September 1979 and kept by him until sold to Stuart Lush (Auckland, New Zealand) 2000, and raced at Historic Sandown that year. Raced by Lush and others in the F5000 Tasman Revival series since 2003. More information about McRae GM1-015
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
All comments, clarifications, corrections and additions are most welcome. Please email Allen if you can add anything.