Shellsport F5000 Championship round
Thruxton, 26 May 1975
|1||Ian Ashley||Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8
#3 Richard Oaten Racing (see note 1)
|2||Teddy Pilette||Lola T400 [HU11] - Chevrolet V8
#4 Racing Team VDS (see note 2)
|3||Guy Edwards||Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8
#5 The Encyclopedia Brittanica Lola
(see note 3)
|4||Tom Belsø||Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8
#208 Radio Luxembourg (see note 4)
|5||Tony Dean||Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet V8
#17 A.G.Dean (see note 5)
|6||Peter Gethin||Lola T400 [HU4] - Chevrolet V8
#2 Racing Team VDS (see note 6)
|7||Brian McGuire||Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet V8
#19 (see note 7)
|8||Brian Robinson||McLaren M19C  - Chevrolet V8
|9||John Turner||Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet V8
#46 (see note 8)
|10||Chris Featherstone||McRae-Ward GM1/KS1 [GM1/015] - Chevrolet Morand V8
#30 (see note 9)
|R||Gordon Spice||Lola T332 [HU40] - Chevrolet V8
#41 Reed Racing (see note 10)
|R||Richard Scott||Lola T400 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8
#33 McKechnie Racing/Durex (see note 11)
|R||Patrick Sumner||Trojan T101  - Chevrolet V8
#18 (see note 12)
|14||engine bearing failure|
|R||Leen Verhoeven||Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet V8
#23 (see note 13)
|R||Derek Bell||Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet V8
#77 Thursdays/RAM (see note 14)
|9||losing water; engine|
|R||David Purley||(F5000) 3.4-litre Chevron B30 [30-75-01] - Ford GAA V6
#35 LEC Refrigeration/Southern Organs Racing Team
(see note 15)
|8||spun and stalled; clutch trouble|
|R||Alan Rollinson||Contender [McRae GM1-007] - Chevrolet V8
#38 (see note 16)
|DNSP||Trevor Twaites||Lola T330 [HU6] - Chevrolet V8
#26 (see note 17)
|Did not start (retired on parade lap)|
|DNS||Vern Schuppan||Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8
#7 (see note 18)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Boy Hayje||(F5000) 3.4-litre March 731  - Ford GAA V6
#36 Hezemans Racing
|Did not start
|DNS||Mick Hill||March 74A  - Chevrolet V8
#44 (see note 19)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Dennis Leech||Chevron B24 [24-73-06] - Chevrolet V8
#47 (see note 20)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Gerry Amato||Lola T330 [HU21] - Chevrolet V8
#48 (see note 21)
|Did not start|
|DNS||Andy Sutcliffe||Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-08] - Chevrolet V8
#88 Thursdays/RAM (see note 22)
|Did not start
|DNS||Chris Amon||Talon MR-1 - Chevrolet V8
|Did not start
All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.
|1||Ian Ashley||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU17] - Chevrolet V8||1.12.0||1.11.0|
|2||Brian McGuire||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU36] - Chevrolet V8||1.13.2||1.11.0|
|3||David Purley||(F5000) 3.4-litre Chevron B30 [30-75-01] - Ford GAA V6||1.12.0||1.11.6|
|4||Tom Belsø||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU2] - Chevrolet V8||1.15.2||1.11.8|
|5||Richard Scott||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU8] - Chevrolet V8||1.12.6||1.11.8|
|6||Gordon Spice||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU40] - Chevrolet V8||1.14.2||1.12.2|
|7||Guy Edwards||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU34] - Chevrolet V8||1.14.0||1.12.2|
|8||Teddy Pilette||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU11] - Chevrolet V8||1.12.8||1.12.8|
|9||Peter Gethin||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T400 [HU4] - Chevrolet V8||1.14.4|
|10||Boy Hayje *||(F5000) 3.4-litre March 731  - Ford GAA V6||1.13.8|
|11||Derek Bell||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B28 [28-74-02] - Chevrolet V8||1.13.8||1.13.8|
|-||Tony Dean||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] - Chevrolet V8||1.21.4|
|-||Chris Amon *||(F5000) 5-litre Talon MR-1 - Chevrolet V8||1.32.6||1.15.8|
|-||Brian Robinson||(F5000) 5-litre McLaren M19C  - Chevrolet V8||1.17.0|
|-||Mick Hill *||(F5000) 5-litre March 74A  - Chevrolet V8||1.18.4|
|-||John Turner||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU18] - Chevrolet V8||1.19.6|
|-||Andy Sutcliffe *||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-08] - Chevrolet V8||1.20.0|
|-||Leen Verhoeven||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU16] - Chevrolet V8||1.20.4|
|-||Chris Featherstone||(F5000) 5-litre McRae-Ward GM1/KS1 [GM1/015] - Chevrolet Morand V8||1.24.2|
|-||Trevor Twaites *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU6] - Chevrolet V8||1.31.0|
|-||Vern Schuppan *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8||not seen|
|-||Patrick Sumner||(F5000) 5-litre Trojan T101  - Chevrolet V8||not seen|
|-||Alan Rollinson||(F5000) 5-litre Contender [McRae GM1-007] - Chevrolet V8||not seen|
|-||Dennis Leech *||(F5000) 5-litre Chevron B24 [24-73-06] - Chevrolet V8||not seen|
|-||Gerry Amato *||(F5000) 5-litre Lola T330 [HU21] - Chevrolet V8||not seen|
|* Did not start|
Notes on the cars:
- Lola T330 [HU17] (Ian Ashley): See full history: Lola T330 HU17.
- Lola T400 [HU11] (Teddy Pilette): See full history: Lola T400 HU11.
- Lola T332 [HU34] (Guy Edwards): See full history: Lola T332 HU34.
- Lola T330 [HU2] (Tom Belsø): See full history: Lola T330 HU2.
- Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-07] (Tony Dean): New to VDS for Chris Craft in 1973 UK series, then for Peter Gethin in 1974 Tasman series. Loaned to Adlards Crowne Racing for Craft UK 1974; returned to VDS, converted to B24/B28 specification and used by Vern Schuppan to win at Brands Hatch October 1974. Sold to Tony Dean for the UK and US series in 1975, but confiscated by UK Customs & Excise on its return from the US. Bought by Don Gray (Sittingbourne, Kent) at auction, and raced in UK 1977. To Keith Holland for 1978 Australian Internationals 1978, and sold there to Barry Singleton 1978, who raced it in Australia in 1978/79. To Jim Lowe 1980/81, but crashed at Surfers Paradise in early 1981 and heavily damaged. Wreck sold to Russel Gomersall, then to Peter Phillips, then Laurie O'Neill, then Dr Bill Marshall sometime around 1985. Run in Australian historic racing 1986-1988. To George Parlby early 1990s. To Aaron Lewis (Cessnock, NSW) late 2005, and raced in the F5000 Tasman Revival series from 2006 to 2010. Robert Tweedie (Sydney, NSW) 2012, and raced by his son Tom Tweedie, in historic racing from 2013 onwards. More information about Chevron B24 B24-73-07
- Lola T400 [HU4] (Peter Gethin): See full history: Lola T400 HU4.
- Lola T332 [HU36] (Brian McGuire): See full history: Lola T332 HU36.
- Lola T330 [HU18] (John Turner): See full history: Lola T330 HU18.
- McRae-Ward GM1/KS1 [GM1/015] (Chris Featherstone): Longer wheelbase car built for Graham McRae and raced in 1973 season. To Ian Ward Racing early 1974 and modified as "Ward KS1" but not raced in this form. To Chris Featherstone: raced in UK 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, and in Australian Rothmans series in 1978. To Gary Dumbrell (Australia) 1978, then to Bob Tomlinson 1978, and then to Salt Walther 1979 and raced in the 1979 Rothmans series. To Ray Gibbs (Australia) September 1979 and kept by him until sold to Stuart Lush (Auckland, New Zealand) 2000, and raced at Historic Sandown that year. Raced by Lush and others in the F5000 Tasman Revival series since 2003. More information about McRae GM1-015
- Lola T332 [HU40] (Gordon Spice): See full history: Lola T332 HU40.
- Lola T400 [HU8] (Richard Scott): New to McKechnie Racing Org and raced by Richard Scott and Bob Evans in UK series 1975. To Len Gibbs for Keith Holland UK 1976 and early 1977. To Gerry Amato, then Allan Kayes for Group 8 in 1977. Then unknown until 'found in a garage in Cambridge' by Mike Connor and raced in a libre at Castle Combe Apr 1980. Next seen with Mick Hill 1982, who converted it into a "BMW M1" with 7.4-litre Chevrolet V8 for "GT" racing: raced in Donington GT series 1983 (shared between Hill and Kevin Riley). Also raced in Thundersports, co-driven by Riley 1983 and 1984 ... advertised by Straight Six (Tony Hildebrand) 1986 ... David Sheppard: raced in Thundersports, co-driven by Gary Dobbin, 1989 ... Ian Higgins (Boston, Lincolnshire) about 1990, and taken apart to recreate the Lola T400. To Shayne Windelburn (Auckland, New Zealand) around 1991. Raced by Windelburn in Australian and New Zealand historics from 2000 (or earlier), and raced regularly in the F5000 Tasman Revival from its start in November 2003, when he won the feature race at the opening round, to the 2017/18 season. More information about Lola T400 HU8
- Trojan T101  (Patrick Sumner): See full history: Trojan T101/104.
- Lola T330 [HU16] (Leen Verhoeven): See full history: Lola T330 HU16.
- Chevron B28 [28-74-02] (Derek Bell): See full history: Chevron B28 74-02.
- Chevron B30 [30-75-01] (David Purley): See full history: Chevron B30.
- Contender [McRae GM1-007] (Alan Rollinson): See full history: McRae GM1/007.
- Lola T330 [HU6] (Trevor Twaites): New to Australian Colin Hyams who raced it in the UK series in early 1973. To Trevor Twaites June 1973, and raced by him in the UK series in 1973, 1974 and 1975. Later to John Jordan (UK), who entered it for Tom Belso in 1977, and raced it himself in libre in 1978. Entered by Jordan for Dave Williams in libre racing 1983, and then for Tony Trimmer in the BRSCC Libre Championship from 1984 to 1989, winning the championship in 1986 and finishing second in 1987 and in 1988. At some point between 1985 and 1988, the T330 was dismantled and parts used by Dave Finnigan (Biggleswade, UK) to construct T332 "HU42" for Jordan's team. The original HU6 chassis remained with Finnigan until early 2000 when sold to Richard Lines (UK), then to Kevan McLurg (UK) 2005 and built into a complete car by McLurg and then by John Crawford's Motorsport Solutions NZ Ltd by July 2009. Owned by this time by Lindsay Willis of Wilco Racing (Rotorua, NZ), and raced by his son Brett Willis (Rotorua, NZ) in the F5000 Tasman Revival series every season from 2010/11 to 2017/18. More information about Lola T330 HU6
- Lola T332 [HU37] (Vern Schuppan): See full history: Lola T332 HU37.
- March 74A  (Mick Hill): Dempster Developments UK 1974: for Mike Wilds at R1 (second), then retubbed for R2 (second). Tested by Taylor prior to R3 Silvestone 6 Apr. For Wilds at R3 (sixth) then replaced by newer 74A/2 and returned to Bicester. Probably for Wilds again after destruction of 74A/2: three or four races (R10, R11, R13?, R14). To Mick Hill UK 1975 - Bill Blackledge (then based in Jamaica) 1976 and then via John Gunn Feb 1977 to Tom Jones: raced in Can-Am 1977 (2 races), SCCA FA 1978, Can-Am 1979 (2 DNS), Can-Am 1980 (1 DNS); retained 2010.
- Chevron B24 [24-73-06] (Dennis Leech): Built for 1973 season. Alan Brodie for Steve Thompson: raced in UK 1973, UK 1974 - Dennis Leech (Exeter, UK): raced in UK 1975 (heavily crashed in practice at R15 Mallory Park 12 Oct 1975 and not seen again). Subsequent history unknown but presumably wrecked,
- Lola T330 [HU21] (Gerry Amato): See full history: Lola T330 HU21.
- Chevron B24/B28 [24-73-08] (Andy Sutcliffe): See full history: Chevron B24 'B24-73-08'.
The identification of individual cars in these results is based on the material presented elsewhere in this site and may in some cases contradict the organisers' original results.
1969-1976 UK results have been researched and collated by Chris Townsend based primarily on material in Autosport and Motoring News. Information has been added from the growing collection of entry lists from programs.
Individual sources for this event
Patrick Sumner provided the organisers' official results for this race and times for one practice session. As well as revealing two starters not mentioned by Autosport or Motoring News (Sumner himself and Leen Verhoeven), the results sheet also mentions eight "non-starters", three of which (Schuppan, Leech and Amato) may not have been present at all.